[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Champ, your mother and I think it's time you went outside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: GameStopDad.png (1MB, 950x678px) Image search: [Google]
GameStopDad.png
1MB, 950x678px
>Champ, your mother and I think it's time you went outside and got a job. You play way to much video games cooped up in your room. Get dressed and meet me in the car. I'm driving you to find work, and we won't turn back until someone hires you on the spot.
>You've been spending too much time inside, so you might as well meet people, make some money on your own, and live a normal life. You can buy a new computer once you get your first paycheck and maybe some games to play with friends that you can invite over.
>Well here we are at the first store. It's a game stop so I think you'll fit in nicely here. I heard they even give in-store credit and discounts if you an employee so go out there and ask for a job
>And remember it's as simple as walking into the place, speaking with the manager, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you wanna work there. No excuses, Champ. Winners never quit.

Do you have experiences with Baby Boomer parents or relatives who REFUSE to believe getting a job is getting harder nowadays? And when you tell them "they only take online applications online" they really think you're making up excuses.
>>
I went through that at 16 too. They might just want to see you doing something, like some semblance of having a life. So getting an education, having a career plan and avoiding them by doing outdoor activities instead of seeing them might work just fine.

> play with friends that you can invite over.

Now this makes it sound like you're 12.
>>
>>18602352
It's actually a pasta, I didn''t wrote it, but it makes me think this is a very good discussion point, especially the old mindset of "just ask to the manager to hire you".
At least where I leave that's no longer a valid thing, they ask for so many qualifications and years of experience...
After years of not finding a job after university I said "Fuck it" and now run my own business, but it's a shame I'm the exception and not the rule and there's still friends and acquintances struggling.
>>
Yep. I even live in an old fashoned town, and I've done what they said to do multiple times. I showed up physically at the place, I shook the managers/head department guys head, I filled out the aplication right in front of their faces, but I still can't get hired. I even get interviews half the time and I never get call backs. But in a way I also see it as karma for all the times I fucked up cause I had so many opportunities for other jobs, but I always punked out on them at the last minute.
All I really want is an administrative job, but admin jobs are seen as female work, so I don't even know why I bother showing up for them.
>>
>>18602372
Yeah, some people . never really grasp it and just make the same mistakes for years.

Bad analogy time; it's like trying to rank up and win competitions on a first person shooter when you can't even figure out how the aim works. Some will say it's totally simple, and it kinda is. But the guy who can't aim is getting wiped out by any and all competition.
>>
>>18602319
>Do you have experiences with Baby Boomer parents or relatives who REFUSE to believe getting a job is getting harder nowadays? And when you tell them "they only take online applications online" they really think you're making up excuses.

Spend at least 4 hours a day going around to places filling in job apps and online as well.

Then spend 4 hours doing housework and making your personal space as well as your home nice. Assuming you live with parents and this is what you do, you're literally not working anything and using lack of an employer as an excuse for laziness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjfClL6nogo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6-c3j0K_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTsUn2eJ5To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcEJr8h_yGM

Look. I was the same as you. I realized its selfish and destructive. I mean, you're literal scum at this point if you're doing nothing but playing video games and not contributing.

If you really can't find a job, do some volunteer work. Volunteer work shows that you want to and CAN actually do something when you're not employed, and looks very, very tasty on your CV/resume. It shows initiative and is a much better chance of getting hired.

Show the world who you really are. Get out there and volunteer and clean up.

if you spend 4 hours a day cleaning house and fixing things in it, within 2 weeks it'll be so shipshape that it'll look like people who care live there. offer to paint the house. Offer to fix parts of it with wood and hammers and research how to do it all yourself since you have access to a computer and so much free time.

