[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriend of 3 years wants me to move into a new apartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1838.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1838.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My girlfriend of 3 years wants me to move into a new apartment with her next spring.

I'm 22 and she's 20, and we both currently live with our parents. The thing is, I like living at home. I like helping out my family and being close to them. It's mutually beneficial relationship between me and my family. My family shares a large house and I have my own portion of the house with a kitchen all to myself. I've invited my gf to live with me on this floor of the house but she says she won't feel comfortable living with my family.

I have a good income (over $100,000 USD / year) and my gf will likely be making around that much in a few years, so it's not necessarily a financial issue. But I don't feel like spending my hard earned money on a smaller place to live that is also further from my family.

Am I just being a giant bitch baby that needs to grow up and move out or is my reasoning justified?
>>
It's okay to live with your family if the situation demands, but this is simply a case of this woman wanting to have a life with you. It's completely understandable to not want to share 24/7 if not necessary.

If you love her, move in with her. Stay near your family if you want to, but move out. You make far more than most people, enjoy the freedom that provides and make a life with this woman.
>>
>>18620404
If you make that much money, you are well within your means to buy a house. I'm not saying buy a house with your girlfriend, but for fuck's sake, stop wasting your time. You are earning NOTHING while living your parents. A home is equity. It is your investment, your wealth. Buy your own property and start acting like a professional adult.
>>
>>18620404
Dont know man , im in a similar situation.
Try to think reasonable and consider downsides and upsides and think of an alternative.
>>
Being close to your family is all well and good, but you're going to have to grow up and move out sooner or later. Why not in 9 months' time?
>>
>>18620411
Maybe he's not an American. Family not living together is mostly a US thing.
>>
>>18620428
Not that anon, but most people here are assumed to be from the US until proven otherwise. Even they're not, the majority of 4chan users are from the Western world that share similar values to the US so chances are that he 'should' move out

And even if he/his country do value living together, that anon does have a point. OP's money is just sitting there.
>>
>>18620404
Can you two meet half way? Maybe get a slightly bigger place like a 2 bed, 2 bath closer to your family? That way you aren't completely sacrificing either space or your family, but you still get to live with your girlfriend? I mean, if you're not sure about the commitment then don't do it and enjoy things casually.
>>
>>18620434
>And even if he/his country do value living together, that anon does have a point. OP's money is just sitting there.
If he's making that much money he's probably not stupid. Until he says otherwise I'd expect him to have both a 401k and a pretty decent portfolio of stable investments. ESPECIALLY living with ones parents, who also seem to be quite wealthy and would not be shy about sharing their experience in this.
t. from a wealthy family
>>
>>18620404
I think wanting to stay with your family despite being financially self-sufficient is very touching, though the idea is a bit antiquated. Historically, families did indeed stick together this way, depending on the culture. You would see it typically more in family units based in Asia in than Western European and American families. Family tightness is still a big thing among Asian families.

OP, I suppose the sensibility of your girlfriend's aversion to living in the same space as your family depends on the culture of your area. I live in the United States myself. While I feel it is strong to keep your family unit consolidated in this way, I personally prefer some distance from my relatives. I don't dislike them, but my preference for distance may come from the family unit expectations I grew up with in the US.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.