[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I recently found out I won't be able to go to college.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

So, I recently found out I won't be able to go to college. I'm going to leave my moms house and stay with my dad for a bit, but. I need advice on what to do once I get there.

>NEET until I can get into community college, take two years (or even one) then and transfer into a four year. I'll have to take the bus to get to the CC. And get a job, just to have some money and not feel like too much of a drain.

>Enlist in the military. Try to get into the airforce. Maybe use benefits to pay for school? I'm physically weak though, so I'd have to train for a month or. A few weeks.

>Suicide. I have a rope, and dad has plenty of painkillers for his back. This is a scary option, but if the first two don't work out due to my laziness, then I'll have to. I don't want to be a waste of space. I'm worried how mom will take it, but she seemed alright with my joining the military. So.

Thanks for reading.
>>
Why are you not able to go to college?
To me #1 sounds pretty reasonable to me actually. Just make sure to actually get a job. It's also a nice opportunity to pick up a hobby and develop some - more or less useful - skills.
>>
>>18628555
I can't afford it.
>>
>>18628570
Take loans goy. You want your educashun dontcha? :^)
>>
>>18628570
Don't attempt to take a loan unless it's something you really want to do and are passionate about. There's enough young people in debt for courses they're doing absolutely zilch with already.
>>
>>18628598
>>18628636
>>18628598
I can't get loans. I don't have any credit history, and my parents scores are too low for them to cosign.

Maybe I should get a trade certificate?
>>
Have you looked into trying a trade job? they pay better than anything else you can get right now, and if you like the work you can make a pretty good career out of it. I recommend hitting up your local fitters (most likely the UA if in the US) or electricians union for an apprenticeship program.
>>
>>18628668
I have, but everything looks so boring.
I don't have any interest in metalwork, plumbing, and I'm not good enough with math to become an electrician.
And all the jobs around here (I don't have a car to get anything too far) require 2+ years of experience.
>>
>>18628723
*too far away.
>>
>>18628723
If you're not smart enough to be an electrician don't bother going to college.

T. Journeyman Electrician (the math is fucking easy)
>>
>>18628744
Well what sort of math did you do?
How much do you make?
How large was your salary starting out?

Give me information.
>>
I'm saging this post so I don't needlessly bump the thread.

So far, nobody has supported the military idea. I understand bootcamp will be difficult, but if I'm aiming for the Air Force, plus I'll be getting all those benefits, it'll be worth it. Right?
>>
>>18628814
Personally I don't' support the military route because it's like college in the sense that it stunts your growth due to removing you from the "real" world and putting you in this huge bubble where most of what you do inside of it has no matter on the outside.

Even if you get benefits and pay or whatever once you leave you have a hard time adjusting since you're basically back at square one. At least that's how it was with my friends. Sure I didn't have the best job or whatever but I had left college and those shit service jobs behind me meanwhile they were barely starting to pick up where they would've been otherwise out of high school.

Always have your future in mind and try to continuously build it up cause time passes by very fast. Just my two cents.
>>
depending on the contract, only join the military if you feel set on it, a trade job or CC might be the better option.
again READ THE CONTRACT
>>18628814
I hear Navy and AF can get you some pretty good certs, I was at the Presidential Guard and there were plenty of guys getting technician training that is internationally certified. I think it's something to look into, but do keep in mind the disadvantages (boot camp, being military makes you an asset not an individual, court marshall, etc.)
>>18628836
it honestly is pretty distant from civvie society and has a vastly different work culture, but if you're adaptable it shouldn't be too tough
>>
>>18628547
If you're someone who thinks about suicide, you're probably a good candidate for selling your life to the military in exchange for financial security. Then again, if you're someone who thinks about suicide, you might not have the emotional fortitude to perform your duties.

As for the opportunity here, at home, it looks pretty good to me. You have an opportunity to go as far as a bachelor's degree, all while working part time and pocketing all the money since you don't owe your dad rent.

Sounds pretty good to me. If you're going to off yourself, give me your grant money and let me be your dad's new son. That sounds like a pretty sweet gig to bail on. That being said, I don't know why you're thinking about suicide. Did something bad happen to you? Have you been depressed for a long time now? What are you doing to fix it?
>>
yeah and I don't know about the options with trades. my friend says he used financial aid to pay for his training.
>>
>>18628814
If you do reserve or guard you get to stay in the real world while still getting some benefits, that way you can push towards college
>>
>>18628836
Thanks for the input.

>>18629016
>>18629065
Yeah, I'm only considering the Air Force for the automatic enrollment into their community college (?). I need to do more research, but if I'm remembering correctly, I can get my general education classes out of the way, and enter into any college their funds will support as a junior. Which sounds pretty damn good.

>>18629031
>I don't know why you're thinking about suicide
Shame and guilt.
I really, really should've studied and gotten a full ride / actual scholarships, instead I just, lazed around and refused to do anything but fuck off on the Internet, and thinking back on those four years just makes me feel like, I don't deserve to be here?
I don't know how to explain it any better without typing out paragraphs, but yeah. That's the gist.
>>
>>18629115
>I was lazy these past few years
that's a reason to start working now, not to kill yourself. it sounds like you have to kick your own ass into growing up, because maybe your parents aren't the type to make you do things.
>>
One last bump.
I need all the advice I can get.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.