[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal to become dumber because of mental illness? I feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1500004065865.png (954KB, 765x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1500004065865.png
954KB, 765x1044px
Is it normal to become dumber because of mental illness? I feel like I used to be so much more intelligent and I used to understand things much easier but after I fell into depression and anxiety I feel as if I cannot understand anything and everything is really difficult. I'm not as depressed anymore and I've basically recovered but I feel as if my brain doesn't work as good anymore. When people say things to me it takes me a long time to understand even simple things. Is this normal? What do I do?
>>
do you get enough sleep? yes being depressed will make you have less clarity
>>
>>18609555
It is perfectly normal to feel dumber during a period of mental illness - likely a combination of low self worth, low motivation, lack of sleep and brain burnout. (E.g - you are slightly slower but it feels worse than it is).

It is not normal to continue to feel slower *after* healing and coming out of a period of mental illness. See a Doctor, because that implies an actual physical brain injury above and beyond a serotonin imbalance
>>
>>18609606
Really? I don't know how I could've had a brain injury. I do feel much slower and I'm having a hard time comprehending things even video games. I don't remember how to write like I used to and my grammar/spelling is worse. I used to be able to write essays and things easily but now I'm just lacking the thought for it.
>>
It's very common. Mental illness, particularly depression, is also associated with poor working memory and memory retention.
>>
I legitimately feel this way on a smaller scale. I don't necessarily feel dumber, I feel like things cant be comprehended like they use too. I ask people what they said again, or stutter. Something I've always struggled with but never as bad as this. Part of this I know is because how nervous and concious of my actions I am at all times. I smoke alot of weed so that doesn't help. But my mental health has dropped greatly.
>21 F
>major depressive disorder
>borderline personality disorder
>>
Your brain can not think correctly because you worked up about so many other things your not dumber you're just blocking out what your brain deems not necessary so you're not dumber your just forgetting things that doesn't mean they are forgotten forever you can still think and recover them.
>>
>>18609688
But can it make me less smart? I legitimately feel dumber and like I can't think how I used to. I can't talk as deeply as I used to about things either.
>>
>>18609762
I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression like 8 years ago after some serious family issues.
I finally went through EEG biofeedback and got on antidepressants ~a year ago, and whether or not it's a placebo, I don't know, but my wife has said I'm speaking more on the level like when we first met.
What you gotta realize is that if you're depressed etc is that it affects your sleep cycle too. You may be sleeping more, but that doesn't mean it's good sleep, and when you're fatigued or exhausted constantly, your brain isn't working at 100%.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.