[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading is so unfulfilling. I feel like I need to read shitloads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1501527804534.jpg (217KB, 960x925px) Image search: [Google]
1501527804534.jpg
217KB, 960x925px
Reading is so unfulfilling. I feel like I need to read shitloads of boring as fuck books or else I'm a pleb or pseudointellectuals will call me a pleb. I decided to read five extremely important books and then tell myself to forget this feeling forever. The books are the republic (read and liked), brothers Karamazov (read and disliked), war and peace (at about p60 and it's good), great expectations (40 % through and it's shit), and a tale of two cities (will probably be shit).

I hate this fucking feeling. I see fiction as entertainment, not some stupid fountain of "insights".

I should be spending my time doing practical stuff or learning stem stuff, not reading myself stupid. Everything feels like work.

To summarise, I simply don't have the balls to follow my own intuitions and tastes, even though I genuinely believe in them. And even after the five books it won't end. Dickens is boring shit but he has tonnes of boring books you'll be called a pleb for not reading. The Idiot is on my shelf and I will give it a fair shot but not have the balls to give up if it becomes boring.
>>
>>18664281
People only like those books because they offer "insights", I only care about Edward Muzika's.
>>
>>18664281
Yeah, this isn't just you anon. If you've got serious intentions to be cultured, then reading is probably an important thing to do. The other day a friend of mine recommended that everyone read the Bible, Christian or not, because there are so many artistic/literary references to it that if you don't know much about it's contents, you'll be missing out on a lot of references. So, even though this is unsolicited, you might want to pick up the Bible and read from front to back (or at least the more interesting parts. I'm sure there's a guide somewhere) is probably a good piece of literature to start with if you want to be cultured. Other holy texts too I guess, but idk anything about them.

That said, I think it'd be pretty reasonable to say that you don't really have to give a shit about being cultured. In many facets of life, that's how I feel. I don't want to fly to South America and get high on DMT. I don't want to be eaten alive by mosquitos (or alligators) on a turbine-powered boat in the bayou. I don't want to climb Mount Everest. I don't want to eat monkey brains or dog meat. I'll be missing out on all of these things, but that's okay, because I don't give (enough of) a shit about any of them and plenty of other things. Nobody's got enough time to soak all of those experiences in, so you've got to pick and choose. If you feel like reading classical literature isn't worth your time, then don't. There are other ways to pick up the skills/merits that people say come from reading those sorts of books.

Cont
>>
>>18664346
If you read technical manuals, textbooks, or other 'non-fiction,' you'll walk away with meaningful skills while still improving your vocabulary and reading comprehension, which I take to be two of the biggest reasons that people want to promote reading in the first place. I think that fiction is more commonly recommended than non-fiction because it seems like it could appeal to more people, making reading less of a chore, but I pulled that out of my ass. I don't know.

I doubt that you'll find enlightenment in a fictional book (or a non-fictional book for that matter). I picked up Dostoyevsky from my library about a month ago for the exact same reasons. I still haven't finished the little anthology of short stories, but what I've read is good. It hasn't changed my life, and I bet that when (if) I finish it, it still won't. It's just another means of reflecting on your own experiences. You can reflect in ways besides reading, so if you feel like you'd rather educate yourself in other ways, then I'd encourage you to do so. Anybody who thinks they're 1337 for reading old books is probably a cunt looking for attention. Reading old books is fine, but having to brag about it or put other people down for not doing so is absolutely cringy, in my humble opinion. Reflection is something that you've got to do for yourself. Reading the reflections of others can obviously be helpful, but supplanting your own efforts with other people's words is doing yourself a grave disservice.

I see the irony, and I'm sorry to be such a cunt. I've just dealt with a lot of pseudointellectuals like the ones you described, and I really resent that shit. I think it's toxic to confidently and un-ironically propose that "everybody needs to watch Game of Thrones" or "spend a year in a foreign country." Don't be a sheep. When somebody else's prescription for satisfaction/peace/etc fails you, look elsewhere or come to your own conclusions.
>>
Start reading Buddhist literature for insights
>>
>>18664396
Advaita > Buddhism
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.