[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My brother is 22 and 90% of his social circles apparently consist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

My brother is 22 and 90% of his social circles apparently consist of high school kids.

How do I keep his dumb ass out of trouble?
>>
He's one of *those* guys eh? Tell him to grow the fuck up and tell him he's creepy as fuck hanging around with a bunch of 16-17 year old kids because that's the truth.
>>
>>18631212

You don't. Kek
>>
>>18631221
>had a 19 year old and 21 year old in my circle of friends at 15
>Always just thought they were cool
>Still think they were
Why is it creepy exactly?

I'd only feel weird, at 23, hanging around kids that age because we wouldn't have much in common.
>>
Honestly nothing bad should come out of it unless he gets feelings for some jailbait. They'll probs just use him to get alcohol
>>
>>18631221
He's not smart.

>>18631253
I'm 90% sure that's the case.
>>
File: IMG_6745.gif (18KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6745.gif
18KB, 340x340px
It's funny. I hangout with people in their mid 20s and 30s. I'm 18 lmao. I go to a skullgirls local every month. It's fun as shit in Chicago.
>>
>>18631240
I'm 21 and I still have much the same interests as I did when I was 15. At that age my classmates and I discussed Game of thrones, much like older people do now. At 16-17 most people would have put their toys away long ago and started developing hobbies and interests similar to adults. They aren't kids. Also friends don't have to be identical to you, but simply have similar interests, which is why a 20 year old and a 40 year old can easily become friends despite the age gap. I don't see what a person's age has to do with it if they acted mature.

>>18631221
How is he creepy if he's not a danger to those 16-17 year olds? If you're talking about sex then the age of consent in most places is 15-16, so that's a non issue. And for alcohol, you don't know whether OP's brother is willing to buy it for them or not. By you stating that OP should tell his bro to "grow up", I assume you believe that maturity level is an issue. But as I stated above 16-17 is when most people start entering the adult world. They aren't kids now matter how many times you call them so.
>>
>>18631310
The age of consent here is 16, so it'd be legal. What I'm worrying about is the alcohol and cigarettes. My brother has always been an insecure pushover so there's a chance they're bossing him around.
>>
>>18631302
Where at fellow Chiraq anon, where at?
>>
>>18631212
I've always had younger and older friends, and lately I've found that there are few people my age I share interests with (my main hobby os studying languages, I'm 24 and most of the people I meet at language are in their 30's).

If your brother and his friends enjoy each other's company there's no reason for them not to hang out.
>>
File: 1479876128615-gif.gif (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479876128615-gif.gif
422KB, 640x480px
>>18632312
Elda Taluda's House with Kai Kennedy and friends.
>>
File: 1450673670569.png (440KB, 645x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1450673670569.png
440KB, 645x1260px
>>18631212
>20 years old
>A part of me wishes I could be that guy, but I was considered a kid by those kids when I was their age, and I actually fare worse now that I've been isolated for years
>>
>>18631240
It shows a lack of a functioning adult when they have to hang out with kids to find friends. 19 isn't weird, 21 is pushing it. by 22 all your friends should be 18+ with the exception of family members and close family friends.
>>
>>18632457
>It shows a lack of a functioning adult when they have to hang out with kids to find friends
What do you mean by functioning adult? And why should anyone give a shit if he isn't harming anyone?

>19 isn't weird, 21 is pushing it. by 22 all your friends should be 18+ with the exception of family members and close family friends
>should
Not everyone has to abide by how you believe people should live their lives. I get so fucking pissed when people misuse words like "creepy" to describe anything that they don't agree with, or that offends their sensibilities.
>>
>>18632457
That is his issue. He's a manchild hanging with actual children.
>>
>>18632457
>>18632671
Why is it that you retards can't understand that 16 is well past childhood? For fuck sake it's legal to fuck and marry those "children". Most of those "children" are starting to think about their future careers and get into hobbies they'll enjoy throughout their lives. Most of them have already formed the majority of their personalities that will only change through experience, the same way it's constantly changing for someone who's 30 years old.

