[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I graduated May 2016 in Engineering from a good school in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: pd2h9flg9fmy.png (239KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
pd2h9flg9fmy.png
239KB, 780x438px
I graduated May 2016 in Engineering from a good school in the Midwest.

Haven't been able to find a job yet. I've had interviews but no offers.
A year ago I had several interviews with my favorite company in my dream location. Made it to last round of interviews but didn't get an interview.

Felt like I had my greatest hours in those interviews.

I don't know what to do with my life. I'm applying with no results. I've had my resume reviewed multiple times by my school's career center and others involved with HR and recruiting.

I just feel broke with no direction.
>>
>do STEM, you'll be guaranteed a job with 6 figures starting salary
You fell for the meme, didn't you?

As for actual advice: are you working any job at all? Because if not, the gap in your resume is just going to get bigger and bigger and it'll become more and more of a red flag.
>>
>>18714398
which engineering?
>>
>>18714419
mechanical
>>
>>18714398
Don't limit yourself geographically. Look at possibilities in other countries too, maybe even something like engineers without borders. Germany, for example, has a program (Blue Card EU) especially for engineers. Any experience is good experience and will make your later search easier.

Make sure you are applying for the right level of job too.
>>
Did you have any internships?
Did you join any professional societies?
How is your network?
When was the last professional meet up you attended and how many engineering managers did you schmooze when you were there?

Applying online is a meme. Career fairs are a meme. If tou want a good job you need to meet people. HR, interviews and online applications are just a formality. You should have the job locked down before they even see your resume.

t. Engineer who got a job out of school at the height of the worst oil market since the 80's
>>
whenever I hear these stories I immediately assume
1. autist with zero self-awareness who can't interview for shit
2. not a single internship or research experience
3. shithouse GPA
>>
>>18714398
I work in HR and I can offer you this general rule - if you don't get a job, it's because you stumbled at the last level you reached.

Your resume and record are fine - they got you interviews. Something is wrong with your interview performance.

I can't know what without watching you in action, but I advise you to go through monitored mock interviews and have an observer find your weak point.
>>
>>18714398
>in Engineering
what kind of engineering?
>>
>>18714422
>mechanical

did you pass the F.E. exam? If you didn't then that's the problem.
>>
>>18714398
Let me tell you a story, graduated december 2016 from Ivy League uni (from a 3rd world tier country) and state uni via dual diploma program as software engineer/comp sci. Have peer reviewed paper published in my field in 2 journals and conferences. Did 3 internships and developed small softwares and websites for 5 years (one of which won an award). Speak 3 languages...

Got interviewed by Lockheed martin and general dynamics, both couldnt hire me coz im not a citizen yet. Applied for hundreds of positions across the state (228 to be exact) most just didnt respond. Those that called me for an interview seemingly liked me but would not hire me even though i was fine working a bit over minimum wage.

Started working as a bouncer at a bar for 3 months then security at a construction site. Made the website, logo, SEO for a company, they offered me a job for $12/hr (Can't negotiate for more because i am unemployable apparently for an unknown reason) so i have been doing that for about 5 months now. Do have nice perks and promotion to an even easier position and 60k pay so thats all i got going for me.

Career office baffled on why, so is everyone else. I suggest 1. Get angry 2. Set your diploma on fire 3.Start from the bottom and work up, lie down on your resume to get the job. Thats what i did, if anyone has a better idea i'm open to suggestions
>>
>>18714416
i second that
>>
>>18715172
>coz im not a citizen yet

go back to india/china/korea/turkey or whatever other place you came from.

Go home and make "your" country benefit from the education you got in America.

We have plenty of American engineers who deserve those jobs more than you and that is why no one is giving you a job.
>>
>>18715207
>tfw from Ukraine
>will be drafted into the civil war if steps unto Ukrainian soil.
>The unit that i was assigned to got wiped by artillery fire.

Would admit pajeets who cannot speak english or use the toilet instead of people who are actually an asset. No wonder the country is going to shit.
>>
>>18715220
>from Ukraine
the average American does not make a distinction between Turkey and Ukraine and does not care about any distinctions that might exist

>Would admit pajeets
no. we don't want any of you. all you do is drag us down.

>will be drafted into the civil war if steps unto Ukrainian soil

sounds like you are needed at home. Go do your national duty instead of bitching that a foreign country wont give you preferential treatment over its own citizens.
>>
>>18715275
>sounds like you are needed at home. Go do your national duty instead of bitching that a foreign country wont give you preferential treatment over its own citizens.

I just told you, those people assign actual accomplished engineers to the front lines, if you cannot process how retarded that is, then there is not much to say. It is the people who do not want best and the brightest such as yourself that drag this country down such as yourself. I did not ask for preferential treatment, i ask them to use what is already given.

Thankfully i am employed where i am paid decent where i can shitpost most of the day and work on side projects with room for advancement.

Maybe next qualified engineer will see shit like this and will take his business elsewhere. In that case trust me, your Murican "Education" will not make any breakthroughs, %90 of Phd's in US are not US born but are assimilating. It is not bottom feeders that build the country it is the highly qualified men that do not need handouts to thrive. Push them far enough though and they will take their skills to the enemy.
I
>>
>>18715309
Sounds like you're a shitty coward who deserves to be shipped back to the shithole he came from. No wonder no one wants to hire you.
>>
>>18715275
>the average American does not make a distinction between Turkey and Ukraine
Wow i didnt know Americans were THAT stupid
Im sorry
>>
File: shrug.png (75KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
75KB, 500x327px
>>18715366
>is surprised that Americans don't give a shit about shithole countries on the other side of the planet.

is there some reason people should care?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.