[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for advice from people that are engaged/married/divorced.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: wedding.jpg (4KB, 242x208px) Image search: [Google]
wedding.jpg
4KB, 242x208px
I'm looking for advice from people that are engaged/married/divorced. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what to do.

I've been with my gf for three years and she's really pushing marriage. She's also moving to another city and it's come to a point where she doesn't want me to come unless I plan on marrying her.

I'm not a big fan of marriage in the sense I don't get excited at the thought of having a wedding(I just see it as wasted expense) and the idea of making a commitment like that is scary.

I'm afraid of how things will change. I'm also a little afraid of locking in to one women forever and not having sex with others(I'm worried this will haunt me when I get older I will have a lot of regret)

At the same time, it's very easy being/living with her and it does make sense - financially and otherwise - to be with her at this stage of my life. I'm leaning to just biting the bullet and getting married.

But I could really use some advise, especially from people who are or have been in similar positions. Thanks
>>
>>18675413
If you've lived with her by yourselves for at least a year you can make the call about marrying her otherwise dont.>>18675413
>>
>>18675413
Recommend the story of Stephen Colbert meeting his wife.
Will give the tldr if I have to, but go watch it.
Don't just give up control of your life because it's easier.
>>
To be honest OP marriage is a gamble. It might turn out fine or it might turn out awful. Some people marry really young and live their whole lives together. Some people marry after years of cohabitation and end up getting divorced.

I think it comes down to just how much bullshit you're willing to tolerate from your partner. You have to really love them and be comfortable with the idea of spending your life with them, even if they turn into a slob. Sometimes I feel like marriage is basically and endurance contest.

But you sound so un-excited by the entire prospect that, if I were you, I wouldn't do it. A lot of people get married because they think "well this is it, I'm not gonna find a better person and I'm not getting any younger", and that usually doesn't end well.
>>
>>18675474

This. If you are hesitant about marrying her, then just don't do it. Both people have to be ready for it. If you feel forced into it, you will just resent her later.
>>
>>18675471
My recommended video is basically >>18675478
>>18675474
Take it from me. Married for 3 years to a woman I've been with for 8 years. I think all the time about how much I regret doing it just because it made my life easier. We don't enjoy time together (usually) and I definitely don't get much from the relationship.
It's not like things are bad, but you regret it forever. Maybe eventually I cheat on her or something, who knows?
If you are asking these questions, you probably shouldn't be getting married.
>>
>>18675413
>I'm also a little afraid of locking in to one women forever and not having sex with others(I'm worried this will haunt me when I get older I will have a lot of regret)
If you're afraid of that, I don't think getting married will get you this idea out of your head, so I'd say avoid.
But I'm only a 20 yo rando so do what you want dude
>>
>>18675496
>We don't enjoy time together
Is it because you don't have enough time or you're both too lazy to actually do something? Was it always like that, or did it gradually change?
>>
>>18675413
>making a commitment like that is scary
If you don't want to commit then do not marry but have the balls to let her go.
>>
Dont let her force you into it.

Ask her why she wants to get married? See if she has good reasons.
>>
>>18675554
. 5 Lazy now /. 5 No common interests
>>
File: 1465886933501.jpg (466KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1465886933501.jpg
466KB, 1280x1920px
I got married when I was 18 OP. We've been married 8 years now. Do the math... it means that I was a Junior in high school when we first started dating.

There was a period about 2 years in (the "2 year slump" thing is true) where things got a little rocky. We were financially unstable and emotionally distant. He was feeling inferior when his friends would brag about all of their conquests, and I was feeling smothered. Being a few years younger than him, I still had the urge to break out on my own. However, instead of giving up, I reevaluated myself and identified my biggest flaws and started working on ways to make our relationship better.

I had gained 30lbs since the wedding (inb4 "of course you did"), so I lost it and got back down to my slimmer, normal size. I was spending all my free time playing vidya, so I started dedicating more of that time to cleaning and doing chores. I had been acting so entitled in all aspects of our life, so I started doing more for him instead of being bitter over what he wasn't doing for me. I had been coasting through a shitty part-time job, so I took the initiative to find a full-time job (which eventually led to my well-paying current position) to bring more to the table financially. This attitude change inspired a change in my husband as well, and now we truly are partners, looking out for each other.

It helps that we have the same interests, world views, and sense of humor. I can't imagine being with anyone else. When I get hit on in public, I can't help but feel sorry for those guys because they seem so inadequate compared to mai husbando.

OP, we got married when we were stupidly young, and we had some rough patches, but now we are so, so happy. If you feel like you have a deep, unique connection with your girl, it might be worth sacrificing the random strange to keep her. If you two are simply co-existing, do not get married.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.