Or do you think that Smoking and Drinking is the rite of passage that establishes adulthood? If so, then all your insults directed towards OP's brother would be all the more ironic.
>>
>>18631212
That's my brother too. He's older than me by 6 years and even hangs out with people younger than me.

He's 30 now too, and still hangs out with mostly 21-24 year olds.

My brother isn't dumb, but unmotivated. Never wanted to go to college. Barely gets by jumping between warehouse jobs.

Basically, my theory is that as he got older and most of his peers started getting their degrees, getting married, having kids, my brother started hanging out with younger and younger guys.

He's never preyed on young girls that I know of. He still dates girls within a reason couple of years difference. But all the guys he hangs out with are young. I think he's just really immature, but hanging around younger guys gives him some false sense of alpha-male and makes him feel wise to youngin's.

Overall, I think these situations are harmless. He won't get into trouble, but if he's like my brother he won't get anywhere either.
>>
>>18632720
Your brother's situation isn't even remotely similar. No one in this thread cares about age-gap friendships for people past +18.
>>
>>18632742
The thing I didn't mention was that my brother started hanging out with these same people when he was around 23 and they were 14-16
>>
>>18632764
Basically the future to come of OP's situation. He hung out with high school losers and is still mentally stunted for his age. Acts like he's 17-20. Still angsty. Still, "I can do whatever I want mom, gosh"
>>
>>18632764
So your bro can hold friendships that can last for years. How is that anything other than a positive?
>>
>>18632776
Source: Your ass.
>>
>>18632780
Because he's 30, still uses a skateboard. Never went to college, lives in grandma's house and just wants to party. His friends do the same shit.

You can claim he's living the life, but not for the people who have to take care of him, help pay off his debts, etc. He's a manchild. But a manchild with long lasting friends. As that clearly matters more... Totally want that life for everyone.
>>
>>18632791
The only thing he's doing wrong is his lack of independence.
>>
>>18632797
And my claim is this is influenced by hanging out with kids who also have a lack of independence. My brother can't handle being around successful people his age. He never could. Probably stems from self esteem issues or some shit.
>>
>>18632813
His friends are now 21-24 right? So most of them are probably independent yet he's still friends with them. Also I never mentioned anything about success, which is more subjective than independence. It just seems to me that supposedly successful people his age have diverged too much from his interests by getting married and having kids. It's less a matter of self esteem and more a matter of misaligned interests.
>>
>>18632830
They are all skater bums that live with their parents and are in between jobs. I get what you mean, but I guess one anon's immature, irresponsible, and manchild is another anon's "misaligned interests"
>>
>>18632835
Don't talk shit about the skater "bums". Most of my friend circle that skates are self-sufficient productive citizens that make great money, 10/10 SO. Just because your brothers friend group are pieces of shit doesn't mean we all are. Skating saved my fucking life as a teenager, got me out of trouble etc. For your brother your grandma or whoever is taking care of him is enabling his behavior by not making him do anything, he needs a kick in the ass per say to get him started on something productive with his life so he can be independent and self-sufficient.
>>
>>18632688
t. 16 year old
Yes they're more mature than 12 year olds but they're still retarded immature kids. There are parts of their brains that aren't even fully developed yet.
>>
>>18634465
>There are parts of their brains that aren't even fully developed yet
Such as?

>they're still retarded immature kids
Maybe you were when you were 16, but I distinctly remember my classmates hanging out with 18-21 year olds when i was 16, and them acting like adults rather than retards or kids.
>>
>>18634017
You are just such an unbearable fag. You actually sound worse and more annoying than the legitmate delinquents who skate. Go play tony hawk underground if it means that much to you, but keep your gay feelings to yourself forever and always Jesus christ
>>
>>18635584
They don't stop maturing at 16 dumbass. Looking back at myself when I was 16 and there is definitely a change in the way I think and process things as well as thinking about situations as a whole. You must be young yourself.
>>
>>18635709
>They don't stop maturing at 16 dumbass
Neither do people in their 20's and 30's. Of course there will most likely be a maturity difference between a 16 year old and a 30 year old, the same as with a 20 year old and a 40 year old, but that maturity difference is small enough at 16 that it isn't inconceivable that they might become genuine friends, without either of them being "mentally stunted", as was mentioned by another Anon in this thread.

