[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going through University right now on a Neuroscience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: me.gif (426KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
me.gif
426KB, 500x255px
I'm going through University right now on a Neuroscience course but over my first year of doing the degree I accidentally picked up programming as a hobby now I really wanna do Computer Science. I don’t know If I should really switch cause I've always been pretty good at biology but my grades last year dropped a lil more than I was comfortable with and now I'm questioning if I'll even get the degree.

I also don't wanna abandon all The friends I made on my course this year and don't know how to tell my parents that I wasted my entire first year of university.

Is computer Science a good degree, or should I do Software Engineering or should I not even bother switching to a new field which I might do terribly in. I'm scared I'm gonna spend 4 years in University just to realise I've wasted it all
>>
I switch to computer science last year on my 4th/last year of geology. lost some of my friends but hoping to get new ones. lots of people change their major after first year so you are not alone. Its better to do it now than be like me.
trust me life is not a race to the finish. you need to go on your own pace
>>
>>18674800
Computer Science is becoming a tool in a lot of fields. Use your hobby as a free leg up, if you are neuro then you can intergrate CS into your field of study. AI, brain simulations and whatnot is up and coming if not already here
>>
File: 1492872655475.jpg (2MB, 1920x3272px) Image search: [Google]
1492872655475.jpg
2MB, 1920x3272px
>>18674899
>if you are neuro then you can intergrate CS into your field of study.

I was looking into that, My university does have a computational biology research department but they do not teach it. It's either Neuroscience or CS. I should mention I'm Scottish so I'm not sure what Jobs for CS are like.

>>18674891
Life isn't a race but at the same time I've already dedicated a years worth of studying and my parents might disapprove of this sudden change.
>>
What exactly did you want to do with your Neuroscience degree?

CS opens up a lot more jobs.

Also, as to your question about S.Eng or CS, I have a friend who is a hiring manager for a small-medium sized software company in Canada, who has a bachelors in Computer Engineering (Software + Hardware) and I brought this up, and he said that employers generally don't care which you get if it's for a programming job. All they care about is internship/work experience and the portfolio. CS doesn't have to deal with the physics and math of S. Eng so you may get a better mark too.

It may be different in the states or wherever you are though.
>>
>>18674923
>What exactly did you want to do with your Neuroscience degree?
I was hoping to go into research considering that It's a subject that's really beginning to take of nowadays, mainly just because biology was my best subject so I felt like researching an area in biology that didn't already have everything discovered already.

>CS doesn't have to deal with the physics and math
I was actually really good a math and enjoyed it a lot but physics wasn't so good so I might stick with CS.
Also what's employers opinions on self-taught programmers?
>>
>>18674899
This.

Neurology plus science = on the right side of history when robos take over.

Jokes aside, why not minor in computer science and do just that, work on AI or even brain modification?

It makes sense youd love computer programming and neuro anyway because the brain is basically a fleshy ol binary computer.
>>
>>18674934
>minor in computer science
Can I do this in Britain?
>>
>>18674937
Contact your university for that, but if you can do it, it would be really good for you, the field is promising.
If you were in France like me, you could finish your License in Neurosciences then do a Master in Cognitive science or something like that (almost did that) but I'm not so sure about the Scottish options.

Btw OP, it's totally okay to take a year or two to really find out what you want, your parents might be disappointed (even if I'm not really sure why, you didn't drop out or something) but in the long run, you being successful in a field you like will make them happier.
>>
>>18674929
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/talking-back/where-will-all-the-new-neuroscientists-go/

I'm not really sure about self taught, and I don't want to misguide you.

If you want to stick with Neuro, I would get a minor or something, or stick with Neuro and self teach, just don't drop out of Uni.

AI is a growing field. I think you'd do fine with a minor in CS and if you self taught. You need a portfolio and experience though.
>>
File: deepinthought.png (392KB, 451x619px) Image search: [Google]
deepinthought.png
392KB, 451x619px
>>18674996
>>18674948
I have a few problems in that I don't know If I actually want to do neuroscience at all as my future job, I can't decide if I prefer a cushy programming job where I just sit in an office and program for many hours or work in a lab. My other problem Is I mentioned my grades where dropping because trying to juggle programming and Biology is more difficult than I thought. Last of all I'm worried that whichever career path I choose I will regret for the rest of my life.

>You need a portfolio and experience though.
This is another problem I'm not sure how to get by. I suppose I could start uploading to github
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.