[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am starting my first year of college soon. Is there any tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: Twin Peaks.jpg (84KB, 619x682px) Image search: [Google]
Twin Peaks.jpg
84KB, 619x682px
I am starting my first year of college soon. Is there any tips or Life lessons that would make my school life easier or just improve it all around? Also How are Clubs in college? Is it worth it to join one?
pic unrelated
>>
>>18638615
pls help
>>
>>18638615
Im gonna give you the same advice someone here gave me a little while ago. Im also starting college.

-be active, try to find new people, there will be events and it's definitely worth while to join a Club but once there you have to decide whether it's interesting or stimulating

-be organized and stay on top of your homework (reading, learning, writing)

There isn't anything very specific about any tips because everyone chooses a different path most suitable for him.
I'd recommend reading books and maybe gettin into some form of art.
>>
File: 4107_111b_500.png (216KB, 500x930px) Image search: [Google]
4107_111b_500.png
216KB, 500x930px
>>18638743
>>18638615
I can also give you some pics with vague wisdoms.
>>
File: 7620_3f40_500.jpg (29KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
7620_3f40_500.jpg
29KB, 500x293px
>>18638758
>>18638615

Are you gonna live on the campus or by yourself in a flat?
>>
>>18638776
[spoiler]live with my parents.[/spoiler]
School is only 3 Miles away and the bus route goes straight through my neighborhood and to the school.
>>
>>18638779
[spoiler] I fucking hate how easy these are to fuck up even with doing the ctrl+s shortcut [/spoiler]
>>
>>18638786
>>18638779
Right are spoilers just disabled on here?
>>
File: 1497572115214.png (55KB, 1154x294px) Image search: [Google]
1497572115214.png
55KB, 1154x294px
>>18638779
Yeah apoilers are disabled. Well, where you love doesn't matter all that much. I'll be living in another city just to go to college, but if you already know people or live in a small town it's easier to get into social circles. If you want to I'd recommend watching Tatami Galaxy, it's an anime about a guy choosing different Clubs, it's cool and the ending helped me understand some things. Like the odea that you will never be satisfied with what you choose or that you are responsible for your happiness. At least that's what I got from it.
>>
>>18638615
Don't slack off
>>
I'll be graduating from uni in December, so I'll give you some advice on things that I didn't do.
Try to live on campus for at least one semester. I know it's expensive, but it will really help introduce you to a lot of new people/potential friends and prepare you for living away from home, whenever that happens.
Join some clubs, both academic and physical. Just spend time with people, make connections.
Work with your guidance department to get co-ops and work placement positions. They'll also likely help you write a good resume.
Don't be afraid of community college. If you need to wack out a few geneds at a fraction of the cost, do it. They'll also likely be piss easy. Check with your main school if the credits will transfer, though.
Every now and then, just take classes that seem fun to you. I ended up taking a writing class my sophomore year, and now I'm getting an English minor.
Something my brother told me, there will always be some other party next weekend. If you have a deadline that you need to hit, don't go out, and just put in the work.
Check libgen for books, but you'll likely have to pay out the ass for online homework codes instead, so have fun getting ripped off for that like the rest of us.
Break up with any girlfriend/boyfriend you currently have.
Don't get pregnant.
Get condoms.
Find the effort difference between 100% and a 91%, it'll save your life.
Have fun.
>>
>>18638615
beer before liquor you've never been sicker, liquor before beer you're in the clear. Do not smoke weed if you've been drinking already, you'll get the spins, at which point you can just lay down and let one foot or arm touch the floor or wall
>>
>>18639313
Got tips for LCD?
>>
>>18638615
If you're in a dorm, keep your door open as much as possible.
>>
>>18639720
why?
>>
>>18639313
Those rhymes are absolute bullshit.

Know your limit.

Never go to a party thinking "I'm going to get fucked up!!" because you will get fucked up. Always be in control. Don't embarrass yourself.
>>
>>18639723
Because it's the best way to meet people. Someone may just be going through looking for extra bodies to throw around a frisbee or football or whatever.
>>
File: OUY KCUF YEH.webm (603KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
OUY KCUF YEH.webm
603KB, 600x338px
>>18638615
Joining clubs is cool and its a nice break from coming to campus going to class and doing homework or just going home.

