[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

International student considering getting a US bachelor's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

This is really important to me so please give me 3 or 4 minutes of your time to gimme an advice or two
>Be me.
>17, graduating June 2018.
>Living in Morocco
>2 aunts and an uncle living in North Carolina ( Citizens ).
>Took the SAT instead of the TOEFL so I can apply for some juicy scholarships...
>Get hit by the fact that the area where my family lives only has a community college and a state university. - Both don't offer scholarships to international students...
>Realize I'll have to suck my middle-class parents for my education ( moroccan middle class my mates ... moroccan middle-class ... $20k/year )
>Make a fucking Excel file to see how much attending a community college to get an associate's before transferring to a 4-year college to get my bachelor's since it's gonna be cheaper...

Kk Now that you know all that, I can type...
So, my two first years in CC will cost $18k ( Out of state tuition is 4.5k per semester, 2 years = 4 semesters ).
Then the 2 last years at the 4-year college will cost $40k...( 10k per semester..)
My family will cover the living expenses.
So the idea is to pay the community college tuition by part time working at a restaurant or smthn...(sadly, illegally since international students are only allowed to hella cheap on campus work), and by the help of my parents, but right after my associate's take a student loan ( 40k ).
Do you think it is a good idea to do so? I will major in Business administration / Management.

+ Do you think I can pay off my debt with that major?
>>
Alright as a former International Student (and now Immigrant) to/in the US I can offer some advice.

Is your plan to stay in the US after you graduate?
>>
>>18693367
>>18693390
It will probably take you more than 4 years, how strong of a student are you? I really really don't recommend 2 years of community college.

I tried to do 2 myself, it didn't work. I ended up being there for 3 and I then I had to go on and do 3 more at university...
>>
-Yes I plan on staying.
- I can hard as hard as it takes. Is it impossible?
>>
Damn it I lost my OP window...
I don't use 4chan that often idk how to get it back
>>
>>18693430
You will get royally screwed if it's found out you did work under the table.
>>
>>18693456
Oh shit, I'm gonna take the risk
>>
>>18693424
>-Yes I plan on staying.

alright.

In that case you don't want to study Business or Management. That is not a field that will make finding visa sponsorship viable. (keep in mind that paying of the US loan with an income in your home country might be really difficult)

So you are looking to change your subject to something in STEM. Engineering or Comp Sci.

If your goal is to move to the US I'd advise you to finish your bachelors in your home country and then go to the US for a masters degree. This is shorter, if you are in the STEM field you will find scholarships (maybe even a fullride) AND will make sponsorship for a visa post graduation a lot easier.
>>
>>18693459
>>18693464
The chance of you getting a Visa to stay in the US is so fucking small I wouldn't even consider it...
>>
>>18693464
I see, so you are saying that Business or Management field employers don't offer visa sponsorship?
And, did you take more than 4 years to get your bachelors?
>>
>>18693469
What do you mean?
>>
>>18693469
>The chance of you getting a Visa to stay in the US is so fucking small I wouldn't even consider it...

Its not that bad.

If you graduate with a masters from an US University you won't be in the regular work visa pool (~25% chance of getting a visa) but in a separate one (65% chance of getting a visa).

These are the numbers for last years lottery.

>>18693476
> so you are saying that Business or Management field employers don't offer visa sponsorship?

Yes.

>And, did you take more than 4 years to get your bachelors?

I did my Bachelors in Germany and finished in three years.
>>
>>18693489
I really am interested in Management, science is something I had enough of...
So you are saying it is a bad idea to count on working after getting my bachelor's in the US with a management bachelor's and I should let that idea go?
Thanks for your help btw
>>
>>18693367
>take loan
>study
>escape the U.S
>never return, learn any scandinavian language/german
>move to europe

congrats, you just studied for free and fucked over the banks
>>
>>18693502
>So you are saying it is a bad idea to count on working after getting my bachelor's in the US with a management bachelor's and I should let that idea go?

Yes its just very unlikely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

A better option (though still rather adventurous) would be to get your degree at home, try to land a job with a big American company in your home country and then, after some years request a transfer to the US.

Inner Company work visas are a lot easier to get (if your employer WANTS to send you to the US) than regular work visas.
>>
>>18693510
Man I had that passing over my head lmaaao, I already speak english french arabic and spanish, but doesn't the bank sue u internationally?
>>18693511
Thanks for your help man, appreciate it.
>>
>>18693522
not sure. some months ago I read an article about american students taking loans and escaping to germany.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qbx7dm/talking-to-american-debt-dodgers-who-moved-to-europe-to-avoid-paying-off-their-student-loans-111
>>
>>18693522
>but doesn't the bank sue u internationally?

You won't get a loan on your own. Your parents will need to co-sign it (basically saying they will pay if you don't).

And yes, bailing on a loan WILL haunt you.
>>
>>18693533
Oh yeah forgot about the co-signing thingy, I'm not ready to fuck over my aunt/uncle lol
>>
>>18693367
>Do you think I can pay off my debt with that major?

No one can pay off their debt with ANY major, so I wouldn't worry about this question in particular. That having been said, getting a degree in something that vague/general is borderline a kiss of death, career wise. All that says, on your resume, is "I know how to do paperwork". Big deal, anyone can be taught how to do that.

As an American, I'm not even bothering with a college education. But I have that luxury because I'm a legal US citizen with a security net here (friends/family/etc). Free college tuition is on the ballot for A LOT of states, so personally I'm waiting to see how that shakes out for my super liberal state.

The best advice I can give you, after attending community college for 2 years before moving out of state, is to WAIT for instate tuition rules to apply. Most colleges have a residency requirement of at least a year, so that'd give you a year to work on citizenship/scholarships/employment/place to stay/etc. Buys you time, and you'll pay cheaper tuition once you DO save up to go.

When you do go, pick the job you want BEFORE declaring your major. Go for "general studies" until you find it, or drop out until you decide (like I did). A vague degree is a waste of money, time, and energy. For most of your future employers AND yourself.

This is all shit I wish someone had told me in HS but no one did because it was the Recession and all they said was "follow your dreams, you'll be fine!" Shits not true AT ALL. Follow your goals for financial security. College degrees have depreciated in value A SHIT TON. They want us thousands in debt so we'll have thousands of reasons to continue working jobs we hate for the rest of our lives.
>>
>>18693675
This not true.

No one can make you do anything, and at the end of the day it's better to be educated then a dumbass monkey.
>>
>>18693367
Fuck off were full
>>
>>18693849
We're full.
You fucking disgrace.
And OP, that is a good plan but think of anotger major.
>>
>>18693846
Kind of ironic considering the grammar mistakes you just did
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.