[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a bit of a unique question. My friend thinks he's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1500836374590.jpg (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1500836374590.jpg
46KB, 600x600px
I have a bit of a unique question.

My friend thinks he's a smart but lazy type because he has bretty gud standardized test scores but literally flunked classes that were essentially show up and learn. He thinks that getting high scores means that he's much smarter than people who aced intense classes, but didn't do as well on standardized testing.

How do I convince him that "smart but lazy people" aren't as "smart" as they think they are? Granted, I know that getting decently high scores is a great feat and I'm proud of him, but I don't feel like dealing with that egotism.
>>
>>18691711
he's probably smart but not as smart as he thinks. Usually what happens is they continue along this path of the "smart but lazy" until they fuck up or get average scores to have an average life and average family. Or what I've seen with my friends start hard drugs. My guess is they just had some smartness and general knowledge at one point and just cruised through life there on learning very little. But to answer your question who's smarted, obviously the guys who aced the classes. it doesn't matter how much time they put in really when its only the actually test takers future on the line.
>>
>>18691722
As the ability to help shift and build ones future based on actions in the present is also a factor in intelligence not just current affairs (like happiness from sleeping in late and missing class)
>>
>>18691722
>>18691728
Please can someone say I did good?
>>
Once others start reaching their potential after high school, "smart but lazy" becomes just lazy. Turns out that most people are really good at something or another, those that are good at standardized testing or sports just happen to be revealed sooner than most.

I was always the "dumb one", with my suspected learning disabilities, but these days I'm the only one of my friends who is still actively learning.
>>
Literally no 'smart but lazy' person has ever accomplished anything in life, it's the stupidest thing to be proud of. It's like people who are proud of not reading books or understanding math.
>>
>>18691728
>>18691731

I agree that smart people should be long term planners and with what else you said but how do I explain that to him?
>>
>>18691711
Your friend sounds like an arrogant little suit. I have met these kinds of people before, and they are not that smart. Some people do well on tests because they simply test well. Others do better with classwork and projects instead. You can tell him if he was so smart he wouldn't be lazy. Sadly though he is just setting himself up for a massive fall when testing won't mean shit.
>>
>>18691743
you cant, sorry m8.
he will just rationalise and dodge every point you made with "muh test scores compared to hours revised". if u wanna actually stand a chance, just give him the link to this thread.
>>18691748
honestly I was one of the "smart but lazy" crowd in school but stopped when school mattered the most and did the old classic of "sorted myself out and succeeded" and it did wonders on my cv and application to university but if he doesn't recognise soon that it will blow up in his face he is fucked like u say
>>
>>18691711
This is going to sound at first like a digression but bear with me. IQ tests used to be thought to measure intelligence, but more than 50 years ago they were discredited, and now nobody but people who don't know takes them seriously.

And here's where it is relevant to your friend. The reason they were discredited is that it was discovered that some people have a knack for taking standardized tests. Some people could score pretty well on a standardized test in a subject they knew nothing about, just because they know how to "psych out" the test.

So IQ tests measure only one thing - your skill at taking IQ tests. And your friend has only one skill -taking tests - that says nothing about his intelligence or mastery of a subject.
>>
>>18691775
Sounds like you don't understand how I tests actually work.

>>18691711
OP, none of that matters in real life. The only things that matter are your own decisions on how to live your life, and how you interact with the world around you. Trying to prove that one definition of "smart" is better than someone else's definition is juvenile. Not trying to offend you, just pointing out that you need to look at the bigger picture here.
>>
>>18691790
*IQ* tests
>>
>>18691790
Google "IQ tests discredited" and read some of the many citations
>>
We all know types like your friend. They're annoying and not as smart as they think. But the question is why do you care? You're no better than him if you want to desperately try to bring him down.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.