[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is college a meme? I'm trying to decide between getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Is college a meme? I'm trying to decide between getting an apprenticeship or to go to college.If i where to go to college i would probably study wildlife biology if i where to go into a trade it would either be wood manufacturing or carpentry.I'm in ireland so student loans aren't that high
>>
>>18653324

It depends. If you're sure about your field of choice, willing to work hard to succeed and to make the extra effort to get internships and practical experience, then yes, college is a good option. If you really just want a job, regular pay within a reasonable time limit and think you'd might be okay with doing one job for the reat of your life, then go trade. With academic fields and studies you won't automatically get a job or be any sort of professional, but college degrees can be quite versatile depending on what experience you combine with it. You need to search for your chosen career harder. Whereas trades will get you a job, but one job only and usually not as good monies as in academic fields.
>>
As a counterpoint: I know you said you live in Ireland, so my input here may be just about worthless, but here in the states, unless you are absolutely certain you know you want to do wildlife biology (or more generally, something academic), you're probably better off picking up a trade. Here in the states, we are quite lacking in tradesmen, and I'm certain carpentry is up there.

If I wasn't going to do what I'm going to do, I'd probably try for being a welder or such myself.
>>
It depends. Right now I am a first year electrical apprentice who is planning on going back to school. I already have an associate's, and I'm thinking about transferring my credits into a finance or accounting major.

Personally, I am demoralized. Trades have fucked up the health of the journeyman I work with, and I keep hearing that getting a degree is far better than grinding out a life in manual labor.

I enjoy working with my hands, but damn this shit is boring. I just can't escape the feeling that I am not living up to my full potential.
>>
College at least in the US increases your overall career earnings as long as you get a job that isnt shit tier.

The getting a job part is up to you though.
>>
I think an apprenticeship would be better. But I don't know. College has limited options.
>>
>>18653324
College is not a meme. Degrees are a meme. If you're going into some dumb worthless field, you end up with a worthless degree.
If you're going into a trade, go into electricity. Everything comes and goes, but the world ends without electricity. It's guaranteed work and high pay.
>>
>>18653993
To tack into this, unless you get a degree in something actually useful (read: the "hard sciences" of the STEM meme), you may still get stuck in a shit-tier job.
>>
Good colleges, and good fields, are absolutely not a meme. Taking on debt to major in some worthless shit that you have some puddly, dilettantish interest in is.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.