[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My bf is considering stopping taking an SSRI. He's taken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: pill.png (50KB, 280x195px) Image search: [Google]
pill.png
50KB, 280x195px
My bf is considering stopping taking an SSRI. He's taken it for the entire time I've known him. What sort of changes should I expect as he goes off it?
>>
If he's tapering off of the med with the guidance of a pyscharist or primary care doctor, he should be alright. If he's doing this as his own discsison, it can be a rough ride. The good news is that he'll lose the terrible side effects. Your boyfriend may lose weight if he had gained some by going on it and/or function better sexually. Stuff like that. If he comes off as depressed at times, you may not want to jump to the med change situation because it's basically impossible to come off an antidepressant and feel just as good or better after coming off it. That can be disengenuis to some. Making a huge shift in your (or anyone else for that matter) behavior will probably throw him off and there's a chance he'll get depressed. Hope this helps.
>>
Something I can actually help with

I knew a girl, met her when she was on SSRIs, spoke with her for several months after she stopped.

She really grew as a person and became ever more independent. Sometimes things got funky, but as time went on she ended up rediscovering herself and while it took a long time, she eventually started feeling herself again.

They will change as a person, but not necessarily in a bad way. And you'll end up changing with then.

I don't remember much, mostly just being impressed by how they weren't really the person I thought they were.

I don't really remember too much unfortunately.
>>
>>18661365
>rediscovering herself
>feeling herself

What does stuff like this even mean.
>>
>>18661375
Have you ever really felt disassociate? Like that, i guess. She began returning to the lively person she used to be before SSRIs, same habits, same kinda emotion and spirit.

Within reason, I mean.
>>
>>18661316
well first you should be concerned for his health before your own convenience, just for sake of the relationship, not for any moral reasons.

second, as a layman on /adv/, I would say SSRI's aren't super critical. sometimes people aren't even sure if there is any kind of effect whether they are on or off.

sometimes professionals will call them placebos offhand, because placebo effect and false self-reporting could both be very big reasons why SSRI's are first-line.

I think it has a more noticeable effect on libido or "sexual stamina" than mood. His levels of arousal might raise, including his desire for sex and a reduction of the time it takes for him to climax.

some people are serotonin deficient by nature and I suppose they could really use the stuff. I heard in a lecture that 1/3 people complaining of severe depression have this natural deficiency.
>>
Sorry for my slow response, been kinda busy.

>>18661356
He's planning on telling his doctor that he'd like to go off the meds, so he's not just cutting himself off without guidance. He was originally on the SSRI for anxiety, and says that his life now is kinda where he wants it.

Regarding side effects, he's already in reasonable shape, and goes to the gym regularly. He's also got a high sex drive, so if that increases, I'm not sure I can provide much help on that front. He's already pretty much at my limit.

>>18661393
We're obviously concerned for his health. I'm just hoping to know what to expect, so there aren't any surprises, and I can see red flags if there are any.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.