[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >24 >two year IT degree >working towards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: server.jpg (95KB, 631x522px) Image search: [Google]
server.jpg
95KB, 631x522px
>be me
>24
>two year IT degree
>working towards Comm degree
>worried about career decisions

Should I continue working towards this four year Comm degree or just go straight to work in IT? I have little to no work experience and I feel it will be a struggle trying to find something entry level. I don't even have a certification like A+ or CCNA. Plus, I've heard that IT now-a-days is a complete shit show. Entry level employees have to do loads of work, while getting paid around 12-15 per hour. Also the end-game for IT in today's world is either Net Admin, Sys Admin, or Linux Admin. So that makes me wonder if I should continue with this four year Comm Studies degree or perhaps switch to a different major yet again. My other areas of interest are: History, Psychology, Philosophy. and Public Health.

What do you guys think /adv/?
>>
selfless bump...
>>
>>18612422
IT isn't a shit field I have a relative who works in the field and he always telling how many jobs their are going around the place, of coruse you need experience so it helps if you've had an internship or even a portfolio of some work you've done you have to make the choice of continuing school or just go straight into the playing field.
>>
>>18612705
Yeah but how do I go about getting experience when I have like none?

As for school, I have like a year and half left for this degree. But thing is what is this really going to do for me if I'm going into IT? It's almost like a waste of time and money.
>>
>>18612791
See, some IT degrees are pretty crap. They don't challenge you or they don't prepare you for real-life work conditions (this can apply to any degree, however).

Do what the anon says: an internship.
Can't get a paid one? Get an unpaid one, even though it's technically slavery. Any experience is better than no experience. Look for summer ones, especially.

If that doesn't work for you, work on an application or cool executable you can show off as part of your portfolio.
>>
>>18612807 (You)
Actually, fuck what I just said there. You can get IT internships in most of the world, no problem. If you can't get on, you aren't looking hard enough.

It might suck and you might be paid like shit, but that's how you build experience. The world expects you to shit out gold for free at first; everyone starts like that. But once you reach a certain threshold, the work and pay isn't bad anymore.
>>
>>18612807
Places around here require experience to gain experience...

I don't know what applications to work on nor show off any cool code...

What about school though? I can't make my mind up about this like apart of me thinks I need a four year degree in order to achieve certain things in life but other half doesn't care as much just get to work save money etc.
>>
>>18612875
>Places around here require experience to gain experience...
BULLSHIT
Internships are designed specifically to con inexperienced students out of their hard work. If they do require previous experience, look to see what experience they refer to; you can usually get it if it's for an internship.

I know because I was STEM too. I landed a job through my internship. They payed like shit for the internship, but once I was added to the payroll, it was easy going (job-wise).

I had a friend who joined the same internship and HATED it. He changed careers soon afterward.
School and work are two different things. You won't know what you'll like unless you try it.
>>
>>18612894
What about getting certs for IT or is that just a money grabbing meme?

I was thinking about dropping Comm Studies for Public Health instead because /pol/ was telling me how the medical field isn't going anywhere and will eventually need more ppl than the IT field.
>>
>>18612958
Certification for IT? That really depends on whether you're confident enough to pass the exams.
These tests are a couple hundred each, so it's not technically that expensive compared to your education, but they're enough to make you think twice before taking them.
It certainly adds to your resume when applying for a job, depending on the certificate (research which one is the right one for you before shelling out any money).

As for public health, that really is up to you. The medical field certainly isn't going anywhere (there's going to be more need for nurses because of aging boomer population), but hospitals will always need IT people. Maybe you can blend the two? That's honestly depending on how much you enjoy your field, and only you know what you want.
>>
>>18612986
Yeah well aren't certifications kinda needed for IT?

Also as for Public Health, I was reading that it's tough to get a job if you don't have at least a Master's or a Nursing licensing.

I wish knowing what I want would come easier instead of this dreadful back and forth I think I want this or that nonsense.
>>
>>18613059
Certifications aren't NEEDED to land a job in IT. What people look for is your history, your experience, and what you accomplishments are. Certifications add to it 100%, but they're not do all, end all. You need more than certifications to land a proper job.

Public health is indeed a bitch if you're not fully committed to it.

Flip a coin and stick to it.
The more indecisive you are, the more painful it will be to switch later on.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.