[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with vapid normies in a way that isn't obnoxiously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 1479119286868.jpg (243KB, 905x727px) Image search: [Google]
1479119286868.jpg
243KB, 905x727px
How do you deal with vapid normies in a way that isn't obnoxiously condescending?

For example, all of my coworkers are dull basic bitches or normies, they have vapid non conversations, conventional interests and make unfunny jokes with a clearly observable social power dynamic with some almost worshiping others. How does one deal with this without openly declaring that they're above it all and alienating themselves or going insane and losing their personality?
>>
>>18696690
You just seem like an ingenuine dick, even when you're nice and that's the rest of your life.
>>
>>18696690
>How does one deal with this without openly declaring that they're above it all and alienating themselves or going insane and losing their personality?

Well, you are clearly an arrogant asshole, so yeah, long term human interaction would require you to lose your personality. You'd be doing the world a favor, though.
>>
>>18696690

Stop basking so much in the smell of your own farts and try pulling your head out of your ass, see if that works.
>>
>>18696695

Why is that?

I'm perfectly genuine, I just don't fit in with anyone's personalities at work and don't want to be obnoxious and alienate myself from everyone, Nor do I want to go along with their dumb bullshit and go insane. What am I supposed to do? Declare that I think everyone is basic trash and be scorned?
>>
>>18696700
>>18696703

I am fine with human interaction, I just have absolutely nothing in common with these people.
>>
>>18696720
>I am fine with human interaction, I just have absolutely nothing in common with these people.

Humans interact with people they have nothing in common all the time. It's part of keeping a job and living in an apartment complex, or any other of the things we do in the modern world. Just make small talk and move on with your day.

If you find like minded people to hang out with at your job, awesome. But most people are just coworkers and nothing else. Dont' worry so much about them.
>>
>>18696733

>Humans interact with people they have nothing in common all the time. It's part of keeping a job and living in an apartment complex, or any other of the things we do in the modern world. Just make small talk and move on with your day

Yeah I get that, I do that, all very well and good. I don't mind making small talk, but my job is not one where I can make small talk and then get on with what I'm supposed to be doing. I work at my university with other students, we are constantly exposed to each other, there is a constant conversation, it feels awkward to not say anything, or at the very least the other person will feel awkward if there is minor small talk considering that all of the rest of the group I work with seem to get along very well.
>>
>>18696754
>at the very least the other person will feel awkward if there is minor small talk considering that all of the rest of the group I work with seem to get along very well.

What they are having now is small talk, dude. That's why it sounds so phony and hollow. They aren't frineds with one another, they are just coworkers.
>>
>>18696690
>not condescending
>vapid normies
Its impossible for you. Your personality is extremely smug and arrogant. What you are asking is how to hide how you really feel which is only possible by either not saying anything or by just saying the opposite of how you feel.
A normal human being would be able to articulate that they arent into the conversation while being friendly and welcoming. This is why sarcastic personalities are only good when you are circle jerking.
>>
all the normie apologists in this thread should be rounded up and culled to be honest with you
>>
>>18696789

See what I mean, >>18696690 OP? Every group shit talks other people. Now, ganging up on someone to bully them is not good, but shit talking happens all the time.
>>
>>18696772

Really?

They're constantly joking around and seem to find each other hilarious
>>
>>18696789
>>18696806

Sorry, wrong thread. I should go to bed, I don't know what I'm doing anymore.
>>
>>18696690
Anon, everyone in this thread is going to treat you like you're the problem, (and it's possible that you may be.) But I too came here, asking a similar question when I obtained my current job. And though I would have phrased it differently, I understand where you're coming from.

First off, you're only able to improve yourself in this situation. You cannot control how other people respond. So what you need to do is improve your converstional skills and developers a "scouting repertoire". Learn to talk to people in such a way that they divulge information about themselves, then use that to build conversations with them.

Your coworkers my seem like "normies", but they may have hobbies or interests that are far more interesting than your own.

Just as a word of advice, I would also she'd any aspects of worldview that you may have obtained from /r9k/. They may be right some of the time, but they are cringeworthy man-babies ALL of the time.
>>
>>18696690
Why do you believe that you are superior to these people? They probably think you're as weird as you think they are.
>>
>>18696690
How about you pull the buttplug out of your ass and stop thinking you're some super genius who has it all figured out. You're not, you're just another faggot on 4chan who doesn't know how to interact with others and find happiness in normal shit.
>>
>>18696832
>>18696835

I am weird, I don't have the interests that these people have, most of the hobbies I have are fairly niche, I listen to music that is different to most.

My co-workers are perfectly nice people, but seem very conventional. I can guess with some pretty great accuracy what they are interested in, and I am usually right.

>>18696826

I see what you mean, maybe I should show some more interest in these people to try and understand them better, but when I do engage they seem to not be that interested in interacting with me.

