[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my gf is pretty sane. She holds no regressive political ideology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 4

So my gf is pretty sane. She holds no regressive political ideology but her friends do. Lately they have been posting retarded shit and I proceeded to comment and debunk their arguments, often with peer reviewed papers, past events and simple logic. They have been increasingly hostile towards me and my gf is stuck in the middle. She says that this is not putting stress on the relationship, but I think this could be a problem eventually due to the idological lunacy of a good part of her social circle. Although she does have other, more sane friends, their best friends are this crazy sjw that make no sense at all.

So, what should I do? I wont stop speaking my mind, but maybe there is a way for them to engage in rational debate and actually address the points presented? Just ignore them? I know it is unlikely, but I fear my gf either losing some friends or those friends talking shit and trying to brainwash her (she is pretty resistant to that imo, but Still is at the back of my head).
>>
>>18620812
I wouldn't worry much about her friends so much as what it is your girlfriend believes. Just talk to her about these things if the chance for that conversation ever pops up. Don't do it out of nowhere though, it'll make you seem as ridiculous as her friends.

In the end, are you dating her, or all her friends with ridiculous views? I understand she might be "influenced" by the shit they bring up but that's why you gotta keep a tight leash on her. Best of luck anon.
>>
>>18620820
Already talked about that since she saw my comments. She agrees with me, although she says I could probably be more gentle (although I never insult them or say something rude) and walk them through my explanations and the papers.

And what is "keeping a tight leash" in this context?
>>
>>18620827
Perhaps she must've misread your replies to her friend's post and seen your statements as a bit harsh? It happens all the time

and by that I really just meant: not letting her get brainwashed by whatever bullshit her friends try and cram down her throat, unless, you know, that's cool with you anon
>>
>>18620832
lol no
I know they try to, but often she tells me about it and we laugh.

Hopefully she is able to talk some sense into them, but I am not too hopeful. It is sad because we really do not have big social circles and I do not wish for her to feel she is losing her friends.
>>
File: 1496210670940.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1496210670940.png
29KB, 741x568px
>>18620827
People are often stupid and take an attack on their beliefs as an attack on who they are. You may have kept all comments to the argument itself but that doesn't mean they didn't interpret it otherwise.
>>
>>18620812
Unfollow them, there's no reason you have to read their bullshit
You'll never convince all(or any) of them
>>
>>18620812
Why is it so important to you not only to win every argument but to totally demolish your foes?

Your post says more about your obsessions than about any dangers her friends pose.
>>
>>18620964
I do not want to demolish them. I just argue against their ideas and dishonest methods of manipulation with the aim to convince people of their position.
I just argue for positions that are backed by stats and current scientific models of reality and against unnecesary restrictions on freedom. Nothing of what I say is meant to say abything about them as a person.
>>
>>18620880
Well said
>>
>>18620964
Back to this Anon's point.
Why is it so important to you to be right?
They are triggering a defensive reaction in you. You are defending something that is important to you.
But do you really need to do that?
Are they important enough to you?
Will their misguided wrong belief make any difference to the bigger world?

OP, just think about the big things in life.
What is really important to you?

tl;dr Pick your battles.
>>
>>18620827
Dont argue with pond scum anon. Your girlfriend is surprisingly good about this though, considering that most people hate having their politics disassembled and would probably complain to her, even if you do it in the calmest, most roundabout manner possible.
>>
>>18622353
I agree with the pick your battles thing, but her friend is thinking on participating in politics and there are plenty more that think lile her and actually have some power, whether in a institution or as a mob. I guess I should do something to grt my point across in a more massive way. Dunno. I guess I will just fucking on my math degree for now and just ignore the ideologues.

It can be hell though.
>>
>>18622500
Yeah, she is. I am mostly worried about our (although mostly her) social circle and close friends and those getting lost to this lunacy.
>>
>>18620812

I stopped engaging with social media idiots long ago once I realized that I was the only person capable of remaining reasonable and unemotional during debates.

