[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know what to do with my life and don't know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 409313_1341431983288_399_300.jpg (114KB, 399x299px) Image search: [Google]
409313_1341431983288_399_300.jpg
114KB, 399x299px
I don't know what to do with my life and don't know how to figure it out. I'm 24, almost 25. I'm currently going to community college doing basics. Don't know what I should go for bachelor's degree wise one I transfer. I've worked at the same retail job for 4 years now. I hate it. I want to leave for anything that will pay better but I don't know what.

My main interests are video games, anime, and exercise. They say you should turn one of your pass into a job but I don't know how to do that. Plenty of anime critics exist as do streamers so both of those seem already saturated.

I kinda want to do the JET program since I am kind of a weeb who has interest in Japan. I've tried learning some Japanese off and on. I just don't know what bachelor's degree to go for.

Thinking about all of this and how lost I am just depresses me. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>24 and posting anime pics of ltitle girls.
>going to community college.
>TWENTYFUCKINGFOUR and in college, like some old pathetic man.

Maybe suicide is an option.
>>
>>18612474
I have thought about that more and more lately. If you're going to suggest it then at least suggest some methods for new too.
>>
>>18612460
Transfer to the state college/unit for general studies if you're unsure. From there you can change your major as you've already been accepted. Just don't waste anymore time. If you can do some online nonsense courses like psych, sociology or whatever through the CC (while you're at uni) then do that because it's cheaper per credit hour. Then transfer it in, but make sure your Uni will take it first otherwise it's wasted cash and time. Maybe graphic design is your calling, but get that degree and internships during the summer
>>
>>18612486
Be creative. If you're gonna go out, do it in such a way that people will talk about it for centuries. You got one shot so make it count.

Like, I'd find some super sharp wire, think of a apple slicer or anything like that. it looks like a large spatula with thin ribbons spaced about 1/4 inch apart on the inside, you press it down on a food to cut it.

So you take that idea and enlarge it to full human size right?

Then you put it under some building, like a hotel.

Then you climb to the top and jump off into it. That would get people talking.
>>
>>18612460
>>18612486
Fuck that noise.

Everyone has different circumstances, and you're not an outlier for being in college, community or public, while being 24-25. Hell, 30 or older and it's not rare at all.
If the finances are holding you back, it's OK to take your time with your studies. There's also absolutely nothing wrong with lasting more than 4 years doing undergraduate or what have you.

Go at your own pace, but whatever you do, make sure you do it right. You might mess up, and here's the dirty secret of life: it's OK to make mistakes.

My advice? Do the JET program. You might enjoy it because sugoi, or you might hate it completely because of culture shock and homesickness. But if you do it, you'll have experience under your belt, and that always gives you the upper hand.
>>
>>18612537
And if you can't do the JET program, see if you can get into a STEM field.
Maybe developing video games would be a good start? That is, the fundamentals of programming and coding. You might enjoy it or you might not. You never know until you try.
>>
>>18612605
I don't think I could make games since I'm not very good at at any don't know of anyone who could help me out in that department.
>>
>>18612624
*Art
>>
If you want to try games try experimenting with rpg maker it's pretty fun,I tried it and already have characters moving and fighting takes time ,(you can custom make the looks of the characters too )
>>
>>18612624
Well, I was not talking about art. The problem with art is you're either good, or bad. It takes a lot of practice and time to get good, even if you have talent for it. The art field is saturated, unfortunately.
You need a lot of passion and determination to make it there.

No, I'm referring to coding, where effort alone can make you a good programmer. Java, C++, Python, or any number of languages.
When I went to college, I took a comprehensive class of two semesters learning Java, and along with it, everything there is to know about syntax that could be applied to other languages. I liked it! It wasn't my career and I was only doing it to complete my credit, but if I need to change careers, I could easily go back and do that.

I'm not telling you to make games on your own, goodness no. That takes experience and determination too, along with a high bar of failure.
I'm telling you to gain the knowledge and experience needed to get into a studio, where you can further develop your experience. That's how most indie devs are born.
>>
>>18612652
And if you can't get into a studio, then fuck it; you can try video games later.
You know how to code now, and that's golden.

Mobile apps, IT/database management, cyber security, etc... There's an entire world out there for programmers. It's only a matter of enjoying the work or not.
>>
>>18612679
If that's the case should I go for computer science for my bachelor's degree? That's what I'd need to go into programming right?
>>
>>18612735
Indeed, computer science can lead you to many different fields.
See if you can transfer your community college credits to your bachelor's program of your desired public college; it helps, and if not, then it's not a big deal.

Keep in mind, computer science isn't for everyone. You might end up hating it. It's some math, a lot of monotonous work, and is challenging. But if you put in real effort, you'll make it for sure.
You can also change degrees halfway through. You'll get the chance to think things through by then: "Is this really what I want? Is there anything else I enjoyed on my journey here?"

Talk to your counselor or whatever they're called in your school, and set up a class game plan with them; you can even show them your budget and they'll find the most efficient course plan for you to graduate. They will help you start off, and to change trajectories if you want.
>>
>>18612777
And, most importantly, it will feel like you're not wasting your life away while doing it.
Having a goal you can look forward to gives you the motivation to need to soften that annoying depression.
>>
>>18612790
Thanks for all the advice anon. I've actually been looking into which classes to take this next semester and signing up now.
>>
>>18612862
Remember, there's no shame in taking your time! Make sure you reach for that diploma, and look out for the many roads will open along the way.

Best of luck!
>>
>>18612872
Thank you again. I wish I knew more people like you in my life.
>>
>>18612872
>Remember, there's no shame in taking your time!

Yes, there is shame in taking your time. Its called laziness and you're worse than a druggie if you're lazy. Plenty of successful people are druggies, but few lazy people are successful.
>>
GTFO. Go to Japan. Fucking AWESOME country, and crazy as hell. You'll find a passion, some hot Japanese women and have fun.

What you're doing ISN'T WORKING. So change. Do something else. You're young enough to not give a fuck. I'm 47, took an overseas job at 42. Best thing I ever did. Get out of wherever you are. GO
>>
>>18612460

The "turn a hobby into a career" advice is pretty stupid. Find something in one of your classes that's interesting enough, and try to make a career out of that.

I do academic research. It's *interesting*, but it's not a hobby. Most people's jobs aren't.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.