[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will college be weird? I'm going to be 22 when I start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: macintosh-plus-floral-shoppe.jpg (122KB, 896x896px) Image search: [Google]
macintosh-plus-floral-shoppe.jpg
122KB, 896x896px
Will college be weird?

I'm going to be 22 when I start college at LSU. I've spent the last 4 years making sure I can pay for college without student loans. Part of me feels like I'm too damn old for the college life. Most incoming freshmen are 17/18 and I'm 4 years older than that.

I feel like it's gonna make me be the creepy old guy who no one talks to.

I already live in Baton Rouge, have a bungaloo and make 65k a year. I'm not the same as someone who has never been away from their parents before.
>>
>>18617715
>"I make more than the national median wage"
>"I should go to college!"
Why?
>>
>>18617715
Look around you when you get to the campus. You will see LOTS of people even older than you. College isn't just for 18 year olds any more. I don't know the statistics for LSU, but based on other state universities I know about, I'd bet that at least 25% of undergrads are your age or older,and have stories similar to yours.

The one thing you're right about is that you may not fit immediately into student social life, but that will be more a matter of your living off-campus than your age.

The school may have special clubs, social events, even a separate dean for "older" students. And many of them, having day jobs, will be taking evening classes. Check out the snack bar at dinner time.
>>
>>18617734
>Golly gee I have 45K saved up and free tuition better not use it

Why make 65k when I could make 165k?

>>18617743
Living on campus seems like a terrible thing. It was one of the reasons I didn't go right out of high school.

One of my FWBs says I'll liked because I can buy booze and have my own place and car, something most college kids don't have.
>>
>>18617715
Lsu is so fucking expensive per semester fuck
>>
>>18617807
What do you plan on going for that will land you a job that is so high paying? Right now your experience is equal to or superior to a degree in the eyes of most employers.
>>
>>18617968
this , most employers will hire burger boy with 2 years experience over your 4 year degree
feels bad man
>>
>>18617715
you think you're the only one? besides 4 years isn't a big age gap man.
>>
>>18617715

You'll be fine.
I'm a college professor and the majority of my students are older than 22. Appearance-wise, there is not a lot of difference between 19 and 22. Of course, you have significantly more life experience than they do. Just don't fall into the trap of being the go-to guy every time they need someone to buy them booze. Should things go awry, you'll be the one in trouble, the one kicked out of school, the one arrested.

When it comes to dating, you'll be the one with money--the girls will be all over you.

Have fun--but remember why you're there.
>>
>>18617715
I wouldn't go if I already make 65k a year. I would actually look into what I would like to do in college in my free time and then apply to the jobs for that area for fun because I'm already secured with 65k a year.
>>
>>18618603
65K isn't even that much.

I want to fuck young sluts, party and get a degree. Not be a wage cuck who takes night classes and does gay shit.

Besides I have no friends in this town and need to make some.,
>>
File: consume2.jpg (96KB, 570x381px) Image search: [Google]
consume2.jpg
96KB, 570x381px
>>18617734
>this guy believes it's all about the money

I'd rather earn barely for a living but be an expert in some field and a highly admired person than earn a lot of money but not do anything or know anything

Even worse, be a fucking average donothin that earns the average donothin paycheck. Don't get me wrong, the society needs street cleaners and burger flippers but if you have the chance to do something more than don't fucking waste it
>>
>>18618706
When you make 30,000$ a year
65k is a Lot faggot
>>
Nah it won't be weird. I knew people in their late 20s early 30s just finding out what they wanted to do in life. As many anons have said, college is not just for kids anymore. Thought the kids going now are considering it 13-16th grade, an extension of highschool. Sad.

What will be weird is the 18-20 year olds in your classes befriending you to buy them alcohol.
>>
Yes it will be weird but not because of your age. College is full of weirdos, mainly the libtards teaching who think they know everything but never spent a day working in the real world. Go get your degree and listen to nothing they tell you about life, the world, etc. you'll meet a lot of screwoffs going off the backs of their parents or the government as well. You'll be a minority who has worked and is paying. Try to have fun and don't get arrested.
>>
>>18618891
65k is a lot to someone? Wow. I make 125 and think it's too little.
>>
>>18617715
oh mate i'm just like you, 22, second year
even if you wouldn't get well with your classmates, don't forget that there is still people around your age
you'll be good
>>
>>18618860

>expert in some field
>expecting to actually use your degree out of college these days
>wanting to go 30k+ in debt to have a fancy piece of paper no one cares about
>since getting most jobs is about networking instead of actual skill or credentials

I'm all for people wanting to learn things, but with the trend over the last decade of people struggling to do anything with their college educations beyond burger flipping and manager positions in other stores it seems kind of pointless to go to college anymore.
>>
>>18618910
We don't all make hundreds of thousand per year, generally after taxes being a cop means gettimg cucked
>>
>>18617715
>the creepy old guy who no one talks to.
I don't understand this. Why would you being older make you creepy?

I had a 21 year old foreign classmate in my sixth form college (majority of students are 16-18), and his social life among students wasn't affected by his age.
>>
>>18617715

I was in the same situation you were OP. I was 22 when I went back to college and I'm 24 now. It's honestly been great.

You're not that old OP. You'll probably end up meeting other students around your age and some even older, college is a diverse place.

Just have fun. No need to get hung up about age. Hit on college chicks and have a good time. You'll love it
>>
>>18617715

Hang out with upperclassmen and grad students.
>>
>>18618913
>go to embry riddle aeronautical university without any grants or scholarships
>spend $45,636 per year plus $1,564 per year in "mandatory fees" plus $60,000 extra for their flight program even when I'm only going for a Human Factors Psychology bachelors degree
>:^)
>>
>>18617715
Waiting on college is the way to go. You have experience living alone, you have experience in the workforce, and you know exactly what you want, unlike a 18 year old that can't decide on a major. If you get yourself out there on campus rather than just sit in your bungalow all day, people will like you for having money, a house, and being over 21.

As for the age thing, think of military members. They get free college but have to go later.
>>
>>18619217
>go to highest rated computer science florida state university instead
>spend $35,000 for a bachelors degree over 4 years
>$20,000 is covered by the pell grant over 4 years
>$15,000 left in scholarships and other grants
>:^)
>>
>>18617715
>scrape through college at a good school, and get a comp sci degree
>find a great laid back job using my degree working on something that will help people
>only making 60k and paying off debts

What the fuck OP forget college just start investing your money.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.