[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A few hours ago I arrived home and found that one of my roommates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 13825273747772.jpg (66KB, 513x465px) Image search: [Google]
13825273747772.jpg
66KB, 513x465px
A few hours ago I arrived home and found that one of my roommates had slid this really aggressive note under my door, accusing me of making the mess in the apartment (and to be fair it is messy, although none of it is mine) and telling me to "stop living like a pig."

The problem is I have 5 roommates and the note is anonymous, so I don't know which one of them left it. And since I just moved into this place and I mostly keep to myself I'm not close enough with any of my roommates to ask them for advice.

And desu I kinda share the note-writers frustration, because the apartment is a horrible mess (although that doesn't justify their hostile tone).

So I was thinking of trying to take the high road, and maybe posting my own (polite and non-passive-aggressive) on the fridge or somewhere acknowledging the original note, and acknowledging the fact that the apartment is messy and we should all work to keep it clean, and telling the note writer to talk to me in person if they have any further concerns. I was also planning on cleaning up some of the mess just as a gesture of good faith, because desu I don't think that pointing fingers and trying to find the culprit is going to solve the problem.

Does that sound like a reasonable thing to do? I thought about ignoring the note, but I'm also frustrated about the mess and think something should be done about it, and I really like the original note writer to come and talk to me face to face. Also I'm wondering if my other roommates got a similar note from the same person, and I don't want them to suspect me of leaving them anonymous, aggressive notes.

I also don't know if I should try to defend myself and point out that it's not my mess. Even though I've always cleaned up after myself, I have a feeling that if I try to point out that it's not my mess that I will come off as self-serving. But at the same time I really don't like having something blamed on me -- especially in such an aggressive tone -- which is not my fault.
>>
Hold a meeting, I couldn't respect the wishes of a passive aggressive post-it notes as much as a person. If you personally feel awkward doing it then cite the original post-it as the reason for holding it, then bring up the issues.
>>
>>18614528
It seems to me like someone is using your new occupancy as a means to get away with not cleaning after themselves. I would have an all housemate meeting and assert that the mess is not yours but that you are willing to HELP clean it for the sake of goodwill. Also that if they have an issue to talk to you like a person about issues not some stitty note that puts all the power in the sender as you have no way of defending yourself to a price of paper. Do this with conviction but don't be too aggressive or make it seem accusatorial. You are the "new guy" after all.

-I've had a lot of flatmates over the years.
>>
>>18614573
that might be the case although everyone else but one guy here is as new as I am. So I don't know why they would have singled me out.

I was also wondering if the original note writer might have left everyone else a note as well. Which is part of the reason I wanted to leave my own note in a common area where everyone can see it, so I'm not suspected of being some asshole who leaves anonymous hostile notes for people.

About the meeting, I've thought of it but we are all students and fairly busy, so I don't know how long it will be until we can meet.

I was hoping my note would cause the original note writer to come talk to me face to face, and then maybe I could talk to my other roommates about the issue when I see them.
>>
>>18614606
hmm, this is a tough one anon.. Combating a shitty note with a well intentioned (but potentially viewed by others as a shitty note) is not ideal imo. But if it's that hard to get everyone together than it may be the only real option other than going to each roommate separately, witch I don't recommend as people tend to feel singled out when you do so. If you can convey what my op said in text eloquently then I would do that. There will just be an awkward waiting period, and it's easier to dismiss a note. (hence my suggestion of an all flatmate meeting) But unlike the noteanon make sure it's clear you are talking to everyone about this not attempting to assign guilt.
>>
Didn't even read your post.

If you have 5 roommates, and the house is a mess, the place needs leadership.

Call a meeting, get everything put into the air, and figure out a system. We did that, and when the guy who wasn't pulling his weight was discovered, we all laid into him.

Passive aggressive notes don't do shit. However, a HUGE majority of people are uncomfortable with confrontation. Learn how to engage with people aggressively, and you'll come to find that most of them would rather just do what you say than argue.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.