[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there really any downsides to the U.S. Navy? I'm really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: us-military.jpg (487KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
us-military.jpg
487KB, 800x533px
Are there really any downsides to the U.S. Navy? I'm really thinking about joining up but I feel like I may not be thinking this through

upsides:
>Probably never going to see combat, and if I do the US navy is eons ahead of most of the world so casualties would be low.
>Free training in whatever I qualify for, pretty sure I can get a 90+ on the ASVAB but im scheduled to take it soon
>Living stipend + salary. save a little nest egg for when you leave.
>Military looks great on a resume.
>Would enter as an E-3 instead of E-1 and be able to be an NCO in a year, or apply to be an officer immediately with college degree im finishing

downsides:
>they get me for 4 years of active/reserves the 4 years of IRR.
>the frat culture is gonna suck because im not a mans man so it worries me I wont be able to make connections for promos.

I don't see traveling or being stuck on a ship as a downside. I love being on the water and I have no problem with tight spaces. Barely talk to my family and only have a few friends so the isolation won't be a problem. Am i missing anything?
>>
>>18647055
Not a U.S. Marine or a U.S. citizen. I am not sure if you are looking for their specific advice.
I also never went to military service, but thought about joining up (and decided I was to lazy).

I do have a feeling that you have to know about PTSS, search numbers of provided health care to veterans and get some perspective on that issue.
Also accept that it possibly will be more difficult for you to form relationsships at 'home' with people you really and deeply thrust if you are comparing it to the level of thrust certain soldiers can feel.
Also know that the US Military organisation, that in the absolute end doesn't care about your private live or livelong wellbeing. You work there, but not everyones back is covered by everyone.
>>
How far are you from finishing your degree? Degree in what?

Why do you want to join the Navy?
What jobs have you considered? (Forget the ASVAB for this q)
>>
>>18647055
>navy is eons ahead of other countries
You are extremely retarded. Missiles are cheaper than ships and a full salvo will destroy any ship you are on regardless of what side you are on.
>>18647055
>living stipend plus salary
You get basic pay and you get housing if you are married or 6 months after you make E5 which is usually after 4 years if you are smart and a hard worker. I make 5000 a month as a 6 year E-5 and picked up at the 3 year mark.
>4 years of active
If you get any rate with technical training then you will have to enlist for 6 years but you will get automatic E4.
>frat culture
Only if you get an engineer or air rate. Most technical jobs are filled with "nerdy" mtg players. Even the gangster black guys end up playing magic.

Other positives. Bachelors degree equals 4 points on the advancement test. If you still have school loans they have a loan repayment program if you get it in your contract when you first sign up. You can give your spouse your gi bill if you do 8 years.

You wont be able to jump to officer just because you have a degree. Lots of better qualified people will be applying with the same thing but they also have several years in the navy and are ranked Early Promotion sailors.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
>>
>>18647088
>>18647055
Forgot to mention.
You will be working over 70 hours a week minimum while on the water. Monday through Sunday but Sunday is church day so you can sleep in until 1230 unless you have watch during that time.
>>
>>18647088
Morbidly obese 30 year old male here. I want to join the military (any branch really) so that I can get pt'd into the ground, maybe get to kill someone, and die for my country so that my life would have had some meaning. If I survive then I'll leave physically fit as fuck and have a ton of money due to no expenses.

Is this something I can achieve in the navy? I have a college degree but am not fit (haha) to lead at all.
>>
>>18647354
The army will take you for sure
>>
>>18647354
No one will take a 30 year old out of shape guy. The chance of you dropping out of boot camp is too high. The chance of you trying to claim disability in boot camp is also too high.
>>
File: 1493007790420.png (120KB, 300x268px) Image search: [Google]
1493007790420.png
120KB, 300x268px
>>18647055
if your country is being invaded and your service is necessary to protect your country's soil then it is acceptable to join the armed services.

if you join up under any other circumstance then you're morally in the wrong.
>>
>>18647088
>Missiles are cheaper than ships and a full salvo will destroy any ship you are on regardless of what side you are on.
what is Aegis?????? MEADS???? We have the technology to completely nullify any missile attacks, it's not fully implemented and it's not foolproof at the moment but what you've stated is a joke especially since you called the guy a retard.
>>
>>18647367
I guess if it means I get to die trying to kill some fuck in the desert then so be it. Even if I have to deal with the uneducated masses that enlisted army is.

>>18647381
Damn it... Even if I get fit am I too old? How am I supposed to give my life meaning if I'm not out fighting and killing people?
>>
>>18647450
You are talking to a SPY technician.
>>
>>18647460
You arent too old depending on your intellect. One of the guys on my ship was 36 with 3 years in the navy. However he wasnt trying to get a job on the front line of the Army/Marines so I cant tell you how the recruiters will react.
>>
>>18647494
Then why do you not know about phalanx, aegis, mead, searam, sea sparrows?
>>
>>18647501
Hm. Well if I can't be out fighting then what's the point? It'd be no different than how I am now.
>>
>>18647557
If you can't take care of your body now to get in shape, why would you be able to do it after joining? Why should they take you if you haven't cared about your body long enough to get the way you are?
>>
>>18647512
20 sea skimming missiles with an rcs of less than .3 db squared timed to arrive within 3 seconds of each other at mach 2. This is the world we live in. Even c802s if you shoot enough of them all at the same time cant be shot down fast enough.
>>
>>18647512
These missiles are also chaff resistant and jamming resistant and even if they are hit with phalanx which overheats if used continuously and aegis which uses simiactive homing. Ram only has so many missiles in a cell. You are dead son. 40 million dollars to sink billions of dollars. Torpedos at all and you are dead.
>>
>>18647512
I know rcses of most secret missiles off the top of my head. Terminal flight patterns of unreleased missiles you can only google. I know kill percents of all of our weapons. We are in a world of super effective kill weapons and the best defense being a good offense.
What do you do when a chinese fishing boat arms up a c802 and shoots it at you within 1 nm? What do you do when that one fishing boat is in a swarm of 100 other boats most of which cost $200 and dont have a single thing on them? Shoot them all down and waste your ammo so they can bring the big guns and kill you dead?
>>
>>18647055
The main downside is that you won't get back home very often.
>>
>>18647055
if you want to go for a career in anything STEM or STEM related, just go Air Force
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.