[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been asked to play DnD tonight with some friends. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1-dnd-logo.png (158KB, 600x171px) Image search: [Google]
1-dnd-logo.png
158KB, 600x171px
I've been asked to play DnD tonight with some friends. I'm not the most social person so I'm pretty nervous anyway, and I also have never played DnD. Anyone got any tips?
>>
>>18668678
just focus on the technicalities of the game like doing damage and your abilities. make your background something along the lines of a loner or quiet person.

It's really all on how the DM runs the game, find one that understands or isn't heavy on actual role play.

Is this online or IRL?

As far as not knowing how to play, just memorize your rolls so you don't have to ask every time. Read the players handbook for gameplay and don't hesitate to ask.
>>
>>18668679
I don't think the DM is /too/ roleplay heavy. He's made a world and a couple props and stuff. I think it's mostly about the story and everyone getting together and shit. It's IRL
>>
>>18668678
Do you have the books? Have you read the books?
>>
Read the free ruleset on the wizard of the coast site, it's less complete than the real book, but at least you'll get a grasp of the rules.

Also, if you can't socialize over D&D, you should go to a shrink, although I love it I also recognize it's a perfectly match for shut ins (not exclusively but stil)
>>
Good DMs are rare. You can tell a good one from a bad one if they can incorporate a lot of cool things to account for unexpected decisions.

Bad DMs will turn it into a stupid smutty fanfic or romantic novel. If you see the DM begin a love interest between a character and yours, leave.
>>
>>18668678
Experienced GM here. Just talk to the GM ahead of time and let them know whats up and they SHOULD help you through it all. If they don't, leave. It would not be worth your time.

That being said, remember that the game is built of three pillars:

Exploration
Social Interaction
Combat

You don't need to hard core focus on all three. But try to pick at least two.

I hope you enjoy it OP, it is a lot of fun if you give it a go :)
>>
>>18668679
>focus on the technicalities
Terrible advice, focus on good RP and the DM will usually go along with it.
>>
>>18668678
Go the evil route, attempted to become a lich.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 251x201px
relax, take a breath, and have fun. if they are your friends you have nothing to worry about and they will walk you through the steps. I preferred to be a chaotic good cleric. I could still fight, heal, and get what is coming to me. ;)
>>
>>18668678
I remember playing D&d in middle school centuries ago. Some of my fondest lunchtime memories.

Just create a character based on you. Perhaps, a quite, socially awkward thief whom picks locks in order to steal underwear.
>>
>>18668885
There are problems with focusing RP when you don't know the group though
>they could be a normalfag group doing for lulz
>you'll probably fuck it up because you have no idea whats expected of you
>you spill your spaghetti everywhere and end up trying to get your character's mom to fuck a horse

its decent advice to play the "quiet" character until you learn more about the game and how to interact with people.
I tried getting really into RPing my first time playing and ended up making the game shit for everyone.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.