[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it take to survive the nomadic lifestyle? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (176KB, 1080x983px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
176KB, 1080x983px
What does it take to survive the nomadic lifestyle? I'm going to be out of debt in about 8 months and I'm thinking about what I might want to do with my life for the next few years and I think it would be exciting to travel the country on pic related. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm not very outgoing. It could be hard for me if I find myself in need of help/work. Could that make it potentially dangerous?
>>
nope you can't
that only happens in movies and with people who was brought up rich with successful family business ran by their dad, brother, mother,etc
>>
>>18660298
Why would you have to be rich to live for almost no money at all?
>>
What exactly are you planning on doing?
It's a bike, so you'd need camping gear if you planned on not sleeping in hotels, or finding places to stay. With that, you're going to need pots, pans, ways of purifying water, you'll want tools, clothes, food, and water to carry on you as you travel...

A bike is just a poor way to go. By the time you load it up with all that crap, the things going to be scrapping the ground, and have terrible fuel economy.
>>
>>18660534
>What exactly are you planning on doing?
Riding, seeing every possible landmark I want to see, sleeping in a tent, working odd jobs for 1-2 weeks at a time for money for food.
>camping gear
I planned on getting a backpack with a 3l hydration pack, one of those filtration straws in case of emergency, tent (which can be kept under the seat) w/ pillow and sleeping bag rated for sub-zero temperatures just in case, a blanket so that I could undo the sleeping bag for hot nights, 2-3 changes of clothes, windbreaker, phone, battery bank (can charge at gas stations, diners, truck stops. Full charge should last me a few weeks) a knife, a spade, matches/tools for starting a fire, and most importantly $1k-1.5k cash for food/supplies.
All this + me on the bike should weigh no more than like 250 lbs, which might lower the top speed to like 40-45 mph but fuel economy would still be just fine. Probably no less than 85 mpg.

>A bike is a poor way to go
I disagree. This thing has been known to get 110 mpg or more, and reliable to the ends of the earth. Also, it's 49cc, so you don't need insurance. Actually, technically you don't even need a license. So, I've got shelter and transportation covered for like $4.50 a month in gas. Also, a huge plus is that I don't need roads because this thing is actually pretty capable offroad. I watched a youtube video of this guy screaming down some trails at like 45 mph.

So, honestly, the only thing I don't have figured out is food (other than eating cheap at diners/restaurants) and a travel plan. But I'm still in the very beginning of the planning stage.
>>
>>18660640
Actually one thing I could do for food is buy bulk protein bars from Costco or something, those things curb my hunger for about 2 hrs, and I could eat them in between finding meals.
>>
>>18660640
You're talking about traveling the country on basically a moped. Carrying a full load, you're going to end up doing 40 mph tops in good conditions. The second you have to travel up a hill, you're going to be crawling. And forget being able to use highways. You really think you're going to get across the country on residential roads?

And you really think you're going to go a month on $4.50 in gas? That's like a single gallon of gas in some places. I know the mpg is great, but even if you got two hundred miles a gallon, you'll still burn through a gallon of gas in a full day of riding.

I'm not saying doing what you're doing is a terrible idea, but try and be a little more realistic.
>>
>>18660747
Ok, $10-15 a month. I'm not just going to be riding nonstop. It's not a race. I'll just be riding from camping spot to camping spot.
>Carrying a full load, uphill you're going to be crawling.
Maybe, maybe not. I see a guy commuting around on one of these sometimes, he can go like 25-30 uphill and he's not a small guy, he probably weighs 260-275 and I don't even know for sure if he's going full throttle.
>You really think you're going to get across the country on residential roads?
No, roads, trails, old highways. Like I said I'm not in a hurry so I don't need to use I-5 or anything like that.

tl;dr, I'll have to be somewhat strategic about which roads I choose, but it's not impossible.
>>
>>18660252
Get a vehicle large enough to accommodate a sleeping person. Then you can just park in a safe suburban area and sleep for the night, this is something that is hard do with a bike. And travelling long period using a bike is more expensive; you might thought that you'll be saving money on fuel but you'll spending more money on other expenses.

