[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I social science a legit career path? I don't care for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

I social science a legit career path? I don't care for the whole notion of following your dreams off a cliff, but can you find work and is it stable?
>>
>>18679104
what do you actually think you're gonna accomplish with this thread?
>>
>>18679104
Economics is the only social science of any worth. Everything else is shit lad
>>
>>18679104
There's work, whether or not you find it rewarding personally and financially is the question.

Keep in mind and what many people fail to remember is that your degree is just that, a degree. You can do lots of work unrelated to the degree if you have to.
>>
>>18679104
Of course it is. But be aware academia is a tough field to work in, without guaranteed jobs and you're often expected to move around to find work. Just depends what your life priorities are.
>>
>>18679128
>>18679116
Help deciding what career path I should follow ofc.I doubt I'll go for it but I should at least hear people out.

>>18679125
>There's work, whether or not you find it rewarding personally and financially is the question.

Well I think I might enjoy it, I do like helping people who need the help and so long as I make enough to support myself and a little bit extra I don't mind the money too much.

>Keep in mind and what many people fail to remember is that your degree is just that, a degree. You can do lots of work unrelated to the degree if you have to.
Eh, that piece of paper is the difference between graveyard shifts and work that won't kill you inside and out.
>>
>>18679156
Didn't mean to reply to >>18679128
But yeah I am prepared to do the work and I don't mind having to move some.

>>18679120
I generally agree with you but social science has a lot more practical value than most other social stuff, its helping families with problems and such. Not just writing articals on buzzfeed.
>>
>>18679156
>Eh, that piece of paper is the difference between graveyard shifts and work that won't kill you inside and out.

What I meant is that their are good jobs that just require a degree, not a specific one. I never implied you had to do warehouse work for example. I work in IT and there is plenty of people without relevant degrees who know their shit but had to have the degree just to get past HR.
>>
>>18679176
Oh I get what you mean, but if I get a degree I'd want it to be something useful in itself and not just because its a degree.
>>
>>18679173
I'm in a kind of related field and I see a lot of jobs for it. It's tough and there's a lot of competition, but if it's what you want and you're prepared to put in the work like you say, you should give it a shot. Just have a back up plan (like third sector or government work?) and accept that your first plan may not happen - but it definitely won't if you never try it.
>>
>>18679104
Sorry should of been more clear but by social science I meant the field of social working, so working with families and patients to help them with their problems.
>>
>>18679120
What can you do with an economics degree?
>>
>>18679104
That depends if you mean practical or theoretical. Civil Engineering is a lot of applied philosophy. I know what you meant, but for another example, high school counselors are in demand.
>>
>>18679496
Yap, practical. I wouldn't waste my time and money learning something unless I made sure I could stand to benifit in some way.
>>
>>18679104
Anon, what are you trying to do? You decide what you want to do and THEN do what you have to to get there. You don't just get a degree and then hope to find something to do with it after the fact,
>>
>>18679104
What area within Social Science?
I have done sociology studies, I am now doing social work
>>
>>18680497
Are you fucking joking me with that follow your dreams shit? Anon, just because you tried it doesnt mean ur achieving shit.
>>
>>18680543
Same as yourself, working with people basically.
>>18680543
I'm weighing the benifits and cons of this shit, jumping head first into something because of a vauge and inaccurate thought of what it would be like is absurd
>>
>>18679104
former sociology major.
Sociology is somewhat viable, you can work in social work, various government and law related jobs. That being said it's very much a research driven field, if you're serious plan on doing grad school and understand that a lot of what you do is going to be writing or education oriented.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.