[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been at my current office job for just over 3 years.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 0

I have been at my current office job for just over 3 years.

My salary started around 20k and is now at 31k, however I believe I could relatively easily move to a larger city and go to work for a larger firm for 45k-60k to start.

I have been thinking about this for the months leading up to my 3-year work anniversary, and am now within 3 weeks of pulling the trigger.

I am definitely telling my boss, however the question is how to tell him. I'm not sure if I should just shoot a casual email to my boss, talk to him at a morning meeting between the two of us, ask for a sit-down meeting (which will probably be granted immediately impromptu) or some other way.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
>>
Wait, what do you want to tell him?
>>
Have you found a new job yet? If not, keep your mouth shut until you do.
>>
>>18623059
No but i have a close relationship with my boss. I feel it would be a dick move to find another job and be like, hey by the way...

Oh yeah and how am I going to give people him as a reference, and then he finds out from them? Yeah, great idea.
>>
>>18623079
You're a fucking idiot. Firstly, you're jeopardising your current position by telling your boss you're looking for a new job. Secondly, they don't check your references a) without your permission and b) only just before offering you the job.
>>
Yeah don't tell your boss. I found people tend to change when you tell them you won't be around much longer. Find a job, give your 2 week notice, and keep working like you have been. Thats standard I believe.
>>
I suggest if your gonna make it a meeting, make sure you bring a lawyer
>>
>>18622789
No anon, use some common sense. Just apply outside your office (some companies can see what you look online) and interview in between. Once accepted, just go for it. Its normal to keep moving on in the current job industry.
>>
Your boss is your boss.

A lot of younger, "hip" bosses these days are friendly because they believe a more relaxed atmosphere helps them manage. At the end of their day, however, their loyalty is to their company and their business.

11k increase in 3 years is $3,667 a year. That's amazing but that's also not horrible as far as pay raises go if you started at $20k.

I mean let's get this out of the way right now - what the fuck are you doing that you think you are worth 50% more than what you're being paid? Plus, I should remind you that people are paid more in a big city largely because it also COSTS more to live there. Assuming that you manage to get $45k after moving to a big city, it will likely cost you $5k-6k more just to live there. So right there you're only seeing an effective increase of about $8,000-9,000. If you wanted to move because you just want to live somewhere else and try a different life, then that's a different story, but you can easily achieve the pay increase just by being productive and arguing to your boss that you are worth more than what you're currently being paid.... WITHOUT threatening to leave and talking about looking for other jobs.

It's one thing if you're in a high demand position (e.g. software engineering) and someone is scouting you and has a job offer with a 50% raise and a signing bonus ready for your signature, it's another thing for you to act pissy in a meeting with your boss saying that you want 50% more just 'cause you did some googling.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.