[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone successfully overcome their depression? How long were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: tooeasy.jpg (29KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
tooeasy.jpg
29KB, 850x478px
Has anyone successfully overcome their depression? How long were you depressed? How did you beat it?

What is that like, on the other side?
>>
>>18645123
I have dealt with depression twice so far. Both times I needed medication, and also recurred to therapy. The longest I've dealt with it was around 4-5 years, intermittently. The second time I wasn't depressed for long, given other mental issues that I'd had before, I was already past the "not asking for help" phase that some people go through.
As said before, therapy and medication worked wonders for me. Problem is, took me years to find the right person, but I'm stubborn as fuck, so I didn't give up (and well, so are my parents and family, so even when I wanted, they wouldn't let me). It takes patience, hard work, willingness to listen and accept what you don't want to hear. You will need to change things, and that can be tough, but necessary.

Now, as someone who's, at the moment, off meds, I'll tell you, I've never been happier, I never thought I could be this happy and I can even see myself being happier. Everything I did was worth this, and that makes me kinda proud.
>>
Yeah, i ended up losing a dangerous amount of weight and spent most of my time sleeping.
I can't speak for your specific circumstances, but I basically did any and everything someome can do to naturally increase your energy, so eating clean, tracking nutrients, exericising frequently, avoiding the internet, getting consistent and enough sleep, and jacking off infrequently. Slogging through the first week is rough, and the first month isn't much better, but you'll feel alive again after that.
>>
>>18645123
I have been previously stalked by "the black dog" for years since I was 12 years old (I'm 28 years old).

In fact I've just discussed this on /fit/.

For me personally, medication did not work... actually made me worse and I was having anxiety attacks. Therapy also failed because I could not open up properly. I've come really close to suicide.

Fitness...... fitness is what saved me. After attending a session of 'boxercise' (boxing exercise) with a friend after I nearly lost my shit entirely, I felt awesome! I've never looked back since. I workout, go running and compete in amateur boxing tournament's now. I've started therapy again and open up a lot me.

I highly recommend any form of exercise or sport to anyone suffering from depression or anxiety, alongside therapy (I attend Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)
>>
>>18645509
>>18645507
>within 20 seconds
Gainz confirmed for being the best medicine
>>
>>18645516
Oh and comedy bruh.

I go to the main comedy club in my city every fortnight Saturday and get drunk and laugh my ass off.

Therapy > Diet > Fitness/Sport > Comedy relief
>>
>>18645123
>Has anyone successfully overcome their depression?
Yes
>How long were you depressed?
Pretty much the entirety of high school and 6 months after graduating college
>How did you beat it?
By admitting to myself that I have a problem and that I need help solving it. Saw a shrink for about 6 months and he helped me understand why I felt the way I did and taught me how to control and fight it.
>What is that like, on the other side?
I'm not gonna lie, it's work. You don't just wake up everyday happy, you have to work for it. Sometimes your effort pays off and you have a good day, sometimes if doesn't and you go to sleep crying. The things I found help best are
Friends - a lot of heavy stuff feels incredibly hard to talk woth family about, having friends and loved ones to provide a shoulder and sympathetic ear is key to surviving
Responsibility - living every day with something to do (i gotta do the dishes tonight, I gotta brush my teeth before I go to bed, I gotta go to the gym more days this week than not) keeps you fighting. No matter how shitty your day is or had bad you fuck up, it's those little victories of fulfilling responsibilities that get you through it
A hobby - 4chan isn't a hobby, I found that by limiting my time using 4chan or any other "browse for random shit" site I generally feel better. It's nice to kill time like during lunch at work, but spending time reading or practicing a hobby feels like time spent DOING something and not just existing.
>>
I used to have major/severe depression, some type of fucked up sleep thing where I physically could not move, trichotillomania, and probably social anxiety too. i was also a heavy drinker.

believe it or not, most of it was fixed through steady exercise, adherence to a regular daytime schedule, making sure i don't eat shit food and/or starve myself, and hobbies.

I still have some problems, but these are the ones that, once they get cleared out, will upgrade me from 'meh' to 'happy'.

So yeah it's definitely doable anon.
>>
>>18645509
I second this. I started listening to other peoples songs and creative shit about depression and I started to exercise. It grew into something that I love doing and made me more confident than ever.
>>
I wont lie, ive been depressed for 9 years straight, i dont know how to overcome it
>>
Setting long term goals and short term goals in order to achieve it.

Be healthy, workout, good diet, enough sleep. Make a plan for everything and stick to it. Be social, get creative hobbies, read philosophy, religion etc
>>
>Has anyone successfully overcome their depression?

I have

>How long were you depressed?