You can't convince them, OP. These issues are emotional for them, not logical. As such engaging is a futile endeavor and will only result in [socially] strategically negative outcomes for you.

I recommend just ignoring them. For particularly constant posters, I hide them from my feed. That doesn't tip them off or constitute the modern serious matter of 'unfriending'; and I get to enjoy peace in not being confronted with stupidity.
>>
>>18620812
You sound like an incredibly pretentious, fedora-tipping, nu-male, fat, Atheist faggot. That's why they don't like you.
>>
>>18622640
So a bunch of insults? How is actually seeking to engage in rational debate pretentious? I am always open to the possibility of being wrong, but I also require sound arguments and evidence if I am going to change my position.
>>
>>18620812

the fact that petty assholes like you get relationships while people struggle for years with introversion trying to understand how to get INTO a relationship just... it doesn't seem fair to me

you sound spoiled
>>
>>18622653
How am I an asshole? Just because I soeak my mind? I am pretty respectful desu.

And if you are struggling, maybe you could try some self-improvement on whatever is holding you back.
>>
>>18622653
Don't sweat it, dude. She'll realize one day that OP is super beta and find someone else.
>>
>>18622658
>Just because I soeak my mind?

yes because you soak your mind and have no respect for her or her friends or probably anyone who disagrees with you.

How in the fuck did you trick her into dating you
>>
>>18622652
Because, you dense, autistic manchild, people don't post things on facebook to "engage in rational debate". That's not why facebook exists for most people, but instead of respecting their wishes to use facebook as a way to share things they like with their friends, you try to make it about what you want, which is pointless, over-confident online arguing that literally benefits no one, and you're too much of an idiot to even recognize it. Your behavior is not welcome. Facebook is not the place. If you don't like what they're posting, stay friends, but unfollow. If you can't stop being an austistic faggot, get off facebook.
>>
>>18622653
Oh and I am an introvert too, but not necessarily shy.

>>18622662
lol at finding some comfort on the potential future misery of someone you do not know...great thinking.

>>18622664
Speak*
I guess there is two kinds of people. Those that can extrapolate correctly from incomplete or corrupted data sets.

And again, I am respectful. All of you have been insulting me and I have kept myself pretty chill in my responses. If anything this says more about you, dont you think?
>>
>>18622675
>Oh and I am an introvert too, but not necessarily shy.

so you're a liar

>I guess there is two kinds of people. Those that can extrapolate correctly from incomplete or corrupted data sets.

You're just being a 2smart faggot, there are plenty of guys out there who do it way better so just stop wasting your time.

>And again, I am respectful.

Says the guy concerned with arguing politics with all her friends

I just want you to know, i personally dislike you and feel like you must have done some kind of black magic to get a girl to like this sort of bullshit behavior
>>
>>18622674
Their posts are not tame at all and say shit like "kill X", besides linking to articles that are full of flaws. Yet somehow I am the misfit for wanting to engage in a respectful dialogue? I doubt I am the one making a mistake here.
>>
>>18622685
>Their posts are not tame at all and say shit like "kill X", besides linking to articles that are full of flaws.

how again how did you get a girl with this kind of reddit outrage bullshit
>>
>>18622685
>Yet somehow I am the misfit for wanting to engage in a respectful dialogue?
If you weren't the misfit, would your behavior be causing interpersonal issues in your life? The results speak for themselves.

You are and always will be a misfit because you don't understand basic human social skills.

Also, I promise you that you aren't as right as you think you are. Your ignorance blinds you.
>>
>>18622683
If you think being shy and an introvert are mutually exclusive, then maybe you are using a non standard definition of introversion.

