[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 27. I finally gave up on my dream of being a graphic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: sucks.jpg (33KB, 435x327px) Image search: [Google]
sucks.jpg
33KB, 435x327px
I'm 27. I finally gave up on my dream of being a graphic designer, and now I have no clue what to do with my life.

I feel horrible. It's too late in my life to change my mind about careers. I wasted my life on this. My parents hate me for wasting their money on classes.

I don't know what to do. I feel like such a miserable failure, I just want to die. If I can't figure out my life by 30, I'm just going to end it all.
>>
Try a trade that is a. Cheap to get a certificate in and b. Relaxing.
Jobmonkey is a good website that talks about uncommon careers that are actually in demand and don't always need money for training.
Remember that money is just a tool and you need to first focus on doing something that is not stressful.
>>
>>18713773

>27 is too late to change their mind in careers.

most people change their careers twice in life, and no not before 27.
>>
>>18713785
I just can't get over my parents telling me off for wasting their money on my education. God, it makes me hate myself. They deserved a better son.
>>
File: 1481242446818.jpg (110KB, 850x398px) Image search: [Google]
1481242446818.jpg
110KB, 850x398px
>>18713773
I got fed up with graphic design during third year (out of four). I was one of the best students and I knew I wanted to study GD since middle school. Honestly idgaf. Why are you so upset? Why are you giving up on it? Do you have a job?
>>
>>18713804
Yeah, I work at a bicycle shop. It's a decent job, but it's not what I'm passionate about.

Design and illustration were giving me too much heartache, and I lost the drive for it. All the rejection finally wore me down.

It's my parents' disappointment and my youth wasted that really kill me.
>>
>>18713837
They didn't "deserve a better son" lol. You don't owe them anything. Get away from them for awhile and clear your head out.
>>
>>18713773

The myth of the one long continuous career is dumb and you were never going to make money as a graphic designer. That's totally OK, you can find great trade work or management or something else you currently have no idea you'd be good at. Doesn't have to be something you find now, you could start in your mid-thirties. All you have to do is survive until you feel a calling. 27 may feel like it's really late, but it's still so young compared to how long your life is.

It's helpful to think about it this way - if you don't figure out what you want to do until you're 35, if you retire at 65 you'll have had a 30-year career. Totally respectable if that type of thing is important to you.

Also, why do you care about what your parents think? You're 27. They paid for their kid's school and the school helped you figure out what you don't want to do. They may think it's a bummer you're not working on what you studied, but you are not the only millennial in that position. That sounds like their own shit they need to sort out, not something you should feel guilty about.
>>
>>18713992
bump
>>
>>18713802
My dude. Fuck them.
They don't deserve shit from you simple as that.
They brought you into this world. That what they did, raising you and making sure that you had what you needed was their responsibility. A parent owes their child the world, a child owes them back shit. Simple as that.

As for you, do what makes you happy. That's what life is about, finding what will make that you in the future that lays in his deathbed look back and say "Yeah, I had a good life".

You are your own person, not someone else's investment. Sure, they helped you to get that study in, but in the end if you are miserable, then they failed as parents for not guiding you to happiness.

That's what a parent should be for their child, a person that gives them the right tools to be happy after they are gone. That's it, if they expect you to be a meal ticket later then they deserve nothing.
>>
Been unemployed 8 months but cant work any time that isnt 8am. Every employer wants someone to be their schedule bitch but i have people to help. Fucking assholes
>>
Can I ask why you gave up on GD, OP? Do you have a degree or are you self-taught?

I'm in my 30s now and beyond redemption. Learning design was one of my copes for a while as I have some intermediate Adobe experience going back a few years now. But I realised I don't have the credentials to get a stable design job and that also, its actually a pretty shit job anyway. I mean, its a lot better than Mcjob wageslavery, but unless you have a well paid position at a creative agency, its a pretty shit job nonetheless
>>
>>18715296
I have a degree. I couldn't take the failure and rejection anymore.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.