[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any career paths that don't involve being surrounded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Head-in-hands.jpg (7KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
Head-in-hands.jpg
7KB, 290x174px
Are there any career paths that don't involve being surrounded by low-IQ anti-intellectual phonies who pretend to care about their jobs even though they know in their heart that their work is meaningless and they're only there for the salary?

Because software certainly seems to be that way. I've been through so many interviews and an internship where I've had to pretend to give a shit about the company's shitty useless web apps and I could tell that everyone else was doing the same. I don't want any part of this. I definitely don't want to spend 40 hours of my life every week doing this.
>>
>>18701326
I'm a "senior software developer" drone at one of the companies you speak of. Trust me when I tell you that almost everyone feels that way. When interviewing prospective hires, people become super critical and put you under a magnifying glass that most current employees would fail. I work with many people whom I would personally fire on the spot, but the fact is that hiring top-tier people is very difficult, and firing every idiot you see would literally destroy your company.

The only solution is to start your own software company, honestly. You could also become a contractor, but that's a little less steady.
>>
>>18701326
>Are there any career paths that don't involve being surrounded by low-IQ anti-intellectual phonies who pretend to care about their jobs even though they know in their heart that their work is meaningless and they're only there for the salary?

That very statement leads me to believe that you are a pseudo intellectual prick who doesn't know shit about anything. How old are you? I'm willing to be you're in your early 20's and you think you know everything.
Go out and get some perspective and change your attitude and you'll be happier in your life.
An idiot thinks he knows everything,
A wise person understands they still have much to learn.
>>
>>18701385
I know I don't know everything, which is why I would prefer to be around smart people who have respect for their field. Not people who got into their field to make dough and are now selling their souls to their company.
I wish I could change my attitude. I'd like to have a positive outlook. But I find it very hard not to be cynical given the type of people I've met in the industry so far. You're right that I'm young - I'm still in school and still trying to understand what I want to do with my life.
>>
File: eQ20E.jpg (82KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
eQ20E.jpg
82KB, 384x313px
this used to drive me crazy and make me almost suicidal, but then i started praying, reading the Bible, and going to church. i stopped being upset and it seemed like opportunities kept coming out of nowhere to make my life better (professional connections, friends, potential dating partners, special projects at work, better communication skills at work, less stress). can't really explain how it happened other than God. i also like to meditate sometimes (just close my eyes and sit there for 20min, no focus or rituals or mantra or whatever)
>>
technical knowledge isn't everything in life. in fact, you, as a technician/professional, aren't much more than a tool for someone else to make money. your employers usually want you to do one specific thing, but they don't give a fuck about HOW you do it, so, IMO, you shouldn't feel to important for being a technical person... because someone COULD do what you do in an easier and cheaper way. granted, could be a worse solution to the problem, but employers usually want something that works, and nothing else. they don't give a shit about your knowledge, you are just a resource, a number.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.