You do not have to like me nor I care if you do, but it seems there are some buttons that are being pushed on your side here.
>>
>>18622693

youre not even responding to what i'm saying, you're making up responses to shit in your head.

you're only looking for people who agree with you

again

HOW THE FUCK did you get a girl to like that kind of shit?
>>
>>18622697
Women like confidence. This guy is straight up arrogant. Maybe even a narcissist. Younger women can't tell the difference, but they learn eventually.
>>
>>18622701
>Women like confidence. This guy is straight up arrogant. Maybe even a narcissist. Younger women can't tell the difference, but they learn eventually.

So many of these types of dudes have wives/a family that you just can't say they grow out of it.

Why in the world do women like smart ass shitheads like OP? I can't figure it out
>>
>>18622692
I have never stated how right I believe I am. In fact I think all one can ever hope os to be less wrong and that rational dialogue can help us see each others blond spots.

And again, the results speak for themselves if they are the ones being aggressive and unreasonable?

>>18622697
Am I doing that? I mean, How can you read my motives like that when I have not even once said something that suggests I am seeking for people that agree with me. Do not just sling empty accusations lile that.

>>18622701
How am I arrogant or a narcissist? Care to explain?
>>
>>18622708
>Am I doing that? I mean, How can you read my motives like that when I have not even once said something that suggests I am seeking for people that agree with me. Do not just sling empty accusations lile that.

it just doesn't make sense to me, you should be on reddit with all the other virgins with this horse shit
>>
>>18622713
Well, if reality does not match your ideas about it, maybe it is time to reasses your perspective on this issue.
>>
>>18622717
>Well, if reality does not match your ideas about it, maybe it is time to reasses your perspective on this issue.

again with the 2smart faggotry,

keep being better than everyone else
>>
>>18622724
What? It was an honest suggestion. I am not trying to do any "2smart faggotry". It is what makes sense to do. If you disagree, feel free to express your point.
>>
>>18622729
>feel free to express your point.

I did, like others pointed out you're an athiest neckbeard faggot who thinks he knows everything and wants to prove his worth constantly.

How you got a girlfriend is beyond my comprehension unless she's a blow up doll
>>
OP I think anon just wants you to be his girlfriend, he's giving you all the subtle signals
>>
>>18622736

i think you're OP
>>
>>18622732
How am I an atheist neckbeard? I am aware of the stereotype, but I just do not fit into it at all beyond agnostic atheism (or weak belief in a really specific definition of god). I am fit, respectful, not that socially incompetent and have a healthy relationship with my family and gf. So I really do not understand why are you trying to punt me inside that box.

>>18622736
What?

>>18622741
Lol no
>>
>>18622745
>Lol no

I'm not convinced

>I am fit, respectful, not that socially incompetent and have a healthy relationship with my family and gf. So I really do not understand why are you trying to punt me inside that box.

Ulgh here it comes.

I say go for it, argue with everyone, prove your worth.
>>
File: IMG_2687.jpg (176KB, 750x1160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2687.jpg
176KB, 750x1160px
>>18622741
>>18622745
>>
>>18622750

lol
>>
>>18620827
>she says I could probably be more gentle (although I never insult them or say something rude)
Here is your main issue, anon. You think that being aggressive, offputting, and disrespectful starts and stops at being directly insulting. There is a lot more nuance to the human language. There are times where it is inappropriate to speak your mind at all. This is called tact. You are being tactless. Tactlessness can very easily slide into disrespect.
These are not your friends, they are your girlfriend's friends. Which means that any interaction you have with them is by way of association with your girlfriend. Anything that you do is a reflection on your girlfriend. As social order dictates, in their eyes, she is "letting" you speak to them this way. If you continue doing this, it could strain her relationship with her friends. Which could then in turn strain her relationship with you. Of course she's not going to tell you this. She might not even realize her friends' growing resentment towards her.

