[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell do I make friends out of school/ in college? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: ripfeels.gif (80KB, 592x415px) Image search: [Google]
ripfeels.gif
80KB, 592x415px
How the hell do I make friends out of school/ in college?
I'm fresh out of high school and I'll be going to college in 2 weeks but, I don't know how I'll talk to people in college or outside of it.
>>
>>18638083
http://www.improveyoursocialskills.com/conversation
>>
Up until my fourth year of university (last semester, actually), I never made a single friend in university. I've had social anxiety all my life. Didn't really have any friends from before uni, either.

I still have SA, but last semester, I made an effort to push out of my comfort zone and make friends. I've always kind of wondered just how the hell people make friends. How does one go from small talk to spending time together regularly?

You know what I've learnt? Making friends in university works the exact same way as making friends in grade 2. You pretty much just go up to somebody and ask, "you wanna be my friend?" and most people are pretty down for that. Go up to somebody in your class. Make pointless, uninteresting small talk about pretty much anything. Course content, assignments, movies, food, etc. Maybe you'll get into common interests of experiences (doesn't have to be anything profound, you could talk about how being a poor student sucks). Ask for their number and tell them you'd like to hang out sometime.

A lot of people in uni are in your boat of having few friends, and will be relieved that you did most of the work for them. Others have friends they can introduce you to.

It's not an overnight cure for shyness. You'll still feel anxious and struggle to make conversation at times. But it'll get more comfortable with time, and you will actually have the option of hanging out with somebody on a Friday night instead of posting on 4chan. It's a really good feeling.
>>
>>18638166
now I'm just jealous
4th year is really different than 1st year though
>>
>>18639120
1st is easier to make friends in cause no one knows each other
>>
>>18638083
Join a handful of clubs that interest you on campus. Friendship is easily built on shared interests.

If you are living on campus, dorms usually have social events for freshman run by RAs. They are there to help people socialize and interact with one another, since everyone is new.

Good luck, anon!
>>
Join a couple of clubs/societies. Like if your major is Biology join the Biology Majors Club.
>>
>>18638083
Never say no. If somebody says, "let's get a pizza", agree and enjoy.
>>
>>18638083
Just keep cool and be open for the most part. I had 0 (zero) friends at Highschool but now I got a nice group of friends to hang around with and a qt gf. Think about it, in probably every uni, about 80% of people going to attend are people who barely have any idea what to expect and who they will be meeting. Just remember to join clubs and to be open in general while not being a complete cunt. University is the one time where you can be like a kid but no one will actually care because its uni.
>>
It's easier than you might think, buddy. I know it's cliche and it's very frowned upon to say but you really do just have to be yourself. Even if you think the person that you are isn't a person other people might like, you have to find a way to make yourself socially paletable person. Of course, at your age it's going to expected that many of you will have some awkward phases and the usual growing pains. Just let them happen. Live out every day one day at a time, one exam at a time, one date at a time. You don't have to be some over-the-top socialite-type, and you don't have to necessarily "sell out" or dumb yourself down for other people. Just try to remember that everyone there is a human being, just like you, and most of you are going to have apprehensions and reservations at some point. That's perfectly normal, just don't let them dictate how you live your life. Don't let social anxieties and phobias deprive you of what will be some of the best years of your young life. Treat everyone with kindness and dignity and most of the time it won't go unnoticed. You don't have to be a kiss-ass or doormat, just don't be a total piece of shit to people. Usually, they'll reciprocate. It's okay to be afraid when your first stepping out into the world but don't let that fear push you into submission, locking yourself away from the outside world or intentionally inundating yourself with school work so as to hide away from everyone else until you're done. Take it from someone who's been through high school and college, you don't want to be looking back after graduation thinking about all of the experiences that you could have had (most of which you're gonna find are very typical) if you'd just found a little more confidence in yourself and rose above years of social atrophy.

I was in your shoes around this time eight years ago. I remember making this thread.
>>
>>18639293
>people who barely have any idea what to expect and who they will be meeting
Not really. At least in medschool, there are a lot of groups in that have known each other since highschool. A lot of people have parents with tha same profession too, so they know what to expect.
>>18639321
>don't let social anxieties and phobias deprive you
this is really hard though, you make it sound easy
>locking yourself away from the outside world or intentionally inundating yourself with school work so as to hide away from everyone else until you're done
This is the main problem here, as far as my own experience goes. I completely shut myself away from others and am now facing the consequences.
>>
>>18639321
>this is really hard though, you make it sound easy

I get that. It wasn't easy for me. Didn't happen overnight. Even years after having graduated and moved on into the so-called "real world", I still deal with those fears every day. It's a constant battle but you've gotta want to win it.

Rome wasn't built in a day. The main point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't let your fears stop you from even trying. Don't be afraid to fail. Don't be afraid to have those occasional cringy moments- we all have them. It's okay to make mistakes talking to girls and dating. It's okay to be awkward around campus while you're getting used to things. It's totally fine to feel overwhelmed at times. Just, whatever you do, don't let a fear of failure convince you not to even try. Give yourself some time and some room to grow. Don't give up if you're not immediately successful. It may take some time for you to get comfortable around other people and that's totally okay. Just try to enjoy every moment, and for the love of god, don't get anybody pregnant, and always go to class.
>>
>>18640803
>don't get anybody pregnant
Not a retard.
>and always go to class
Fuck, I skipped like 90% of the classes the past semester and was hell. I proposed myself to go to every class this semester, but broke my foot and had to take 2 weeks out, which made me fail one class. Returning to classes tomorrow. I went deep in self-loathing this two weeks, couldn't get any study done whatsoever. I feel like a part of me wants to fail for some reason, I can't find the strength to live a normal life; if not on pressure I can't get anything done, like literally until the day before I procrastinate everything. Help.
>>
File: marlins fat.png (527KB, 633x555px) Image search: [Google]
marlins fat.png
527KB, 633x555px
>>18638083
Buy your local newspaper on a thursday and look for events going on in the weekend.

I am 25 and out of school but I am a member of my local young republicans group and my cities photography club. I just found these things advertised in the paper
>>
>>18639193
This is good advise in general. I was a shut in faggot /v/ guy from age 18-23 and I wish I had been more active instead of wasting time in dota or on 4chan
>>
File: 1501936307958.jpg (48KB, 553x640px) Image search: [Google]
1501936307958.jpg
48KB, 553x640px
I'm in a similar situation, I didn't get any friends on the first year of college so after 3 months I gave up and played vidya. Now the second year is starting and I'm feeling fresh and ready to play the game of social interaction. Protips and guides to making friends are appreciated.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.