Learn a practical trade skill, like cooking or carpentry. That way you could just get a quick job on craigslist if you're running low on cash.

Baseball bat. Trust me it'll come in handy in the most crucial time..
>>
>>18660252
OP please don't listen to this faggot>>18660298. I know tons of people who've done this and I've done it myself.

My suggestion would be to do it in the southwestern United States, preferably around the four corners region where there are massive communities of people who do this and work in the outdoor guiding and education fields. Lots of college educated people who you can meet and work with, all quite young. Hang around Prescott AZ, Taos, and a few other towns near Durango CO if you want to get more into the van/motorcycle/car living community. There are tons of online forums and /out/ has lots of threads on vehicle living to help you research and get started.

I suggest getting some basic first aid training like a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) certification. This will both serve you and help you accces a lot of work opportunities.
Tell me, do you have any risk-management or outdoor experience to go off of? If I can get a better picture of your skill sets I can be of more help to you.

Vehicle living in the outdoors is the best thing ever and you will meet tons of cool people. Go for it!
>>
>>18661971
My ideal choice would be a VW Bus, but those are $25k+ in decent condition.. and the Westfalia vans from the 80s are unreliable I guess but even still, they're pretty expensive too. RVs suck. Actually a Toyota Dolphin would be fucking cool too.
>you'll spending more money on other expenses.
As in maintenance?
>Learn a practical trade skill, like cooking
I'm a cook professionally. That's part of the reason this would be such a good idea. I could work in the summer and save enough for the rest of the year.
>Baseball bat. Trust me it'll come in handy in the most crucial time..
I've got a Louisville slugger. Also, I don't really like guns, unless it were a rifle used only for hunting. Which I have thought of picking up too.

P.S. sorry for the rambling and shit I'm actually high as f
>>
>>18662037
>Vehicle living in the outdoors is the best thing ever and you will meet tons of cool people. Go for it!
Actually, I'm interested in this mostly for the adventurous aspect and I'm honestly not interested in the idea of meeting a lot of new people. I will check out /out/ though.
>I suggest getting some basic first aid training like a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) certification. This will both serve you and help you accces a lot of work opportunities.
Is WFR just a safety certification? What is it all about?
>Tell me, do you have any risk-management or outdoor experience to go off of?
No, none at all.
>>
The weakest link in your plan seem to be the getting money doing odd jobs. Try that one out where you're at without using friends/family/contacts etc.
>>
>>18662074
Someone doesn't get out enough. Stop being a bucket crab. Just because you're incapable of doing it doesn't mean OP is.

You can budget yourself OP, also trying take advantage of sites like Coughsurf and craigslist. This kind of travel will work you out of your shell, and you'll get used to talking to people as a necessity. Never turn down any generosity.
>>
>>18662084
No, he's right. It's not easy to just pick up odd jobs without prior reference/contact. It's certainly not impossible, but it's not reliable, and you don't want to end up in a position where you NEED to work because you're going to starve otherwise.
>>
>>18662074
Dude you have no idea how easy it is to get a job in the summer literally anywhere as an experienced cook.
>>18662084
>trying take advantage of sites like Coughsurf and craigslist. This kind of travel will work you out of your shell, and you'll get used to talking to people as a necessity. Never turn down any generosity.
While this would solve one problem I have: showering/bathing, I don't think I'll do it. Not to make the thread about *this* but I don't connect with anybody. On any level. Not even family. So, I've really given up on ever trying to be that person. But if it works, it works and you could be right. I'm just not facing that problem head-on like that.
>>
>>18662102
Lol. Worst comes to worst, people'll just give you food. You're not going to starve on the streets of America or Western Europe. And even then, if you're not home, you can just take food when you really need it. No one's going to give a fuck about stolen fruit.

