[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I go for serious mental help? I can't afford psychiatry,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1375251237985.png (43KB, 542x602px) Image search: [Google]
1375251237985.png
43KB, 542x602px
Where do I go for serious mental help? I can't afford psychiatry, are mental wards effective at all? I don't really know the procedure for checking myself into one of these.

I tried contacting some online help thing and after filling out a health survey they reviewed it and contacted me saying my issues are too severe for online help and that I should seek help in person, but how do I do that? If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.
>>
>>18704829
Literally no need for that unless you're a fag or transgender. Think about your ancestors and how they did just fine, you're making it sound more serious than it is.
>>
What's your issue (you don't have to divulge specific details)?
>>
>>18704861
>think about how ancestors handled it
They fucking died. I assume that OP does not want to die, right ?
>>
>>18704829
In my country we have government funded sessions. i'm not sure if that applies for you, but worth looking up
Wards work depending on what you're looking for, but mostly they're just a place to stop people from killing themselves. But for me it was good in the sense I was cut from technology and they put a lot of routine into your day, mostly you have a lot of clear headed time to think about where you're heading.
Hotlines are always a possibility, might be good to talk to someone without the face
>>
>>18704892

Lots, not really sure talking about it is the way to fix it, at least not talking with someone who isn't a professional.

>>18704898

Aren't there limits on how long you can stay though? I've heard they kick you out after a week

God damn, why does /adv/ give me so many connection errors, literally the only board on 4chan to do this
>>
>>18704973
My reason for asking wasn't so much because I wanted to volunteer to be your online-unlicensed- anonymous-therapist, but it was to give you a more precisely tuned response on where you should seek help. There's not a one size fits all answer in the U.S. In many parts of the country, there isn't anyone to hear mental cases on an outpatient basis or vice versa. And if there are resources, they're usually stretched thin, and it takes weeks to see someone and follow up.

So again, if you want me to give you a more measured response, perhaps looking up things for a few mins for you, then feel free to give me a general and abbreviated description of your issues, your age, your income level, whether you're on any insurance plan right now, and your general geographic location (you don't have to give me a city if you're that paranoid).

Also, I'm a third year psych undergrad whose pursuing a minor in counseling. Unless an actual professional rolls by (unlikely in this cesspool), then sometimes you have to take what you can get (a person like me).
>>
>>18704973
Not the case, they assess you at the end. Some people had been in there for months. I was checked in by my psych, but you could probably just go to your local doctor and ask to be referred somewhere.
>>
>>18704999

Sorry if what I typed seemed mean I didn't mean for that to be my tone, I worried it might come off that way when I typed it. Oh well.

In any case, mental issues run in my family and I'm worried I'm going to snap soon. I feel like I'm close to killing myself and potentially other people. Got to this spot in my life through childhood abuse, neglect and isolation. My first wet dream involved me getting eaten alive by a classmate, and I bit her throat just before waking up, I was maybe 5 or so. Had a cannibalism fetish ever since. When I get bothered or stressed, I listen to tapes of people screaming and browse the suffering board on double chan (basically an edgy board for sadists). I don't enjoy inflicting pain or anything like that, something about the general atmosphere is just really relaxing.

My income is trash, I can't afford maybe more than a couple hundred extra dollars every month or so and that won't improve for a while. I was considering going to a psych ward to maybe get some medication, or whatever it would take to calm me down. Current state was exacerbated by my sister getting locked into a psych ward, a long fight with my dad who I've only seen maybe a handful of times in the last 10 years, and all kinds of other shit. Cleaned my place up and cut all contact with friends/relatives and have been eyeballing my shotgun, haven't had the nerve to kill myself yet though. If you can help, let me know. I cut out the details and a lot of other problems for space. If you can help, let me know.

4chan thinks my post is spam so here are extra letters so that my post is reformatted
>>
>>18705033
Alright....

You do indeed have some serious mental pathology that's borderline dangerous. I'm not even going to try to speculate on the couple of disorders it may be. I cannot help you. I'm way out of my league here.

You need to see someone with a doctorate degree, psychologist (Ph.D) or psychiatrist (M.D.). Don't waste your time with the MFT 'counselors' or 'therapists' people, they're basically one step above an undergrad like me, with very little training/clinical experience in diagnosing and treating abnormal psychology.

I get no pleasure out of saying this, but if you're seriously having thoughts of self-harm or thoughts of harming others, then you need to immediately call 911 and let the police be your first point of contact. It's an express one way ticket to a psych ward, if you tell them what you told us, especially about you eying that shotgun.

It's the weekend, so a lot of the outpatient clinics and government offices will be closed. If anything reaches a fever pitch this weekend, then you need to immediately call 911. If you have an apprehension about going through the cops, then you can check yourself in to whatever major hospital you have in your area, and they should have an on-call psychiatrist. The bad thing about navigating around the cops, is that you're at the discretion of the attending physician and the billing people of the hospital. Since you're indigent, then they might literally just kick you out since you're occuypiing a hospital bed that can be used on a 'paying customer (i.e. patient). Sorry, but that's how little fucks the American health industry cares about mental health cases, especially those of poor folks.

