[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>work in an industry I care about and like a lot >have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: VuoLn4Zz.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
VuoLn4Zz.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>work in an industry I care about and like a lot
>have to work with one guy who is literally fucking unbearable
>takes credit for all my work
>thought maybe management would figure it out, but they constantly refer to it as "his" project.
>tries to take control of fucking everything
>every day working with him is the worst
>still want to work in this industry, but no other companies do quite what this one is doing

what do?
>>
Give an example of how he take credit for all your work
>>
>>18644761
I'm a programmer. Imagine me and him are working on the same team for the same project.

Suppose I made a video player, which is relatively complex if it works smoothly and for every user.
He will then take that code and move it into a separate repository, manually copying the code over. This basically "stamps" his name into it and removes mine _entirely_.
On it's own, there could be justification for someone doing that, like deadlines coming up so just doing it quick. But what's sleazy about it is he usually doesn't even tell me that he did this, and does it very early. On top of that, he will restrict access to only himself to basically secure full control over it.
Goes further than that. He will then brag about it as if it was wholly his achievement to people. I once heard him talking on the phone with a remote employee saying something along the lines of "oh, you should use the player I made, it's <here>, it's significantly better than anything we've made before"
One level more than that, he usually set up the product meetings and didn't invite me.

All of these things seem like they are tailor-made for having an easy excuse. "You didn't invite me to the meeting", he would respond "oh, I didn't think you wanted to go, it's just boring business stuff haha". I would say "why did you take this code and move it here before consulting me", and he would say "oh you know we had to keep moving, deadline is coming up".
Something in my blood tells me he is trying to cheat me every chance he gets.

Now at first I thought no one would be dumb enough to fall for this, but time and time again if we're working on the same project, people refer to it as "his". They seem oblivious to the fact I even worked on it.
They will almost refer to him as the sole contributor in meetings, and if they ask anyone a question about it, it's him.

I feel like if I bring it up to my boss, I will come off as whiny because he probably only cares about results.
>>
>>18644790
Here's a thought: leave. Wowwwww! Mind blowing!! There's lots of other software jobs, OP.
>>
>>18644790
Gather evidence and go to HR. If you have repos, it is very easy to compare time of commits, that the whole code is identical and that he has one huge commit in the contrast of your repo.

And prepare to find new job.
>>
>>18644901
Wouldn't this just make them mad though?
it's not like it's effecting their bottom line, so it would probably just seem on a high level like I am wasting their time.
>>
>>18644901
HR doesn't give a shit about your squabbles with your employees. The only thing they give a shit about is avoiding a lawsuit. The common misconception is that HR is there to help you. They are not. They are there to protect the company. They don't give even one shit about you.
>>
>>18644914
Untrue HR does have an incentive to keep its employees happy.

If the coworkers are unhappy the HE department runs the risk of internal collapse.
>>
>>18644906
>mad
Depends on what type of firm you are. There are ones where it is a eat or be eaten like >>18644914 said. They are ussually smallish or super huge where every piece of humanity was lost long ago.

And there are also companies wherevthey actually want to stay in bussiness longer than 4 years and know that they need loyal experienced employees and will eliminate any cancer as your coworker.

Either way once you find out you are in shark pond, you know everything is allowed, keep all your repos private, insert malitious code which isnt activated only when you release / compile on your own pc, insert pieces of code with your signature (aka not easily deleted / replaced @author tags in comment) and do whatever you want and can to protect yourself from other shits.

Dont forget to to smile at him while you send him emails with fake info from "his boss" to nonexistent meetings. Time to install virus on his pc and spread lies behing his back?
>>
>>18644918
Sorry to burst your bubble but no, no it doesn't have any incentive to keep you happy. As long as they can reasonably prove that there wasn't abuse or a hostile work environment they'll tell you to fuck right off. Nicely, of course.

>>18644933
The team I worked for was part of a decently large software corporation and 4/7 members on my team had been there for 10+ years. Their modus operandi was chew you up and spit you out. If you couldn't handle it then you were gone. HR gave absolutely no fucks.
>>
>>18644948
Yeah but that violates serval conduct laws for the workforce.

It's their job to make sure you are happy and at least able to work.
>>
>>18644948
Yeah, and i was working for three years for very large company and going to job was fun and entertaining for me solely because none of the coworkers i have worked with was an asshole.

Your point?
>>
>>18644864
the problem is that I really, really like what I am doing from both a tech perspective and what I am making
there are plenty of jobs, but a lack of relatively more appealing jobs... like I could work at a bank or insurance agency, easy, but I think I would be bored as fuck.
>>
This happened to me so i just started doing the minimum necessary at my job, even if we were about to do a release. I actually would have been fine sharing credit but the girl would badmouth me to our boss to try and make me go faster. Anyway the girl riding me had oversold what she could accomplish without me working super hard on her project. She got super butthurt at me. Then she got really stressed out and quit

Anyway i didn't really care about getting fired or not so might not work for you, my boss was sort of mad at me for the duration
>>
>>18644952
You being happy is nowhere in the workforce laws. There's no laws against having douchey coworkers or a boss that's "mean" to you. Spoilers: you're going to work with people you don't like and with people who don't like you. That's not HRs problem. At all.

>>18644959
My point is that a company that did retain talented engineers and did last longer than four years had an HR dept that gave no fucks if you didn't have grounds to sue them.

>>18644970
Then either do something about it or shut the hell up. Those are really your only two options. Nobody is going to stand up for you unless you do.
>>
>>18644971
he's a decent programmer, he just talks very very highly of himself. He's enormously extroverted and seems like the standard "businessman" personality. Loves to talk rather than do.
I think he will just turn it around somehow, because someone like me is significantly more introverted which I think people don't appreciate
he's been at the company 1 month more than me so he technically has seniority
>>
>>18644981
Still, op has nothing to lose by seeing hr or his boss about it first. Once they laught at him, he will know that everything is allowed and then can do something like >>18644975 this.

Like what is the poin of being good employee when being bad pays the same and is less stressful?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.