Don't give advice if you've never gone on an extended trip before. You're completely out of touch!
>>
>>18662109
Talking to strangers is different than talking to people you know. I know it feels like there might be some barrier, but talking to strangers is way easier and way different.

Shower, dude. You can shower at gyms if you just ask, and if you stay near the cost there's usually some showers there to use. But not showering is just a bad idea over all. Think of your health.
>>
>>18662102
See
>>18662109
Also,
>you don't want to end up in a position where you NEED to work because you're going to starve otherwise.
That's why I'm going to set off with at least $2k. I'll get a job when I get down to $500 or so. Maybe just work 4 months out of the year. With no expenses I'll pocket like $6 over the summer and I'll be saving money. Fuck this idea looks better and better the more you guys try and fight me on it.
>>
>>18662047
>RVs suck.
Yeah that thing actually makes it harder to stealth park and to pretend that no one is inside.

>As in maintenance?
A bike anything less than 200cc will prone to break after 500 miles of carrying all your shit. You'll also spend more on foods because you can't horde walmart's canned stuff and really dependant on local shops availability.

>Also, I don't really like guns, unless it were a rifle used only for hunting.
A gun is probably overkill but anything is good as long as you can protect yourself. After a month living outside, the smell on you and your rig will attracts wild dogs and snakes.
>>
>>18662073
WFR very teaches you an incredibly diverse range of emergency medical skills, everything from setting bones, controlling hypo/hyperthermia, to CPR, and pretty much everything you need to know that will get someone in a crisis outside of civilization safely to definitive care. It's a required credential if you ever want to be a guide or work in any outdoor field.
Your options for getting the certification are to either go through NOLS's program WMI (wilderness medical institute) or through SOLO Schools. They are both based around the country and run week-long training sessions and cost about $800-$900. The very expires every here years and some programs offer discounted re-certification courses if you get your re-training done within the 3 year period.
If you really wanted something even better, you could always drop $4k and get your WEMT certification. Usually outdoor professionals have their bosses pay for that though.

I also recommend you start learning basic vehicle maintenance and repair practices, put together your own vehicle kit, and develop map-reading skills. Lots of outdoor rec companies offer internships that will help you develop these skills.
>>
>>18662129
>Talking to strangers is different than talking to people you know. I know it feels like there might be some barrier, but talking to strangers is way easier and way different.
This is part of the reason I think it might be helpful for me. I like the idea of meeting new people on the road and sharing experiences with them, I just don't think it'll cure my long term issues of not being able to form relationships.
But I'm sure as fuck not going into someone's home and staying the night. Or trying to hang out with college kids or any groups of people in general.
>Shower, dude. You can shower at gyms if you just ask, and if you stay near the cost there's usually some showers there to use. But not showering is just a bad idea over all. Think of your health.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't going to shower. That's why I said it was a problem: I need to shower.
I knew about the gym thing and I was going to bring that up but I got distracted while I was typing. The only issue with that is there could be very long roads between gyms. And forget about bathing in a creek or lake 6 months out of the year. So winters are looking pretty sparce for showers.
>>
>>18662150
I guess I don't really understand the point of getting the certification is? Doesn't really fall in line with what I'm trying to do.
>I also recommend you start learning basic vehicle maintenance and repair practices, put together your own vehicle kit, and develop map-reading skills. Lots of outdoor rec companies offer internships that will help you develop these skills.
This advice however is gold, thank you.
>>
>>18662156
Why? It's really convenient. You don't have to get buddy buddy with them, just work on staying the night.
>>
>>18662118
>implying I haven't

I spent three years traveling across America, Canada, and Northern Mexico on my motorcycle you cunt.

Yes, you can be a scum bag and steal and beg. Some of us have some personal standards, and wouldn't want to put ourselves in that position to begin with. I get that you may be okay with just taking whatever you can get, but I personally don't want anything I haven't earned.
>>
>>18662156
My god you are like a little baby. Take showers at truck driver rest stops and gas stations. There are loads of them.

