[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am 22. How do I become a reader? My mind always wanders after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I am 22. How do I become a reader? My mind always wanders after half a page.

I loved books as a kid but I got lazy during my teen years
>>
Same story here. It's frustrating as fuck knowing you're reading so much slower than you used to be able to. Maybe meditating before reading would help?
>>
Just got into reading and I'm a bit younger than you. The most important thing is to find material that genuinely interests you. There's just no point in participating in anything if it doesn't interest you. You should also read only when you're free to do so. Make sure that when you read, you read, don't waste time thinking about other things. Although, the last one might be trivial if you actually find something that grabs your attention
>>
>>18663020
Find something interesting. Classics are classics for a reason.

I was like you and the two books that got me into reading again were Animal Farm and Slaughterhouse V. Animal Farm is a short, interesting easy read.

Also finding short stories really got me going. "Where are you going, Where have you been?" Is one of my favorite ambiguous mindfucks
>>
>>18663020
Start with easy books. Did you read Tom Sawyer or Alice In Wonderland as a kid? I'll bet you didn't. You read a watered-down kiddy version. It might surprise you how much more subtle and adult they are. Some critics seriously consider Huckleberry Finn to be THE Great American Novel. Go back and see.

Or read the books your favorite films were made from - not the after-the-fact novelizations, but the originals.
>>
Literally read something you want to read.

If you don't like it (after giving it a fair shot you sperg) then just fucking drop it.

Wow.
>>
>>18663020

Practice. It's just like any other thing, the more you do it, the easier it gets. If you're accustomed to reading online where articles/text pieces are relatively short, your attention span and reading focus are used to easy and quick reading. Also, try reading somewhere away from distractions. Go to local library or outdoors somewhere where the distractions are naturally limited and try reading there. Start by reading an hour, then two, and so on. Increase the time you read and the difficulty of the texts over a period of time and the progress should feel easier. If you go from 0 reading to trying to finish a novel in one sitting, it will feel challenging, no matter how hard yo try.
>>
you have to read things interesting, then youll get bored of only doing that, and youll be motivated to put up with things outside your known preference for the sake of curiosity. thats how one really develops an individual perspective on literature, i believe. going with the herd and looking up best books for millennials - dont do that.
>>
i was one of those kids who would read hours on end and finish books in one sitting.
as i got older, my priorities shifted and i was no longer able to read fiction. i simply couldn't keep myself occupied with something just for shits and giggles for so long. with work, household and kids, my time became precious enough to not waste it on useless stuff like reading made up stories. same reason i never watch tv anymore.
i still read a lot, however. it's just non fiction now and always on topics that are immediately relevant to my momentary interest.
maybe you're similary. give non fiction a try.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.