[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have an addiction or am I just goalless/lazy? >played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

Do I have an addiction or am I just goalless/lazy?

>played videogames all my life, main hobby bar none, nothing ive tried comes even close to the excitement or coziness of some good games
>but blame a lot of shortcomings on it, like being antisocial with no friends, zero interest in sex life or family, starting to get obese, being unskilled at anything else, etc.
>psychologist, who obviously see zero value in playing games despite it being increasingly popular in youth, insists that i need to get out and basically get a life, but i can't figure out why i would be happier by not doing the one thing i've always liked
>>
>>18711802

My take on it is that video games are the new form of alcoholism/drug addiction. They're are not the root of the problem but merely a symptom.
You say video games ruined your life but you did that yourself. There are plenty of people playing video games that don't let them overtake their whole lives. Just like there are people able to have a beer and walk out of the bar. You used video games to escape whatever issues you had in your life now life is catching up to you. Pretty soon games themselves will lose their appeal or you'll be forced by circumstance to work and provide for yourself. The sooner you look for a job the better. I suggest asking friends or family for help in that regard if you can't get one yourself.
And yes video games ARE a waste of time. But so is a lot of other shit in life. I bet your psychologist waste their time too, just in different ways. The main difference is that they have some balance in their life whilst you do not.
>>
I've been in a bad place for a week or so. Re-evaluating my entire life/career path. Right now I'm doing nothing so it's put me in a depressed state. I don't know if I have full blown depression since I've only had it for a few days and it recedes and comes back.

I've found that videogames are not the problem. The problem is that I'm indulging myself too much in these things not as a hobby, or something to do in my 'off time', but something I do just by instinct. I don't think you should 'eliminate' playing videogames from your life, but definitely cut back on it. Make it something you do to relax after actually accomplishing something. I find that when I actually worked and was separated from games or the internet or what have you all day long and only get ~4 hours to indulge myself, I'm actually happier that way. It feels like I 'earned' the right to relax and kick back, rather than being behind the computer all day, going to sleep, and being behind the computer all day tomorrow.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.