Also I know what you mean about /r9k/, that place is a poisonous hellhole of dumbasses with sad lives and no social awareness whatsoever.
>>
>>18696973
Who gives a shit about what kind of music you listen to? You sound boring as fuck and simple as hell if that's the top thing you think of that defines you or that you think makes you different from them.
>hurrrr I listen to some dipshit songs but not the dipshit songs the other people listen to
People have a lot more in common than you think and it's 17-19 year old dumbasses who define themselves or others by their choice in music. Adults define themselves by shit that actually matters. Put in some effort on your part to be part of the group and there's 99.9% chance it will be reciprocated or keep staying in your autistic little edgelord bubble thinking you're above it all.
>>
>>18697027

Please relax, it's just an example of how ones interests can differ. Your are defined by your tastes and choices. I'm just trying to outline that these people have different personalities to me and I find it hard to establish common ground.
>>
>>18696690
I don't understand the replies from haters of you. So at least 1 person doesn't hate you.
>>
>>18697033
Yeah people's interests can differ but do you even know what your co-workers/normies interests are? Have you bothered to ask them? Have you tried to ask them about things that interest them, or have you sat back like a "vapid, condescending normie" yourself instead? I'd be willing to bet money you haven't really talked to them past 30 second "hello" type shit. Some perspective will do you wonders.
>>
>>18696690
I also struggle with normal people for the reasons you mentioned but bro you're just making excuses, it doesn't take much herd sense to not be a dick. I'm always the weirdo people grow to like because I'm actually just detached and hella real.
>>
>>18697055

I have spent literally all day talking to these people, so yes.

One of them does dance, one likes football (soccer), another is very interested in partying at the students union, another is a huge fan of Beyonce etc etc

I do know what these people are interested in, I have asked them, I'm well aware that if I mentioned more of my interests I would get more looks and attitudes of 'what even is that' or 'lol thats so out there' like has already happened. Some people are different to eachother, some people are very similar to eachother. These people are free to be their own people and I have no qualms with that, I am just very different to them and they all get along swimmingly.

So instead of wasting time in this thread telling me how much of a shitbag I am and making assumptions that I didn't try to make friends with these people you can attempt to answer the question of 'how do I interact with people that are obviously different from me in a way that doesn't equate to losing my sense of self or being declarative to them of how different I am' or leave.

I obviously wouldn't be here if I felt that I can mind my own business and go home.
>>
Their non-conversations, normies judge you by how so-called "neurotypical" you are above everything - your ability to have those worthless non-conversations where the only purpose is apparently to maintain a good mood.

The hierarchy - your beauty/sex appeal, your age, your clothes, very much how well you know about normie media (normie shows, movies, music, sports, politics whatever else they pass time with...)

If you have none of these traits in a positive way you would most easily take a few minutes to learn how sports work, learn how to hold conversations. You don't have to change for them to like you, just create the illusion that they live in.
>>
>>18696690
There is no way.

The very definition of condescending is looking down upon.

Also smart guy you should realise the universe is huge youre a speck and nothing matters.

On the scale of importance intelligence and superiority, if you were any better, the difference is so small its totally negligable.

You like the things you like, let them like what they like.
>>
>>18696707
>i just dont want to alienate myself from them

Sounds good.

>i dont want to be involved in their dumb shit

And wrong turn. Thats the part that makes you obnoxious.
>>
>>18697086
In addition to this I would advise you not to seperate yourself from 'normalfags' that much, remeber you are too a human no matter how different from their basic tribe you are. You are a part of us.
>>
>>18697101

Yeah I have no problem with the fact that they are fairly conventional, that's ok. I'm just asking for a way to get through the day in a manner that makes it feel less like I'm using up my social batteries through it. With my friends or even people I don't know that are similar to me (or even very different, but with similarlt niche interests) it doesn't feel this way.

>>18697103

I'm aware that it's obnoxious, that's where the problem lies. I don't want to alienate myself, but I also don't want to be involved with things that I care absolutely nothing about.
>>
>>18696973
This is a good way to have a conversation you perceive as boring in the workplace.

>1. Are they busy or disinterested in conversation? If so, don't even worry about it. At most, make small talk. You're there to work, not hang out. (If you work at a place that requires you to have conversation with coworkers, allow them to spark conversation first, or approach with one of the following.)

>2. Everyone likes movies of some form or another. Openly ask if they've seen anything interesting lately, or what their favorite movie is. Not only will this start you off with a broad topic, it will also let you gauge for other interests or their personal tastes. You may be surprised, I found out that one of my quietest coworkers is a horror film buff, and that he has a lot of interesting hobbies related to that.

>3. Ask about their family. Older people tend to be invested in their family, and if you ask about their kids or spouse, it may shed some light on who they are, in turn. Also, ask about siblings, or even where your coworkers are originally from. This may bring up positive or negative things about their past, but as long as you're considerate, this may open to conversations of genuine interest. But remember, these are your coworkers. Don't be pushy, and just make light conversation.

>4. Once you do manage to spark a conversation, make sure to gauge whether the person seems interested in a discussion. Make sure to pause periodically to change the pace of conversation. Ask them their opinion on things related to the conversation.

>5. Lastly: I get the impression that you're particularly young. Take this advice to heart. Become familiar with the concept of the Dunning–Kruger effect.This is the concept that the more you think you know about something, the less you may actually know. You may think that your coworkers are all boring normies, but that likely means that there is a lot more to them than you realize. This concept is actually true for most things.
>>
>>18697120
That you ignored both my replies makes me think you too are a normie who can't relate.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.