>there is definitely a change in the way I think and process things as well as thinking about situations as a whole
This change depends more on the individual, their intelligence and past experience, rather than any specific age. A 140 Iq 16 year old may view the world in ways that a 90 Iq 30 year old can't.

>You must be young yourself
I'm 21, the same age as an acquaintance of mine was when I met him at 16. He was only a positive influence on me for the time I knew him, and I lament the fact that I didn't become closer to him.
>>
>>18635777
>Being 21 years old and making friends with kids

Pedophile alert
>>
>>18635815
You're just baiting at this point, I'll give you your (You) regardless.
>>
>>18635777
The only people over 20 that befriend highschool children are adults with developmental or self-esteem issues. No troll.
>>
>>18635849
this.
The other guy never stopped to think if he's immature, rather than the kids being mature.
>>
>>18635849
The acquaintance i mentioned was intelligent, hard working, sociable, well-liked, and spoke with confidence. So no, you're clearly wrong.

>>18635852
You're describing people acting in a way you don't like as immature.
>>
>>18635849
And also, in the United Kingdom, education isn't compulsory past 16. So there is no equivalent of highschool, where students are forced to be there as if they were 10 years old.
>>
>>18635852
The issue with the concept of maturity is that it's never clearly defined and labeled, and it's incredibly subjective from person to person.

I'm of the opinion that people never really grow-up and get old, but they're molded into different forms by the pressures of the world around them.

It's really something horrible, but that's life in the year 2017.
>>
>>18635881
That makes a bit more sense. High school seems to have a retarding effect on people. My first bf was a HS dropout, was 17 (I was 20) and he did act way more mature than other guys his age. He could be very childish at times, though.
>>
>>18635886
I completely agree. And I'm starting to think that people like >>18635815 and >>18632671 exaggerate the maturity differences between 16 year olds and older people partly to emphasise their own supposed degree of maturity.
>>
>>18635886
Certain thinking patterns do change with age.

Most teenagers don't know what they want and have very changing opinions and wants. Basically, they are emotional roller coasters.

They are also just starting to form their personalities and are more insecure, not to mention impressionable

Another universal trait seems to be they are not as respectful as adults as they have not yet learned to respect boundaries or other people's time.
>>
>>18635898
I think it boils down to them not having anything in common with people that age and finding it hard to understand why someone would want to hang out with them.
>>
>>18635906
>Teenagers are disrespectful

That's because of environment

I've seen so many people not know what they want and they're well past being teens, and opinions only whip to-and-fro due to a lack of development on said opinions, not mental development.

I don't understand why people say kids are impressionable.

This is probably from me not hanging around kids, but I think it's more about people being impressionable in general. It's not hard to convince others to see in one way.

I've met people that are 50 years old and emotional roller coasters, so I can't say with certainty that's not a personality trait (Neuroticism).
>>
>>18635913
I'm not saying only teens show those character traits. I'm saying they are way more prevalent among them.
>>
>>18635913
>>18635906
>Just starting to form personalities

More like starting to indulge their individuality and diverge from their families.

The hard-wiring for personality was always there.

I threw a rock into the back of my sister's skull for rejecting me from playing basketball, and I still hate being isolated to this day. Likes and dislikes formed a framework for the future. I re-call always being fearful of possibilities in this world, and I still am. It's certainly there by the time you're 8 years old.
>>
>>18635919
>It's more prevalent

It's more prevalent due to your geographic location in the world, not biologically speaking.

There was a child that was made to command a squad of soldiers in the middle east, and he was so good at it that he was assassinated.

As previously stated, thinking patterns are influenced primarily by environment and biology, not only one. Strategizing, foresight, and impulse control don't stop developing until a person is 25.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.