[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/, I don't really have anyone to talk to right now,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

/adv/, I don't really have anyone to talk to right now, so please, any advice will be welcome. I mean it.

My father has terminal brain cancer and right now he is close to death in his room. My family and I chose not to hospitalize him, since he said, through his whole life, that he never wanted to be hospitalized, and we promised him that we wouldn't let that happen again after his surgery (the tumor came back anyways, shortly after...)

He can't eat or go to the toilet by himself. It kills me to see him this way. He's not able to speak anymore and sleeps around 20h a day. I checked on him a while ago (I'm a med student close to graduating) and his vitals are getting bad. He's probably won't make it to another 24h.

Should I take him to the hospital, so that they can stabilize him? I feel that I'm killing him if I don't, but what kind of life will he keep living if it earns him another month or two?

I'm really lost. Any help will be appreciated.
>>
If you believe that he won't make it another 24h. I say to just ride it out. Save yourself the insane hospital bills they'll charge you just for getting him a room for a few hours, and some pain medicine to make him comfortable. Let him rest at home, I say. If you have pain meds to make him comfortable, that works too.
>>
It's a difficult moral choice. To go against his wishes, or to do what you can to give him the most time.

The thing is Anon, he's already made up his mind. Even if you could buy him more time, it won't make a difference, it's just delaying the inevitable. There's no telling how the stress would affect him, either.

This isn't your fault, and ultimately, your actions don't matter. It's beyond anyone's control. Your father is dying, he knows this. Spend what time you have left beside him, while he's with his family in his home. That's the most comfort he'll be able to have.

Be strong, Anon.
>>
>>18664338
This, hit up some med school connects and get Pops some opioids
>>
It (might) buy him more time, but almost assuredly will not raise his quality of life beyond a smidgen if he truly has terminal brain cancer and is slow close to death. If he wants to die, he should be allowed to, and he is probably really, really suffering. Living in that type of state isn't a life.

Spend time with him until he dies. Bring him pain medication if he wants it and you can and make sure you both know how much you love each other. Even if he can't speak, just be there and hold his hand, or whatever you think is right.

I've lost my dad too, also to a slow disease. It's hard and it's shit and it changes you as a person. I'm sorry.

Good luck. The one nice thing about going through this is that you know that things can't get much worse after.
>>
If you believe he won't last another day, going to hospital against his wishes would not help.

It's hard, but there's nothing to be done here and nobody's fault, it's just his time is coming.

Spend your last seconds with him together, and definitely try to make it as painless as possible, maybe hit up some painkillers on him, so he'd experience less pain and could go away peacefully on his sleep
>>
Good luck, anon.
>>
Don't take him to the hospital. I understand that you think you're killing him by not doing so, but judging by your description of his current state, he would not live much longer anyway. You'd just be prolonging the inevitable. Like the others said, try to accept it and just spend time with him before he goes.

Good luck and stay strong, anon.
>>
>>18664326
Just accept the fact that he's dying and hope that you get something
>>
File: a9ARRmZ_700b.jpg (87KB, 700x1021px) Image search: [Google]
a9ARRmZ_700b.jpg
87KB, 700x1021px
Hello, /adv/, I'm OP.

Thanks for your advice, I truly mean it. I got some morphine and gave him some endovenous liquid (don't know how to say it in english) and I can safely assure that he's painless.
Still alive, but from his vitals and urine color, swolen feet and this sleepiness that won't go away, I'm sure he won't last long. Maybe over 24h, but certainly not a week.

You guys are right, there is no reason to hospitalize him. It may keep him alive for maybe a month or two, but for what? IF he does get out, he'll have a few more days left of a dependant, miserable life.
He was a teacher before cancer, and now he can't even read. That's not dignity...
His sisters are pressuring me and my mom to hospitalize him, but we are not going to yield.

Thanks, /adv/.
>>
>>18664326
Hospice people, experts in making end-of-life as smooth and painless for both the patient and the family, should be willing to come to you rather than making you go to them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.