If these were your own friends, or even your friends' friends, or even some rando, I would still disapprove but I would care less about your argumentative behavior. Because they are your girlfriends' friends, you are endangering your own relationship. Stop. Your political goals shouldn't get in the way of your relationship. If they do, you need to either reconsider your political goals or reconsider your relationship.
>>
>>18622758
>Tactlessness can very easily slide into disrespect.

but he just said he WAS respectful so I don't know if that is possible
>>
>>18622758
But my girfriend's friends were my friends too before my gf was my gf, although they are closer to her, obviously. The worldview shift was on their part mostly.

And thank you for actually talking about a new point (tact). I think I might be lacking there, but maybe it is because in my family and among the rest of my friends we do not care that much if we are found out to be wrong in a discussion, even if it can feel a little annoying. So what would be your advice when it comes to rhetorical strategy?
>>
>>18622760
Just because he thinks it was respectful doesn't mean that it actually was respectful. There isn't actually a respectful way to argue with your girlfriends' friends in a public medium.
>>
>>18622773
Why? This is what I do not get. Her posts are public and welcomes people that think like her. If it is public and a level of tact and respect is mantained, why is it such a problem to interact with people thT do not agree with you?
>>
>>18622771
>we do not care that much if we are found out to be wrong in a discussion

i call complete and utter bullshit but it's the internet and i am mickey mouse
>>
>>18622783
This >>18622674 makes a good point
The point of posting things on fb for some people is to get a validation through likes, it's not about having a discussion or even what they say being true
>>
>>18622793
I mean, we kinda learned to do that because we ask for sources and then analyze the paper to see if it actually supports the claims being made and then we just start talking about a random topic in which we repeated this same process. This tend to happen in social gatherings, when we are eating and even when resting between sets (discussion get more heated there though, but it ends up being fine after we finish the workout).

This was different at the start and when I was younger ofc.
>>
>>18622802

watch him completely ignore all of this once again and seek out comments that reaffirm his behavior

its almost like fb completely changed the way people think
>>
>>18622802
That does not sound healthy at all. It seems to promote echo chambers, an obsession with external validation and in general a kinda "fake" environment.
>>
>>18622814

which is exactly what you're turning this thread into, ironically
>>
>>18622813
I am not ignoring it. I never did. I answered. Just because you do not agree with me it does not mean i have done as you say.
>>
>>18622814
You're fucking with me right?
>>
>>18622820

Where did you answer?
>>
>>18622817
How so? A lot of the replies are outright insulting me. Some agreed and others pointed out a different perspective from mine. How is this turning itself into an echo chamber exactly?
>>
>>18622823
Here
>>18622771
>>
>>18622771
>I think I might be lacking there, but maybe it is because in my family and among the rest of my friends we do not care that much if we are found out to be wrong in a discussion, even if it can feel a little annoying.
People definitely vary with their tolerance. I'll still stress context. It could be fine for a friend to tell his friend, "Dude, you can't wear those pants. They are so tight that you can see your dick veins." It would not be appropriate to tell a stranger on the street the same thing.

>But my girfriend's friends were my friends too before my gf was my gf, although they are closer to her, obviously.
They are still primarily her friends. That actually even makes it more awkward. If they only knew you through your girlfriend, then it would be easy for them to cut you out of their life. Now they have to be polite for the sake of your girlfriend. It would be harder for them to cut ties and pretend they don't know you, because you already have a basis of familiarity.

>So what would be your advice when it comes to rhetorical strategy?
Mostly, you need to let it go. If you struggle with tact, you really shouldn't jump into higher level stuff like this. When you see these things, you should internally groan, pity them, complain to your girlfriend, and then keep scrolling.
Consider this: convincing people is more than just facts. If you make someone defensive, there is nothing you can say to make them change their mind. You have already made them defensive, so you can't really come back from this. You aren't going to succeed in changing their world views. Your resistance could actually make them more solidified in their views.
>>
>>18622824
>A lot of the replies are outright insulting me

>Goes on a tirade about how others should put up with your insults

>Gets offended when he gets insulted

I'm starting to think this is about something else entirely
>>
>>18620812
>everyone is mad at me for speaking my mind
>I won't stop speaking my mind

troll 4chan then

>55 replies later
>>18622824
>me
>me
>me

It doesn't matter how good your politics are. You're full of yourself. The only aspect of this I would agree with you on is that her friends sound kind of shitty, but most people are shitty, so you should shut the fuck up and be more sensitive to your girlfriend instead of being have such a big ego.

