[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello Guys, I have decided that during next 5 years I will start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Hello Guys,
I have decided that during next 5 years I will start building a wooden cabin built all by myself using only basic tools. However, I do not have any experience that relates to woodworking. Does building a basic log cabin requires a lot of woodworking skills? Is it expensive? Or is it mostly about your determination?
>>
>>18665858
Carpenter here:

Take a course. Theres a lot of advanced math and physics and engineering knowledge youll need, not to mention tricks and gimmicks to make things come together nicely.

For example making a square sounds easy until you do it. Theres a bunch of stuff that could go wrong youd never predict. Also you would need to learn to apply Pythagorean theory to make your cabin square in the first place.

Youll need trigonometry, youll need practice with the tools, proper use training, so on and so on.

Can you do it? Absolutely. Is it a great idea to be trained and educated before blowing tens of thousands on lumber, fucking it all up then having to buy more? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Im a third year and good at my job. One weekend i decided to build my gf a kitchen island. It was more trouble than i bargained for and i ran into so many problems. It came out great in the end, but even with my applicable skills from work, i still would have benefited from being shown how to do that exact kind of work.

Ill bet you that scales up exponentially from a fucking table to a goddamn log cabin.
>>
>>18665866
But how much does this carpentry course cost? and how long does it last? Could I do it aside to my normal work? I am really into nature and to living according to its laws. I am educated as a biological scientist, and I wanted to use this knowledge to earn necessary money to buy a piece of land and materials and tool necessary during building a cabin. I know it might sound naive, but I was thinking about learning from youtube videos like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKL6F5zw2o8&list=FLNf-Z39YvGT-rPDZusb5oSw&index=2
>>
>>18665866
>>18665866
or maybe to use already pre-existing guides like this one https://www.logcabinhub.com/how-to-build-a-log-cabin/... I don't want to sound rude, but I don't want to waste another few years of studying to do something. I want it to be a more like an adventure... But not only to fail, I am not stupid, but with all due of respect, I will never get into carpentry to the same level as you do, I want to treat it more as a hobby, or passion.
>>
>>18665878
Youtube videos are a great help. You can learn a lot. That doesnt translate to actually doing it. If youre so inclined start practicing wood working and maybe build a tool shed.

>cost of course

Less than fucking up a log and having to buy another one. Lumbers expensive af bro
>>
>>18665959
Yeah I know that wood as a material is expensive, what about those training courses? What is their price? how long do they take?
>>
>>18666019
They vary to an extreme.

Im in ontario canada. Tuition for a course is about 500 and its 2 months per level, there are 3 in school levels to become a journeyman, and thats the ministry approved training. So its not terrible.

They will let you in if you have the money without a doubt. But if you were looking to try a new job, the union and government would likely help you out a lot.

Theres a shortage and the baby boomers are retiring so if you wanted to put your career on hold and try swingin with the boys for a bit, youll be well paid and well educated.

But you sound pretty happy with where youre at so i understand if you dont.
>>
>>18666032
No, you are right, I would like to try that, especially since the whole course takes 6 months. I enjoyed biological science, however, I am not 100% sure if this is what I want to do in life, I might give it a go at some point.
>>
>>18666079
Yeah and the course can be broken up. Theres a work component and a school component.

The way they usually go is you join the union and go to work. To advance in the wage scale you must complete the first level. Then each year complete the next school level in order to advance. Its on your own time, i worked two years before setting foot in school honestly.

So its not like you would even have to do it up front if you wanted to try your hand at the career.
>>
>>18665866

/thread
>>
>>18665858
watch and read about Dick Proenneke
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.