I was not an Ag or Geology major but I was in the Ag and Geology clubs just for the field trips.

Use your schools math and writing center fags are being payed to help your ass out. Use your calender on your phone to schedule studying for tests and papers dont procrastinate
>>
>>18638615
apply for more scholarships and grants
don't take out loans unless you absolutely have to.
>>
>>18639715
Liquid Crystal Display?
>>
File: original.jpg (77KB, 538x810px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
77KB, 538x810px
I'll tell you, I'm going into my 5th year a lonely loser who hasn't made a single friend all the time I've been here.

My biggest regret was blowing off all the freshman activities they put on the first couple weeks. They're cringy as hell, forced, and awkward but by god they're necessary to making friends. Don't blow them off like I did, go to every single one of them no matter how boring they sound, and talk to all the other freshmen looking for new friends. Everyone will group up pretty quick and it's very difficult to inject yourself into an already established group.

As miserable and lonely as I am though, at least the result was good grades. When you have nothing else to do other than study because you have no friends, you at least do well in school. I still would have sacrificed straight A's in favor of B's if it meant I could have someone to watch netflix and go to a bar with though.
>>
>>18639727
What's the point of drinking if you don't want to get wasted? Plus, not drinking makes it feel like everyone else is having fun except for you. There isn't really a middle ground
>>
>>18641647
There is absolutely a middleground of being drunk. The point is don't get sloppy, throw up, pass out drunk, you can drink and get drunk without making an ass of yourself. That's the important part.
>>
>>18641647
>There isn't really a middle ground
Translation: I can't handle my alcohol
>>
>>18641762
I can handle my liqour, I drink that 0.7l of vodka friday night party or not, but drinking any less than that is just a waste. Why drink if not to get drunk?
>>
I don't know what to expect for the first day tomorrow. Do you actually learn anything besides go over the syllabus? One of my classes if 4 hours long so I don't know if I get to leave early.
>>
File: 1416975275162.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1416975275162.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
>>18641835
>Why drink if not to get drunk?
I'll tell you when you're older.
>>18641856
Depends on the class level and professor. With a 4 hour class, they'll probably start going over material, but you may get lucky and they'll cut it short. I assume it's a once a week class? I doubt you'll be lucky enough to just get the syllabus.
>>
Any of you guys been homeless while starting college for the first time? My first semester starts on the 28th and I'll be taking night classes and homeless in orlando without a license or vehicle and could use some advice.
>>
>>18641835
You can drink and get drunk but not black out or spend the majority of the night by the toilet, you know.
>>
>>18641647

>What's the point of drinking if you don't want to get wasted? Plus, not drinking makes it feel like everyone else is having fun except for you. There isn't really a middle ground

Yikes. I hope I never sounded this dumb and childish when I was in college. I probably did, to be honest.
>>
>>18641896
Get literally any job. WcDonalds, construction, whatever. You need some kind of income. See if you can get on food stamps. You likely need a license and car ASAP. If not just for convenience, but for opportunities and identification.
You can try to find a public camp grounds, and sleep there, if you can.
Beans and rice will become your food staple.
Try to find friends that will either let you couch surf, or get an apartment together.
The one strategy I heard is to sleep in your car, and get a gym membership as they're rarely closed and you get shower access.
Stay away from other homeless people, shave regularly.
Is going to college when you're in this financial state the best thing for you? If you're that desperate, I'd try and work and save up some money and go when you're not homeless.
Or just join the army and not worry about it, I guess. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>18638615
>The college experience is for kids who didn't do drugs and fuck in highschool
Get your fucking work done, act like you're actually there to leave with a career(study on an academic level on your own time), do things that support that like undergrad research and internships, find people with the same goals (not necessarily in your field) and stick with them.
>>
Be honest with yourself and know when to cut your losses. If you're failing out of your low level classes, whether it be due to subject matter, skill level, or whatever, either fix what you need to do or get out.
I stuck with an engineering degree for way too long trying to make it work without putting in enough effort, and my GPA is still fucked up from it, even after switching to an easier program.
>>
>>18639723
Because you need to be welcoming. Dorm life is literally the easiest way to meet people and make friends and just leaving your door open allows people to pop in and introduce themselves and you can do it to.

