[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, I got a personal problem. A really big insecurity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1481351934290.jpg (79KB, 874x684px) Image search: [Google]
1481351934290.jpg
79KB, 874x684px
Hey /adv/, I got a personal problem. A really big insecurity of mine is that I did shit in high school.
I was always told I'm smart and whatnot, but I always blew it off. I got okay test scores (passed all my ap tests, 31 ACT), but my grades were ass (2.7 unweighted GPA). Am I doomed to a life of dumb? or can I actually get into a college with these scores?
>>
31 is really good on the act but you do need to hire your gpa a bit that's all
>>
>>18613011
I've already graduated high school, though. Is there nothing I can do to impress colleges?
>>
>>18612933
Study in Europe? I mean, yeah money and shit, but you can take longer and have a job to support yourself
I can't tell in the US, assuming you're american, but here is cheap af, even for foreigners compared to your system. And I did horribly in school, got into uni, graduated and got a job. Not rich though... yet
If you get into college there, awesome, but there's always that chance, way better than a "life of dumb" as you said
>>
>>18613523
My mother had a few connections that would get me study English in Britain, but its not something I wanna do. Do you have any recommendations on country? or cost? The uni I wanna go to here Is like $20k a year.
>>
>>18613538
I only have my experience, I'm from Spain and I studied in a small town, so living expenses weren't too high, also I got scholarship because of unemployed mum, different city and whatnot. I don't know if you could apply for a scholarship here though.
You don't wanna go to Britain, study English, or study abroad??
>>
>>18612933
You're fine senpai. The only question you need to ask is are you trying to go to a top tier school? You're not going to be ivy league, and you might not get your first choice, but you're more than good enough to get in.

Plus, if you write a good entrance exam letter you can spin your poor GPA as an issue with boredom because you didn't feel challenged enough to care or some shit.

It's not hard honestly, you just need to sell yourself a bit, but even if you don't you'll get in a school for sure.
>>
>>18613603
I'm good at BS'ing, that much is true. My shot is university of Kentucky, so not at all ivy league.
>>18613548
I can't necessarily stay in Britain forever I don't think, plus I think it's more expensive than my Podunk Kentucky town. English isn't my best subject either, but hey, I'm a choosing beggar at this point.
>>
you're not a brainlet if that's what you worry about. 31 is getting towards the far right end of the act distribution. you have the laziness problem, which is a very real thing I suppose.

I don't know anything about you, but maybe you're lazy because you find high school to be very easy. If this is the case, impose your own level upon yourself. Take a difficult course at your state university and do well at it. Make the consequences of laziness high rather than low.
>>
>>18612933
>I always blew it off.

Professor writing here. If that is the story - that you've got the brains but were too immature or undisciplined to use them, then all is not lost. But you're going to have to prove to colleges that that really is the story.

Even with what amounts to a B- average you might be able to get into your second-string state university. But you'll increase your chances with a year of community college in which you really work and get As.

University admissions people like the "I was a goof-off but grew up" story if you give them some hard evidence to support it.
>>
>>18612933

man, fuck this liberal propaganda that every motherfucker needs to go into $100k debt for college then work at starbucks.

go to a trade school, learn plumbing, and MOP UP $$$. i am shocked how much money blue collar professions are pulling in. fuck me i fucked up. $30,000 for a slab leak. insurance covers damages but the fix is over $13k. the guy is young too. fuck!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.