[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a bad idea to minor in Philosophy? I feel like adding that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 16qmvn.jpg (31KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
16qmvn.jpg
31KB, 624x480px
Is it a bad idea to minor in Philosophy? I feel like adding that to a resume actually somehow makes it worse, but I enjoy the courses.
>>
I love philosophy, but I can think of very real practical applications for a job.

I could see it being beneficial alongside history, writing, or something teaching related.

If you're in STEM it could provide something interesting and diverse on a resume.

I think if you can afford it and like it, it won't ever be harmful, but if you could choose a more useful minor it would probably be more valuable.
>>
Philosophy majors usually have some of the highest averages things like the LSAT, GMAT, MCAT, etc...
>>
File: 1500429550416.jpg (199KB, 1280x784px) Image search: [Google]
1500429550416.jpg
199KB, 1280x784px
>>18674216
Minor? Good. Major? Only if you are a prodigy at an Ivy League school.
>>
>>18674222

can't think of*

oops
>>
>>18674222
>>18674237
That's because it doesn't have any practical applications for a job. And that's okay, because there are a lot of employers out there who value the research, writing, analysis and reasoning skills that people with a major like philosophy have.
>>
Philosophy essentially teaches you how to structure a sound argument. If you can communicate it well in interviews, then it's only a resume booster

My good friend double majored economics/philosophy and now he doesn't say anything he can't properly defend with sound logic. It makes me trust him more because I've been intellectually eviscerated so many times spewing out platitudes and bs and he's there to cleverly tell me why I'm an ass... definitely wish I took more philosophy courses
>>
>>18674216
I work in HR for a major company.

A philosophy minor can't hurt you and just might make you look interesting.

A BIG secret about hiring that they don't tell you in college is that we hire the person, not the transcript. Just about everyone who applies has the basic knowledge requirements for a job, so we look past that to who they are and whether we could bear working alongside them every day. Something that makes you look a little more like a deeper or rounded or just interesting person might be the decider.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.