[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to teach myself C++ but whenever I do I find myself either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 14c (1).jpg (17KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
14c (1).jpg
17KB, 207x253px
I want to teach myself C++ but whenever I do I find myself either distracted or tired. How do I keep myself focused on it?
This isnt my first programming language, so the concept isnt confusing to me
Thanks!
>pic unrelated
>>
>>18610274
I think it's a motivation problem that's keeping you distracted. You should know as well as I do that motivation is entirely different for everyone and how one stays motivated varies quite a bit.
Have you tried evaluating why it is you keep getting distracted and exhausted? Does the subject material bore you and are you just learning it in order to be better employable? You need to identify why it is you are even bothering fucking with a coding language.
I hate to use my experiences as an example but for me, the way I stay motivated is by setting hard deadlines for things to be finished. If I don't have a deadline, I will put off doing any work and end up never finishing my projects. Learning theory for the sake of knowing has never stuck with me either, the best way I learn how to do things is by giving myself actual problems that can only be solved with knowledge of the theory. Try get some coding projects going that actually interest you. You're bound to run into some roadblocks that will require some research on your end. In doing this, you'll end up teaching yourself better than just brute force memorizing things.
Just my 2 cents.
>>
I agree, when I was learning Java I started by making Minecraft mods and shit that way I constantly had something to work through. I generated a problem to solve for myself. When I was in college alot of people in the engineering department where like that, they didn't want to just study something they wanted to build, create, and fix stuff. Guess it's just the way our brains are wired or something
>>
>>18610274
Same here, i started learning computer graphics in my spare time and since I want my renderer to have as strong a basis as possible, i chose C# despite never working with it before. While my prototype in processing worked fairly well, I constantly have to debug and research with C#.
>>
>>18610274
Try different studying styles: reading, listening and/or watching, doing.

Also study in a shorter bursts and take small breaks in between.
>>
>>18610290
OP here on a different device(phone died)
I don't think motivation is the problem, because im doing for a few personal reasons, but none of them are anything major
I think that the distracting part is because im always on a computer and because of that can easily get distracted by anything on the internet, as for being tired, I probably do get bored reading all those paragraphs about stuff I already know, just to learn the syntax

but your solution may work, and I am a more hands on learner
Thanks for your help!
>>
>>18610303
>>18610311
>>18610315
OP again
thank you all, and I will try to keep them all in mind
also this is a bit less related but /adv/ posters are some of the nicest people out there
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.