Also go the gym on campus. Go a lot. You are already paying for it so use the shit out of it. Go so often people started to notice you from there at other places. Don't let your youthful body and strength go to waste.
>>
>>18641647
What fraternity u in bruh?
>>
>>18638615
-remember that everyone else there is just as nervous and strung out as you are. Being nice and engaging is an easy way to make friends.
-be punctual and attentive in class, Professor's are human beings and they appreciate it when students treat them with respect. If you make a point of being engaged and actually attempt to learn they will give you much more leeway and assistance in succeeding.
-Realize you don't have to spend time with people you find repugnant. You don't have to be a dick about it, just stop associating with people you hate, it will do wonders for your mental health.
-try and get a part time job, doesn't matter if it's minimum wage. It will teach to you to manage multiple responsibilities and make tough choices without cracking (shit, I really need to study for tomorrow's test but I've got work tonight until 9pm, what do I do?)
-Do procrastinate, there are a lot of students who get into the habit of just pulling all-nighters the weekend before assignments are due; it's not sustainable and will destroy you in the real world.
-If you are living with your parents make an honest effort to rent an apartment with roommates (preferably friends, but total strangers are good for a learning experience). You won't be living with you parents forever and it's important to develop skills for living with other people who are not your family
-SHOWER, BRUSH YOUR TEETH, GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR HYGIENE. Take care of yourself for fuck's sake. Everyone hates the troll who emits a stench of sour body odor.
-Make an honest attempt to date, it helps to explore your preferences in a partner and waiting till you finish college will stunt your socialization capability.
-Don't just follow a major because someone else wants you to. Pursue something you legitimately enjoy. You're gonna rack a shitload of debt no matter what, you might as well do something your enjoy for those 4+ years.
>>
Make a GoogleDrive folder for each of your classes, and keep a copy of all of your documents and assignments in it. Being able to pull up your papers from any computer on campus is a lifesaver.
I'd also make a secondary folder for the class if there is to be a group project or whatever that you can share, it becomes much easier to exchange and work on a powerpoint or whatever.
Also, if someone in your group is fucking around, just go straight to the professor and let them handle it. Most will warn them, and tank their grade if they don't step up. I've seen professors who would just say tough nuts to a group, and say "this is what I expect in the project, I don't care how you get it done."
>>
Are there any good alternative local chat apps now that YikYak is dead? It was always so handy to be able to talk to the campus like that.
I've got Spout now, but it just isn't the same.
>>
>>18642084
-clubs are great for activities which have a large investment in equipment (most sports, band, etc.) , but for stuff that you can just do look elsewhere. Anything geeky will probably be worth avoiding in favor of finding a local game store, just trust me on this.
-Make an effort to do your own laundry, cook for yourself, pay bills, maintain a car, all life skills you will need to make use of in the real world
-Look for a career job waaay before you graduate. It doesn't have to be the thing you will spend your whole life working on, but you will be shocked at how long it takes to get one, and it sucks major balls having nothing to do after your graduate but job hunt.
-Do not be afraid to seek out professional help for stress issues. You will be happy you did.
>>
>>18642125
>go to campus job fairs with everyone else for a few years
>hand over resume
>get a few emails back
>few interview
>never a callback
I'm about to graduate and I'm basically fucked.
>>
>>18642169
you gotta be aggressive as fuck. Not irritating but persistent. Make sure anywhere you interview you do a follow up call/email a week later. There's this amazing trend in the workforce today where you don't tell people that you did not select them for a job. Keep asking for responses, make them tell you yes or no.
>>
>>18642186
By callback I just meant that they never asked me to come back for a second interview. Not many have straight up ghosted me.
>>
>>18642285
I mean actually call/email the person who interviewed you asking for a status on if you've got the job or not. It shows that you're interested and forces them to respond. The best interview I ever did was where I got a clear "no thank you" in 2 days so I didn't have to keep stressing out over how it went.
>>
>>18638615
one thing i learned a little bit late. make friends with people you can make business later
but dont be a dick ok?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.