Also don't feel bad about going for days without showering. Loads of outdoorsy folks so that and they smell fine. Your body will actually adjust to it and you can sterilize your clothing by bleaching it in the sun.

>>18662163
You said you wanted to do odd jobs very now and then to make money. You will make better money in remote areas if you have credentials, this will give you leverage and allow you to ask for better pay. Also if you're living out on the road it's essential that you have medical training to take care of yourself. You'd be shocked how useful that can be in preventative care for yourself and anyone you might be traveling with.
>>
>>18662167

It's not scummy to look out for yourself. Don't be a sucker like this guy OP. Also he's lying about his travel experience, it's such bullshit.
>>
>>18662156
>So winters are looking pretty sparce for showers.
Generally you don't travel as much during winter. Its best to just bunker down and wait it out. This is also the perfect time to use your trade skill to build up your cash reserve before moving out when its warmer.
>>
>>18662188
Best thing to do during the winters is to find a comfy as fuck hostel. Lots of places will let you work the front counter and do other shit in exchange for pay/ room & board.
>>
>>18662177
>My god you are like a little baby. Take showers at truck driver rest stops and gas stations. There are loads of them.
Did you miss the part where I can't travel on the highway? Rest stops and truck stops are out. Campgrounds. Gyms. Hotels. (an expensive shower btw)These are my options.
>Also don't feel bad about going for days without showering. Loads of outdoorsy folks so that and they smell fine.
One extreme to another. I never said I couldn't go a few days without a shower.
>>18662165
I don't like the idea of inviting myself into a stranger's home, feeling like I have to get to know them or pretend to be interested in their lives. The thought of it makes me uncomfortable. It's just not something I'm going to do.
>>
>>18662179
Looking out for yourself isn't inherently scummy. What makes it scummy is what you're willing to do.

And fuck off. Why should anyone listen to a morally repugnant twat like you?
>>
>>18662214
>go to gym
>sign up for 1 month trial
>shower
>...
>profit
>>
>>18662216
Yeah. I would feel wrong as a young able-bodied man. The only time I would ever beg would be if I were literally starving to death.
>>
>>18662216

Because I know what I'm doing? Moralfags like you always preach high and mighty, but then complain like pussies on the road when you're running low on funds. Faggots like you never last.
>>
>>18662218
That would mean sticking around in the same area. For fuck's sake why does everyone itt think I want to settle down in some city? You're completely missing the fucking point.
>>
>>18662222
And pieces of shit like you are a large reason why I gave up on society in the first place.

There's more than one way to survive. Doing it right takes more fucking work and preparation and planning. But it also means you can be proud of who you are and how you live your life. People like you are what's wrong with the world today.
>>
>>18662241
Keep telling yourself that. It's people like YOU who are the problem with society. You're nobodies who don't do anything for yourself other than waste your time doing shit you don't have to do and perpetuating shitty status quos.
>>
>>18662214
My conclusion is that you're a fragile, unrealistic, and rigid human being who does not have the commin sense to succeed or even enjoy this type of lifestyle. Consider a cubicle job or suicide.
>>
Isn't there a homeless thread on /out/?
>>
>>18662289
I want to do this so that I can enjoy the solitude. Sleeping on someone's couch is completely separate and totally unrelated to what I want to do with this. I don't even see why you're being so insistent on it.
>>
>>18663333
I'm not he jackass who's reeling you to sleep on people's couches. I'm the practical and experienced person when it comes to this type of thing who understands the correct headspace you need to be in to do this thing properly and I'm saying that you don't have it. You're a dumbass if you don't think medical training is absolutely essential to living a nomadic lifestyle.
>>
>>18663382
What's wrong with couch surfing?
>>
>>18663394
Nothing I'm just trying to give OP advice on the shot he actually wants to do and it's funny because there's this one anon in the thread who keeps telling him to sleep on people's couches. It's not for everyone.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.