[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 22, almost 23, never lived away from home in the counrty,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

I'm 22, almost 23, never lived away from home in the counrty, going to grad school in NYC. I feel like I'm a 5 years old. I'm sitting in my new appartment I just moved into today crying. I want to go home so bad. I'm not even going into a stem field. I want to be a professor for acting.

What the fuck is wrong with me, why am I so weak?
>>
>>18679953
You WILL adjust to your new surroundings. Give it time. In the meantime,dont call yourself weak. Thats the worst thing you can do to yourself, feel pain, then keep punishing yourself for it.
>>
>>18679972
Thanks man. I just wish I could take the school and put it closer to home
>>
>>18679953
I moved half the world away when I was 17, and settled down pretty quick. everything was new and culture shock was so big I was doing stuff that I wouldn't do now. you should be adventurous and daring and explore what NYC can offer you. most creative people on earth aspires to be there for a reason
>>
So far, every single time I start a new job, I have a phase where I only see the negatives. I feel like I'm going to be miserable, and most of the time I cry. But the phase ends as I just get more acclimated to the job and my new temporary life, and I start having fun. I've thoroughly enjoyed every job I've had so far, despite the phase where I cry my eyes out firmly believing it'll be awful
>>
>>18680006
I hate cities, I'm definately never living in one again after this
>>
>>18679953
awww hey i have been there and can say it does get better. it will be rough again if you go home for holidays and stuff... but it does get better. yeah being a child sounds great.... but there's so many more freedoms and dreams you can achieve now. make child you proud of current you
>>
>>18679953
Hang in there, you'll eventually get used it. In the meanwhile, just do something to distract yourself from theses thoughts, like a hobby or meditate.
>>
>>18679953

I'm 29, I'm in a similar situation and I'm shitting in my pants like you. It's not age, it's experience.
>>
>>18679953
You have an uphill battle with that career as a professor in acting. There are tones of out of work actors in this city and acting professors aren't an different. I should know I'm a filmmaker living in NYC and its hard for me let alone actors.

You have to face your fear of the inevitable or change your life and start a new in the greatest city in the world. Don't let pop culture, media or the "craft" confuse you.

You have a very difficult time ahead. Just accept it.
>>
Same thing happened when I went to Med School bro. Try calling your folks often and keeping in contact with your friends back home on a weekly basis. You'll just need some time.
>>
>>18682325
I don't know. Thinking of opening a children's theater in a small town too. I hate the city, I'm too country
>>
>>18682340
When does the fight or flight feeling stop?
>>
>>18680018
What kinds of jobs you do?
>>
>>18679953
Hey I'm in NYC too, want to hang out tomorrow? We could grab a few drinks, and maybe I could cheer you up a little. Message me on discord, I'm favelour#2461
>>
>>18683171
Inb4 I get raped. I dunno, I'm a mess of various anxiety disorders, don't know if you want to.
>>
>>18683192
Hey I'm only trying to help, it's easy to get overwhelmed in a new city, I had it happen to me when I tried moving to Honolulu. I wouldn't have offered if I was worried about your anxiety.
>>
Just take everything one step at a time. Your mind is probably overwhelmed at the possibility of failure and the tremendous amount of work ahead of you. Just try not to think too far ahead, keep your mind on the present and work towards your goals.

You've done more in 22 years than most, don't let your insecurities hold you back.
>>
>>18683569
I miss my family most of all. I want to take a bus home every weekend but I know it's gonna be rare that I'll find a free weekend.

I feel like an animal that wants to run. I have adrenaline pumping through me, fight or flight is kicked in and I feel like I'm gonna puke.
>>
>>18679953
Guys the fucking pain won't stop
>>
>>18680172
Why do you like living in the country?
>>
>>18684869
not him/her but the country is beautiful. Cities are only fun if you have a group of friends.

>>18679953
You're going to adapt. Humans are naturals at adaption.
Don't ever talk down on yourself. You're letting thoughts control yourself. Your thoughts are not you, despite what you may think.
Get friends at school. It'll make life easy.

I can personally guarantee that after you've lived far from home for a while you'll grow into a stronger and more mature person. This is a challenge you want, and in 3 years you'll be so happy you did it.
>>
>>18684869
I like the quiet, people don't scream at you for asking a dumb question, I like nature, I lived in a little college town. I didn't have to take an hour long train to commute to school or work.

>>18684898
I really hope you're right. It's day 3 and the mental pain is almost unbearable. I'm currently trying to force myself to eat but my fight or flight is going and I feel like I'm gonna puke.

Did you ever go through this? Am I alone in this?
>>
>>18684934
Most people who move into a completely new setting alone feel this. Some chose to move together as a group, which makes it easier. The downside is that when you bring your group with you there's less need for adaption. The consequence is that you don't change as much.

If you miss the country, maybe make regular trips to the park?

Do you know anyone here?
Do you have any friends here?
Do you know how to make friends?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.