It's really ironic you chose that pic for your OP, when your ego is obviously not in check.

Note: I didn't read any of the replies, so my reply is just in reply to the original post.
>>
>>18622853
I have never said anything about how others should put up with my insults. I advice you to read my comments again.

>>18622848
Thanks for the advice. How do you define higher level? Do you do it on the complexity of the issue itself or you mean regarding the social implications?

Also the tight pants comparison is different to this situation since they are not strangers and I am not saying anything that implies something about themselves as individuals, but rather about the ideas themselves. Smart and well intentioned people can hold terrible ideas. Although I understood the point regarding context and its relationship to tact.

And do you have any additional advice? Is there a way to present them facts and flaws in some lines of reasoning (devoid of opinion to the greatest extent possible) without them feeling personally attacked?
>>
>>18622814
Yes. That is the societal norm. Challenging the societal norm can cause detriments in your social life. You need to prioritize which is more important to you.
If you really wanted to change how they thought, you could message them privately. Tell them that you're concerned for them because they seem to be believing in something that may not be true. It's not appropriate to do it publicly.
>>
>>18622865
There was a reason for me picking that pic. And I agree with you on me having to be more sensitive. Although my gf told me it is fine and that she will let me know if something could put undue stress on the relationship or our social lives. We do have pretty solod communication.
>>
>>18622876
I have. It tends to go better that way, but then they are back at the same pattern with the same mistakes, probably due to their social environment or something they read.
>>
>>18622885
I don't think you're hearing me. Nobody wants you to sperg politics at them in order to feel superior. It doesn't matter whether you're talking to someone who is a little bit mistaken about something, or if you're talking to a complete bigot retard - promoting your own political ideology to stroke your ego is never good. If anything, the more they "deserve it," making your correcitng them supposedly "called for," the more friction there is going to be as a result.

>but I just can't stand it if they're expressing x ridiculous view around me
Then don't associate with them.
>>
>>18622653
lol what? Are you retarded? I'm introverted and I had to figure it out on my own but I can't see why anyone would be pissed off just because someone else was better at something than they are.

You just sound like a whiny little bitch which is why you probably have trouble with women.
>>
>>18622873
>How do you define higher level? Do you do it on the complexity of the issue itself or you mean regarding the social implications?
More regarding your experience level. You are attacking deathclaws when you only have experience with mole rats. You need more practice if you still believe that honesty and facts are the only things you need to keep the peace.

>Is there a way to present them facts and flaws in some lines of reasoning (devoid of opinion to the greatest extent possible) without them feeling personally attacked?

In a vacuum, yes. For you, I doubt it. Because you have already established a dynamic with these people, they are going to feel defensive the moment that they see your name. It's nearly impossible to separate any biased opinion and even harder to separate their personal attachment to the issue at hand.

For the future, asking clarifying questions can poke holes in someone's argument. The trick for this technique is to give off the impression that you are on the same side as they are, and are curious and wanting to be educated. You can disarm them by elevating them to the position of mentor. When they say something incorrect, you would look confused and concerned and ask, "But wait, how can XYZ be true when ABC is true?" It has the benefit of implying that you are willing to see holes in your own logic. If you show your own vulnerability, they will be more willing to show their vulnerability. You have to make an environment where they think that you just want whats best for the both of you.

You will not be able to employ this tactic with them, because you have already established your hierarchy. They have the impression that you just want to be right- that you don't really care about what's best for them. Asking questions and attempting to elevate them to educator will look sarcastic coming from you. It might make them even more offended than they would be otherwise.

