[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do when the only thing you want in life is impossible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 118_Figure03bNEW.jpg (164KB, 350x268px) Image search: [Google]
118_Figure03bNEW.jpg
164KB, 350x268px
What do you do when the only thing you want in life is impossible?

My entire life, I've wanted to be a 90s game designer. I want more than anything on this Earth to be a "game god" from the technology boom in the 80s and 90s.

It's now impossible to have an impact on the game industry and the world the way those people did. The birth of computers, the internet, CDs, etc. You can't do that again. You can't make first-class games with a couple of your friends, you need giant teams to make AAA games.

What do I do? I've since pursued a career in games but even after all these years, it hasn't really taken off. I wanted to be iconic and legendary at this, and as a kid we we're all told we can be anything we want. I want to be a 90s game designer more than I want to breathe.
>>
Think about Undertale. That game was (as far as I know) created by one dude. Just brainstorm, and if you think you have a good idea, work at it and put it on Steam. Problem solved.

Looking forward to what you come up with!
>>
do you want a writer, anon?
>>
Do you want a manager and sound designer?
>>
>>18693395
You can find some niche that's on the way up and become the god of that.

If you want me to be more specific: there's a movement online based on making things called Explorable Explanations (see explorabl.es), but most of the people there are better at the education and presentation and domain-specific knowledge than they are at making their toys fun to play with, so they could use someone with your background.

But in case that doesn't float your boat . . . your heroes got to be big fishes because they were in a smaller pond, and so can you. You know the industry better than me: what weird niches are currently underserved?

(that's not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious)
>>
>>18693395
Plenty opensource retro games around. You could be doing it every single day of the week, just don't expect it to pay your bills, at least not in the short term.
>>
>>18693432
Do you have any music samples?
>>
>>18693422
What I'd truly like to see is you to write your own game, with other people like myself helping you out, under the same umbrella. Like how Sierra had Al Lowe make the leasure suit Larry series on his own, for example.
>>
>>18693458
Weird niches in video games? I'm sure there are practically limitless weird ideas to try, but many would not catch on.

An example of a hit game comes to mind called Crypt of the Necrodancer. It's a dungeon crawling, dancing game.

Need my game to have hooks that want people to try it. I've made a couple shitty little games that basically no one has played. One of my Android games has like 200 Downloads.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.