[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write great lyrics? When I freely put my emotions into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg (66KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg
66KB, 300x300px
How do I write great lyrics? When I freely put my emotions into words it always has this pathetic tone that is not interesting or artistic.
>>
Bump, I really struggle with this as well
>>
I would look into poems, and different theories on it.

Songs are basicly poems sung.
>>
>>18638636
Accept that your first attempts are going to be shit regardless of anything. Don't think they are not worth being written down though. Read them after several weeks, see what makes them shit, and try to eliminate these things in your next lyrics.
>>
>>18638732
This. I've been writing songs for 8 years now, and this is basically the theory.

Ed Sheeran put it like running dirty water through a faucet. It'll be actual garbage at first, but as you let out all that dirt--you'll fix the clog.

Just keep writing and keep living. Can't write about life while you're living it.

It helps to gravitate toward and study from writers you admire, of any discipline. Some of mine are Frank Ocean, Freddie Mercury, Bob Dylan, Donald Glover, Charles Bukowski, Jay-Z, Eminem, Amy Winehouse, etc.

Just keep going and accept that you're going to suck, don't stop yourself.
>>
>>18638738
(Same anon)

And be honest, the truth is unfuckwittable. The truth always finds a way to connect people. Patrice O'Neal said something along those lines
>>
All good advice! thanks guys
>>
>>18638636
Embrace new life experiences. This will diversify your inspirations for the ways you think. Get out and do new things in the world. Learn new pieces of different academic disciplines that you've never explored before. In regards to writing lyrics, it would be especially useful to look into new hobbies or disciplines that require you to adopt new vocabulary, which will broaden the scope of words you know. I don't know what your current brainstyle is like, but if your lyrics do not seem engaging, it may be because your life experiences have stagnated.
>>
>>18638775
Interesting perspective, I like it. That's kind of how I look at the issue sometimes too but diversifying my life experience seems very intimidating and it's hard to justify the cost of something with such an abstract reward
>>
>>18638783
>intimidating
I can respect how intimidating new things can be.
>abstract reward
>how do I write great lyrics
Isn't what you are seeking a rather abstract goal? New experiences will help you concretize your efforts.
>>
>>18638738
Thanks for reminding me of Amy Winehouse.

Let's be sad now.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.