Communication is all about expectations.
>>
>>18622894
Why do you think I am doing it in order to feel superior instead of me actually wanting to engage with different ideas for mutual improvement?

Your solution seems to be the exact same kind of mentality that leads to exho chambers. You could have made the case of "if you see they are not responding properly, give them time for them to think about and desl with your previous interaction" or something. How do you reconcile a diverse and free exchange of ideas with that atittude?
>>
>>18622926
Thanks for the great advice. I do mostly ask questions and then offer evidence. The questions obviously inevitably prop up the point I try to make. So maybe being more subtle could benefit the exchange of ideas. Although being subtle around this topics is hard, specially if you do not know how thy will interpret it.
>>
>>18622946
>and then offer evidence.
Offering evidence makes sense to prove a statement as fact, yes. But in doing so, you're elevating the discussion from a friendly conversation into a debate. Providing it also diminishes your vulnerability. It makes you seem more headstrong to your point. Which you may be, but you don't want them to think that. If you want them to change their mind, you must seem like you're ready to change your mind. I would suggest providing evidence only when a point is directly challenged as untrue. And don't make it seem like you already had it ready, try and imply that you found it just then.

>Although being subtle around this topics is hard, specially if you do not know how thy will interpret it.
Yes. I agree. It's a skill to learn how people will interpret your words. I honestly don't believe that you've developed this skill enough. I would really really really caution you in practicing these skills on your girlfriend's friends. Practice on strangers from the internet. Go to /r/changemyview or something. You're endangering your relationship. It isn't worth it.
>>
>>18622929
>why do you think that I am doing it in order to feel superior
my intuition says this is an 'ego' issue, a case of someone trying to be superior regardless of the purpose or the consequences

>engage with different ideas for mutual improvement
even here. I would only accept this kind of posturing from someone if they were a.) a lobbyist, b.) a politician, or c.) an advanced political science major. from pretty much anyone else it is bullshit narcissism.

>your solution seems to be the exact same kind of mentality that leads to echo chambers
if you deeply give a shit about furthering the processes that convert people politically, you'd become politically active, instead of doing this pointless shit where everyone at the diner table bunches up into teams and bickers with each other.

you want to talk about echo chambers because it's a buzzword, and you think it's why your side of the RED VERSUS BLUE BATTLE lost.

It's this kind of blind, egotistical and stupid contention that led to trumpulump and hilldog being the primary candidates. if people weren't stupid, that election would have been between ted cruz and bernie sanders (some fuckers who read books at least), but people just want to watch Fox and Stephen Colbert and act like it's the superbowl.

Anyway yes, my solution is to behave intelligently and socially normally. Start trying to have a real political impact instead of just spergging at people in your personal life like some neo nazi or antifa delusional larper.

>you could have made the case of...how do you reconcile a diverse and free exchange....
These are just your girlfriends snob friends, who may be a pack of fucking thots, right? And you're her superior-acting boyfriend from the left wing. Get some fucking perspective.

Do you want people's advice or are you here just to debate? I don't actually give a shit what you do. Keep being obnoxious around your girlfriend's friends if you want. See if that's going to help your relationship.
>>
>>18622946

you're just trying to prove your worth as a man to her friends, anyone who encourages you should be ashamed
>>
>>18623016
>>18623016
>>18623016
>>18623016
>>18623016
>>
>>18622992
I'm going to defend OP here a moment. He isn't an asshole, he's just socially incompetent. He has been taught that debate is normal, and is applying his expectation of that normalcy to all of his interactions. Based off of his reactions here, he's rather level headed when faced with conflicting views. An egotistical asshole would double down when accosted, but he seems genuinely confused about the reactions he's getting.

