[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Pharmacy a respectable course to master in? What tier would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (8KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 272x185px
Is Pharmacy a respectable course to master in? What tier would you rate it?

My aunt has a stick up her ass and made me feel shit about doing something 'lesser'. Shit, i know it ain't in the seem league as Medicine but it's the same sport... right?
>>
Pharma is known as an evil public enemy entity after Martin Shkreli's shenanigans. Before, it was the same evil but hidden a lot more. So it makes sense why your aunt is ashamed of you.
>>
>>18643530
I think its more like your the guy selling gatorade too people over being in the same sport as them
>>
File: tenors.gif (2MB, 498x343px) Image search: [Google]
tenors.gif
2MB, 498x343px
>>18643530
If you like counting pills and looking up weird reactions medicine has when mixed, go for it man. Don't let anyone else dictate what you do with your life. Do what makes you happy.
>>
>>18643530
I personally think it's a great degree. Pharmacists make 6 figures across the board. I'm not sure what to pay is if you were to work in developing medicines (I'm under the impression that has more to do with chemistry anyways).

>>18643541
Shkreli is demonized because he exposed how broken the system is. He's charging insurance companies an obscene amount because they cannot refuse to pay it as a result of ACA guidelines. Pharama companies across the nation are doing the same but it's so easy to demonize one individual because he's so laid back and doesn't come off as your typical corporate stiff.

Also, his focus was in finance, not medicine.
>>
>>18643542
Ouch... I guess selling Gatorade to the RB is still better than being NEET though, eh?
>>
File: 1486007554916.png (85KB, 388x218px) Image search: [Google]
1486007554916.png
85KB, 388x218px
What does your aunt do?

What do you mean masters in pharmacy? As in a PharmD, where you're an actual pharmacist, or a Masters of Pharmaceutical Sciences where you're jerked around and instructed like a pharmacist but you don't get the job of one? Cause those are two different things.
>>
>>18643554
To add on, if you're gonna do a masters of pharmacology, atleast get like a double major of business.

If you're just doing your masters of pharm, just do pharmacy.

Do you even know Pharmacy? I worked as a pharmacy assistant and I can tell you it's not what you think it is.

If you work in a decent retail pharmacy, where you're given pharmacy assistants and technicians, you won't be filling meds. The assts/techs fill the meds, and you just check that the medication aligns with the prescriptions, and if there are any interactions.

Maybe once or twice a week you'll get someone who will ask for your advice.

If you work at a shitty walmart pharmacy though, you will be required to do everything. They overwork you like crazy. Not only are you responsible for filling, but also data entry, and keeping records, pulling them out, etc.
>>
>>18643554
Sorry, im from the UK. We call it a MPharm (Master of Pharmacy). But yes, a PharmD.

Im not actually sure what she does. Something within the Church. She's extremely pretentious.
>>
idk man, i don't know much about what pharma does, but as a mental health patient, priscriptionists and pharma techs really helped me out. just recently, a pharma tech found out that my primary physician was kinda flippantly givng me scripts, and he had prescribed me a pill i told him tgat i should not be around (cause I'd abused it in the past), and she helped me get a different physician tgat was willing to communicate with my psychiatrist and psychologist.
i have a grudge against the evil of pharma co., but i believe pharma techs mean very well, as long as you find the right one.
plus, not only is pharma just a very informative, fun to learn field, but that's benefits, possible pension, and a good paycheck, so you should go for it! plus, there's always room in the medical field.
i support you, op.
>>
>>18643564
I do have some appreciation for what lies ahead in a career in pharmacy. I hope to work within a hospital though, not retail.
>>
File: UQ6zAJd.jpg (84KB, 1147x493px) Image search: [Google]
UQ6zAJd.jpg
84KB, 1147x493px
>>18643569
Ah I see. Yea, in Canada a Masters in Pharm indicates graduate studies after a bachelors.

Well, the job may be different in the UK. All the pharmacists I've worked with (6 or 7) are all immigrants. That's not to say that immigrants are bad, I'm just saying that, unlike medicine, where the US or Canada may accept only 100 foreign doctors annually, the US and Canada accept a lot more people who come from the outside, which means they'll work for less money.

Retail pharmacy, like any 'store' is a race to the bottom for profit. How low can we pay this pharmacist.

I would take my advice with a grain of salt. Can you talk to your counselors? Maybe talk to MPharm graduates? Do some online research?

And about your aunt, maybe she's projecting her own fears onto you. I mean yeah, Pharmacy isn't that glamorous. It's an over glorified desk job, you're not reviving a dead kid or reconnecting severed spinal nerves on a quadriplegic but you get paid well, generally work 8hr shifts, get benefits, and all that. Is Pharmacy something you want to do? If your bachelors is in a science field, maybe you can apply to Pharmacy Assistant jobs, work for a few months and see how you like it there.

There's a lot of hate for pharmacists and 'big pharma' but honestly, it's subjective. The pharmacists I worked with went out of their way to save the customer as much $ as possible. They'd get prescriptions for brand name meds and contact the doctor/fill out the generic brand. The pharmacists aren't evil cunts trying to rip people off.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.