[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't know if anyone's really gonna give a shit, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1502417589174.png (136KB, 363x296px) Image search: [Google]
1502417589174.png
136KB, 363x296px
Don't know if anyone's really gonna give a shit, but should I keep going to high school and get my diploma? Or drop out and get my GED? I've never had a job, I'm 18, and I think I'm still a fucking reclassified sophomore. Is there hope for me anons? I just want to get my academic situation together so I can get a job and quit feeling like a fucking leech to my family.
>>
>>18610455
Depends if you're intelligent enough to teach yourself the material to take the test, and what you are wanting to do once you graduate.

If you want to go to college, you're gonna need extra-cirriculars and a stellar SAT/ACT score to get accepted with failing at LEAST twice in grade school, so I would stay in. If you aren't smart enough to teach yourself the test, then I would stay in.

If you can study and pass the test without guidance, and are just looking to get into a trade or get a McJob, then get the GED.

Also, you know that past a certain age, you can't be in high school anymore, right? In my highschool, it was 21. Didn't matter if you were only a half-semester away of graduating, you were done when you hit age 21.
>>
If you have no idea what to do with your life, you could always do a term in the military. I had no direction out of high school, so I joined the Navy for four years to get paid while I figured that out. You may enjoy it and decide to stay in. If not, being former military bumps you to the top of most businesses' lists of people to hire because it tells them that you're the most likely to show up to work on time, in the correct uniform, and that you can follow orders.
>>
>>18610465
I think I could definitely manage to teach myself the material, and what I do after I graduate really doesn't matter to me as of now, but community college is within the realm of possibilities

Would you say the same situation still applies for going to a community college?

And I'm totally aware of that, which is why I'm considering dropping out. My previous teachers have also told me that a good percentage of employers look down on those with GED's as opposed to diplomas, do you think I could still manage to land a decent job with a GED? (You know, besides flipping burgers)
>>
>>18610477
I actually did a bit of research myself on that, but I read online that the military is VERY strict about accepting anyone with a GED, what did you generally have to do during your time in the Navy? I'd like to join, but I don't think I'd be accepted
>>
>>18610504
>Would you say the same situation applies for going to a community college?

No. They take anyone who has the money. That said, if you don't know what you're going for, and are highly driven to achieve it (based on your age/grade in hs, I'm guessing you aren't) you're just gonna flunk out of that shit, too, and waste even more money.

>do you think I could still manage to land a decent job with a GED?
I really don't think it matters. Skilled tradesmen care more about experience/skill than your diploma, McJobs don't give a shit about anything at all except whether you can show up, and most white collar jobs care about your college degree and relevant work experience.
>>
>>18610512
They take either or. Granted, seeing high school all the way through and getting a diploma may be better in the long run, but if you intend to make a career out of the military, they only want you to have a diploma if you're going to be an officer.

I was an IT (Information Systems Technician), and got stationed at Pearl Harbor for my four years. It was essentially a paid four-year vacation to Hawaii. I oversaw comms, and fixed them if they failed. I worked 3 days, 5am to 5pm, then I had 3 days off. This went for two cycles, then it switched from 5pm to 5am for two cycles before going back again.
>>
File: 1498104696960.png (423KB, 645x645px) Image search: [Google]
1498104696960.png
423KB, 645x645px
>>18610513
Maybe I'll just stay away from that for now then, and that's a MAJOR relief to hear, I suppose the GED is better suited for my situation right? Your advice is highly appreciated, thanks anon!
>>
File: 1498433545357.jpg (53KB, 634x439px) Image search: [Google]
1498433545357.jpg
53KB, 634x439px
>>18610455
Go to trade school

Or start a buisness
>>
>>18610523
That actually sounds really comfy, that's definitely something I'll look more into, what's the whole process you have to go through before doing something like that though? (Assuming there is one)
>>
>>18610455
Holy fuck yes, soon enough (hopefully) you're gonna get a fire up your ass and start trying hard at everything you do. I was lazy in high school and never learned to work hard until I started working.
>>
>>18610581
Well first, you'd naturally have to speak with a recruiting officer. Most towns have one, or are at least close enough to one. There's a test called the ASVAB (basically an easier SAT) that examines your knowledge in a variety of subjects from mathematics and history to auto mechanics and language aptitude. Your score on this test determines your ability to choose which job you want. The intel jobs like IT are all above the 60% scores. Basically, the higher the better.

Boot camp was a pain in the ass, but it's meant to be. The important thing to remember is that it's only 2 months, and the real military isn't anything like it. Boot camp exists to break people down and build them back up, and create an environment where you're forced to rely on your soon-to-be brothers in arms in order to survive. Just keep quiet and complacent. Play the game for the brief time it lasts, and you'll be fine.

Depending on your job, next comes A-School. This is where you'll be taught to do your job. Most bases dedicated to this operate like a college campus. You get a barracks/dorm room, you go to class 5 days a week, and you get weekends off. Avoid causing trouble or getting too hammered off base, and you'll be fine. Since I was an IT, my A-School was in Pensacola, FL. It was a really fun few months.

Finally, you're sent out into the Fleet to perform your job at your permanent duty station. This will be where you'll be riding out the rest of your term. There are two types of commands in the Navy: sea duty and shore duty. Sea duty has you assigned to a ship, performing various tasks in that ship's area of operation. The work can be troublesome when you have to partake in ship drills, and the hours can sometimes be a pain, but it's balanced by traveling to exotic ports and seeing the world like you never would have before (and getting paid to do it). Shore has you in one place, so you can make a schedule, at the cost of having to find ways to keep yourself entertained.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.