>my solution is to behave intelligently and socially normally.
His problem is that he doesn't know what is normal. That's why he isn't agreeing with the advice given. There are assumptions being made about OP's social skill level. In fact, this is a great indicator of part of his issue. In day to day life, most folk will follow through with a request without yet understanding why it was requested. They think that the reasoning might come up later, or that there is more unknown information that led to the request. They'll shrug and not worry too much, as long as the request wasn't too unreasonable. I'll guess that OP is one of the types that has to know exactly why he needs to do something, why the things are the way they are, before he can be satisfied. It is really really hard to let go of this need. It can seem egotistical and self-centered, but it spawns from curiosity and sometimes anxiety.
Think of the child who says, "Why? Why? Why?" over and over. The kid doesn't understand that he's annoying his parents with the constant questions. OP is similarly innocent.
>>
>>18623033
I suffer from the same kind of problems. I was only able to solve it by reducing the size of my ego and literally unfriending people who were regressive.

It's not about innocence or guilt. If the world is not going to change around OP, then he needs to change, and I don't see this situation with some bitches as one worth getting worked up about, especially not at the risk of doing any amount of damage to his relationship.
>>
>>18623033
>>18623041
I still struggle, every day, with the fact that people are disappointing and don't know the reasons behind what they do. I'm just recommending that OP stops trying to fix the world by incessantly questioning it. Study psychology, OP, if you really want to know why people are so delusional.
>>
>>18623044
>>18623041
>>18623033
And then witness the bizarre amount of delusions within the field of psychology itself. Again, refer back to the picture in your OP.
>>
>>18622992
I am interested in politics. I do not see how being a,b or c is required.

I do not want to convert anyone politically and I am not using echo chamber because it is a buzzword, but rather because it properly describes what I am trying to convey. What I want is improvement/development of ideas through rational dialogue. Besides it is interesting to readm think and talk about it.
I agree with your point of "trying to have a real political impact". I will try to do it in a way it does not clash with other goals in my life.

Also about the "get some fucking perspective" part, I think that could easily be used to understimate them and I do think they are perfectly capable of understanding what I am saying.

>>18623016
>>18623022
I would still (and actually do) engage with people in an anonymous way regarding these topics. If it was about worth, I would adopt the currently dominant social strategy for that, dont you think?

>>18623033
I do have an anxiety disorder. Was on antipsychotics for a month and then swtiched to an SSRI and clonazepam. Now I am not taking those meds but have changed my diet and supplement myself (with some research chemicals) and so far they are doing a better job than aforementioned SSRI and clonazepam. And yes, what you mentioned does describe me.

>>18623041
I see the point that has been made in this thread regarding it being worth it or not. I just want to know what are my options beyond ignoring it or distancing myself from them.
>>
>>18623051
>I think you're underestimating them. They can understand what I'm saying.
The problem goes further than that. Even if they do understand what you're saying, will they accept it, and will they resent you for it? This is stuff your guardians should have taught you, man.

>getting some perspective
I know I'm being vague here, but I'm trying to get you to think about it from my point of view.

Let's say that politically converting people to your side is like pulling them out of a burning car wreck. Instead of joining the rescue squad (getting actually involved in politics), you're sitting on the side of the road in a lawn chair with a plastic grabber toy (getting involved in arguments with your girlfriend's friends).

You don't see how pointless, ineffectual in the grand scheme, and not your department all of this political debate is? You can become a bigger and better person, but you're never going to become an ubermensch who just politically converts all those who oppose him simply with his presence.

>I want to know what my options are
to politically convert your girlfriend's friends? It's absolutely unbelievable that you don't see the issue here.
>>
>>18623051
>I just want to know what are my options beyond ignoring it or distancing myself from them.
Debate strategies are kind of hard to lay out beyond what was already said. I would happily edit a specific rebuttal for you, picking out your implications and connotations, but I don't know what to tell you for going forward. I suggest ignoring them and practicing on other sensitive people who don't jeopardize important things in your life.

>What I want is improvement/development of ideas through rational dialogue. Besides it is interesting to readm think and talk about it.
You are enjoying this. They are not. That is a big issue with this, OP.