Let me think of some more shit while I go take a smoke. By the way, I'm operating under the assumption that you're in the U.S.
>>
>>18705088

Yeah, might go the 911 route. As of right now my fear of hell keeps me from going too far, but I've just had a long string of bad nights. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>18705033
Alright, back.

Here's the issue (one of them at least): your lack of insurance. You need to go to your local welfare office, Office of Health and Human Services in the US, and ask to speak to a case worker (social worker) immediately. Don't waste your time with a front desk minimum wage worker. Tell them, you literally need help that day, and that you're indigient and there to apply for medicaid. That case (social) worker is honestly your best point of contact because they have all the referral power and authority to expedidate your case to a state psych ward. They're honestly, more useful than that ER doctor, who usually will just call the social worker in the morning, if they haven't kicked you already.

You're basically skipping a step by just going to them. You getting on medicaid (free government insurance) is essential, more doors will open to you, and hospitals will be in less of a position to get off one of their hospital beds, since they'll be getting paid something at least. There has to be at least one social worker working on a weekend if your county is large enough, so you better start looking up some numbers tommorow morning, and you need to try to get in touch with them. Again, I cannot stress enough how a social worker is your point of contact at this point in time.

Having re-read your post a couple of times. It's in my (unprofessional opinion) that you require a level of care that's beyond the scope of walk-in outpatient clinics, which just have those worthless therapists I told you about, and maybe an actual doctor with prescribing powers, maybe once a month, twice if you're lucky. So what I'm getting at is that you need to be admitted somewhere. I don't think you can treat your severe issues at a snail's pace in other words.

Most of the lazy doctors will write you a prescription for an SSRI type mood stablizer. If my gut feeling is right, then you're beyond this class of medication. Those take WEEKS to work too.

Will cont.
>>
>>18705146
Alright.

Last thing. Re-establish contact with your closest confidants. If you don't have any real friends. Then anyone will do. It's incredibly important to have someone to talk to you, if you actually do snap. They might be able to pull you from the brink before you use that shotgun, and end your life. Removing that shotgun from your house is one of the best things you can do to save your life. If you're in a lucid state of mind, then honestly, find a way to dispose of it. Have one of your relatives/friends take it away. Hell, have the police take it away, if and when you decide to call them, and make sure you tell them there's a gun in the house, so you don't die suicide by cop.

You're in a very bad spot. It sounds to me like you feel like the walls are closing in. You obviously have dysfunctional interpersonal relationships. And although you may not feel like you will actually go through with anything -- you don't know that for certain. With certain mental disorders, it's like you lose your sense of being and someone else takes over -- kinda like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. So, you've had these thoughts of harm to yourself, and others, so you really need to stress this to whomever speak to. If some doctor/state authority doesn't get you the right help, then just make sure it wasn't because of your own fault. Don't be coy or too embarassed to recount every little detail. If you give them the impression, and they're just an average depression case, maybe some average edgy kid, then they will not move things quickly. At the start of this thread, you said you needed help quickly. So please, just be open and candid. Do it for yourself and others.

Well anon, I can't make you a false promise that things will start to look up, not with that background. But I will say this. Your life can get a lot worse, like something out of a horror movie, if you don't get the right help. And your ONLY chance of improvement is to reach out for that help. Do what you can.
>>
>>18705183

I will try tommorow, thanks for the advice. The gun stays, though. It's my way out, plan B. If I get too close to doing something terrible, I'll shoot myself first. I'm going to keep that option on the table.
>>
>>18705216
Alright man. I tried to pry you away from the gun because any sane person would tell you that even having a gun, makes you thousands of times more likely to kill yourself. It's the right thing to do--to get rid of your gun if you want to live through this ordeal. This often gets repeated but suicide is a permanent solution to usually a temporary problem.

Also quickly, I just want to empathize with you on a human level. I've had a fucked up life. Most of my friends have had fucked up lives too. I've thought about killing myself before. One of my highest achieving friends nearly killed herself a decade ago. When you're in your late teens and early twenties, and you have serious issues, usually with shitty partners/family, then everyone goes into a hole. Some climb out of it. And some don't. But my point being, even the most normie person you know of in your personal life, has probably has the blues as we call it. Depression is a natural phase in life for most people.

So I'm sounding really cliche, but yes, there are lows and highs in life. You're on a low right now. But if you give yourself the chance, then you can and will experience a high. You just have to give yourself a chance. Using that shotgun will eliminate all possibilities. So don't use it anon.

Stay safe, and good luck.
>>
>>18704973
turn off adblock on adv, causes errors sometimes
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.