From around 17 to 25. I was in and out of psych wards, tried shitloads of meds, over 40 drugs, got addicted to heroin, benzos, and alcohol at various points, tried to suicide twice once by drug overdose and also drove my car off a bridge, except I lolfailed no idea why. I spent weeks researching LD50's took a multiplebenzo+heroin+alcohol+promethazine OD. Drove my car at a bridge at 120km with no seatbelt. Both times just ended up in a coma and long hospital stays.

>How did you beat it?

Couldn't tell you. The medications they gave me never helped, drugs obviously didn't. I think it was just time, and I stopped putting all this pressure o myself to acheive anything. I decided I was okay with being normal and mediocre.

>What is that like, on the other side?

Not sure it was worth it, but I'm here now. You still have to deal with the normal issues of life aside from depression, life itself isnt a good thing, it's just a series of obligations and needs to fulfil, with some time inbetween to distract your attention enough into something (eg, art, movies, games, music) so that you almost become non-conscious of your own existence. when listening to music you become the music, and forget your existence. This is what we call pleasure in everyday life. Although there is positive pleasure in life, it's rare. I've experienced it mostly while on drugs, on through humour. Life's problems don't just disappear when you become non-depressed, it's still a hellish world of misery and suffering, you just have a more positive attitiude towards it.
>>
>>18645123
I did it by following the /fit/ sticky religiously. I lost do much weight so fast people thought I was on drugs yet I'd never been so healthy. I built my weight back up with lifting. Best I've ever felt.
I even got a girlfriend for a while.
I stopped at that point and went back to square one over a couple years.
I'm now basically a lonely shut in outside of work.
My job keeps me going.
My left testy started hurting a week ago, its swollen and has a hard lump. Going to docs tomorow.
It could be worse anon. If I come out of this ok I'm going to appreciate life and try harder.
>>
>>18646362
hope you and your testy will be ok, anon
>>
>>18646364
I have no idea what I'm in for. A big concern is my elderly cat Jess who I've had since a kitten. She's been my only friend and is bonded to me. Don't know what I can do with her if I'm getting a death sentence
>>
Got help and realised there is better things to focus on rather than that feeling
>>
>>18645123
I'm trying to, but it's not easy and I just want to give up.
>>
>>18645123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o&ab_channel=CGPGrey
7 minutes. Worth it.

Don't evaluate yourself by outside metrics. Figure out what you did or were capable of yesterday, last week, last month, last year. Measure yourself against who you were. Know what you're capable of draw confidence and security from what you CAN do, and how you've improved.

Do stuff.

Do something.

Do basically anything that can be construed as self improvement.

Failing all else, become so depressed that you don't care about anything, including your own depression and start doing stuff again and realize you somehow bottomed out and came out the other side.

My experience with depression, after a certain point, was that I actively avoided seeking help or correcting my behavior because I wanted to fail. I needed to fail at life. Because if I fixed it, and started succeeding, then all my previous failures were my fault. I was capable of more. I was capable of being happy. What was in my way was me, so I must never become better because that would prove my fears true.

In the end, getting out the other side I didn't feel like 'I' was the problem, but rather that I'd picked up some small mental bug or glitch that made me self sabotage. I realized that I had been sick -- and now, when depression starts to appear on the horizon again, I treat it like the flu. I know personal techniques and remedies that work for me, that make me feel better and be better -- kind of like chicken noodle soup. It's just comfy and nice and makes you feel better that much faster, even if it might not really be the most medicinal. Just for depression it's to take care of some plants, take long walks, or more aggressively pursue socialization before I get so 'sick' that I don't want to get out of bed.
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.jpg (47KB, 480x270px)
giphy-facebook_s.jpg
47KB, 480x270px
>>18645123
It's different for everyone. I never had medication because I don't think depression has that much control over me. That's also how I live with it. Knowing it's not a physical thing, just some phantom pain, makes it easier to identify and cope. Also, forcing me to do actual effort to make my life better, which improves mood drastically. Such as get fit, eat healthy, work, live clean. There will be times it gets difficult when you face challenges, however when you've secured a sort of basic routine that doesn't ruin your chances in life, it will be much easier. You'll be too busy to be brought down by a sad mood, though it may not disappear, it won't be on on your mind, it won't affect your life if you're too busy living it. Whatever conditions that don't allow you to live your life to your satisfaction you should consider taking steps to change that and work towards improving your environment, as well as yourself. Often, improving yourself has to be done first, so that you prove yourself worthy of a better life as well to others. Fit people have more energy, confidence, and are more sociable, which will increase your chances of people putting trust in you and allowing you to be a responsible adult. In fact, the sole authority will come to lie with you about what you do with your life. Nobody will question someone who is successful.

What helped me personally is a treatment of L-tyrosine along with fitness. It reduced my depression to a faint memory. Taking care of myself financially and as a homeowner ensures that the majority of time I have nothing to worry about for myself. Give your depression no space, and it won't linger.

Different stuff works for different people. I won't recommend medication. I won't dissuade you either though I think it's a scam.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.