If you're going to practice anything, I'd suggest practicing not engaging. Fight the anxiety that your uninvolvement gives you. You need to learn how to let things slide. This is a great environment to practice this skill, because you don't need to hold back your facial expressions and body language. You just need to not post. You will need to know how to do this, OP. You're going to need to know how to do this in face to face conversations too. You will alienate important opportunities if you don't learn how to control yourself.
>>
>>18620812
you're a douche, leave them alone
>>
>>18623071
I can let things slide, but I think it is also important to udnerstand the line between that and hypocrisy.

>>18623064
Converting them is not my goal, as I said. But I agree. Maybe this is just time consuming, creates friction, they wont really listen and keeps me away of engaging in a more significant way (that could be from participating in college politics, creating content and whatnot). In fact I have some family involved in politics. Maybe I should ask them for advice when it comes to this.
>>
File: 1450924870424.gif (1MB, 224x178px) Image search: [Google]
1450924870424.gif
1MB, 224x178px
>>18620812

Whenever someone starts out a conversation by immediately exalting themselves as the one reasonable person in a sea of irrational fanatics I, by experience, assume they're a bit of a pretentious twat. You did a very quick job of illustrating this universe in which the only reason people don't agree with you is because they aren't smart enough. On top of that, its not enough that you get along with your girlfriend, its also important that you berate and debunk her friends; as if you can't rest until everyone in your immediate and auxiliary social bubble agrees with you. The presence of opposing ideals seems like a source of compulsion with you.

You also have this neat little gas lighting technique where you start a conversation off by calling people regressive and lunatics and very subtly and articulately insult them but then as soon as someone calls you an asshole you give your little pretentious guffaw, dismiss them for stooping to insults and fold back into the calm and reasonable intellectual who is above name calling. You have that kind of air about you that enables you to underhandedly insult people then use their anger as justification for dismissing them as competent debaters. Classic gas-lighting. That shit may work on the blunt skulls but I see right through it, OP. I've known many a dude like you.

Whenever you refer to people who you disagree with as regressive and irrational you're never going to find common ground on anything. You don't sound like someone who genuinely cares about objectivity and "simple logic", you sound like someone whose sense of self is derived from the compulsive need to be correct even if its a situation when its pointless.
>>
>>18623132
>I can let things slide, but I think it is also important to udnerstand the line between that and hypocrisy.
You have to be able to let their hypocrisy slide too. You have to be able to let them say any sort of inane thing and let them slide. It is a part of surviving socially. You have to, OP.
>>
>>18623132
I have a family member involved in politics, and they talk about it too much. We agree with all of their stances, but it makes us uncomfortable, because she's mainly focused on beating Red Team, and she can be very negative in what she says about the state of the world.

I would say stop clinging to the idea of fighting with people. Getting actually involved in politics could be good for you, and for the world. Then, *get it all out of your system when it comes to personal affairs*. All. Out. Of. Your. System.
>>
>>18623139
I am not labeling anything. You can question my motives all day, as some have been doing in this thread, but at the end of the day aren't you trying to present yourself as some reasonable authority by taking this armchair psychologist persona that apparently knows more of my personality than myself? See what I did there? I do not care if they disagree with me. I care about rational dialogue, improvement of ideas and intellectually honest engagement. That is all when it comes to debating. If at the end we do not agree, but at least an honest attempt was made, I will live happily with that.

Also the main point was not the debate itself, but rather the social impact of it.

>>18623146
Ok, I will try. Your advice has been very useful.

>>18623163
I think this would definitely help. Thanks.
>>
>>18623178
>Ok, I will try. Your advice has been very useful.
I'm really proud of you, OP! Social interaction and psychology in general is very qualitative, so I understand your hesitation when the only thing we have are personal anecdotes. You have a good head on your shoulders. I have faith that you can figure this out. Keep your mind open, and try blind trust every once in a while.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.