Do you have anything you want to be when you grow up? A lawyer? A physicist? Find books on that subject at your library and study while you're waiting for job callbacks. Get yourself situated early on for success down the road.
>>
>>18602408
I already, see >>18602365
I just thought this was an interesting conversation topic since, from what American friends tell me, over there the situation is as bad as in my country, literal Electrical and Mechatronic engineers with university degrees flipping burgers at McDonald's because "You need to be 28 and at least have 5 years of prior experience", and that caused a vicious cycle, they reached 28 but don't have the experience because literally nobody wanted to hire people who got their degree recently, or work jobs completely unrelated to their career.
>>
>>18602372
> Administrator
> Female job
You could do what you want, or stick to someone elses 'skirtwork' mentality. Then again you're on 4chan, so your probably not a down home country boy anyway.
>>
>>18602372
>Admin
>Female
Fucking what? Over here that's a man's job, and you get raises as you keep working and then get better positions within a company.
>>
>>18602488
And where I live its different. If you're not a person who lifts things up and puts them down, or some chef, or some other hard labor asinine thing, its the females who own the positions. I don't have the body for hard labor (or at the very least am not seen as it) and the women owners would rather hire other women that would just end up quitting 3 months in anyway. My area sucks.
>just move lmao
One kinda needs money to do that, which is why I'm trying to get a job in the first place.
>>
>>18602499
Just take the admin job man. Who cares what others think? A salary is a salary.
>>
>>18602319
>we won't turn back until someone hires you on the spot.
How far did you get?
>>
I had a job lined up as soon as I turned 16, so no.
>>
>>18602503
What I'm saying is I'm TRYING to get an admin job, and that I feel it's pointless to show up to fill out an application they're going to trash anyway since they'll hire some girl over me.
>>
>>18602408
>muh booootstraps
>>
>>18602506
OP here. Again, it's pasta, but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss, both hired anons and those still job hunting.
>>
>>18602512
Bootstraps is life bitch.
>>
>>18602506
I heard he got all the way to the rubber room with those nice comfy white jackets.
>>
>>18602511
you're right.
Admin jobs are for women.
Go to a tech school and learn construction.
MAGA
>>
>>18602511
You keep talking about girls snagging your jobs left and right all over town. Obviously you are uncertain, and making excuses.
>>
>>18602538
I'm not making excuses when I did admit early that part of it is my fault. Plus my town and surrounding areas aren't very big so its pretty easy to spot the newbie in places.
>>
>>18602512
don't be such a babby bitch
>>
File: JFburiD_.jpg (18KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
JFburiD_.jpg
18KB, 284x284px
>>18602535
>construction jobs
>not already being taken by an army of beaners, legal and illegal
>>
>>18602641
You're right about being wrong.
If you're a general contractor, you're hiring beans, but if you're a white American--you're qualified in my book.
>>
I'm on both sides of the subject. Getting a true entry level, minimum wage job? I can't believe anyone that says they're having a hard time getting one, without expecting that you're just not going in with a terrible approach to the process.

A few years back, I was hiring part-time help for a new opening location in the company. We had a full job fair, with 20 or so positions open in five different departments (so about 100 jobs). I can't tell you how many people came in to the job fair completely unprepared - dressed inappropriately, unable to answer simple interview questions, didn't know anything about who they were applying for, or literally said shit like "my mom told me I should come here."

Despite the Champ meme posting, some of those things are still valid for finding a job.

But I'll agree that for "entry-level" jobs, like right out of college and shit, employers are WAY too finicky, and there's a definite barrier to entry.
>>
File: 1496213428808.png (177KB, 436x361px) Image search: [Google]
1496213428808.png
177KB, 436x361px
>Do you have experiences with Baby Boomer parents or relatives who REFUSE to believe getting a job is getting harder nowadays?
Yes. They mean well, so I don't get angry at them. I mean even this new meme underscores the fact that the dad just cares about his son and wants him to get moving. But my father legitimately believes walking in and trying to talk to the manager is still the best way to get a job. It's not, it just pisses them off and they tell you to apply online. It probably works for small stores where the owner is often on the ground floor to begin with but for your large chains, no way in hell.

In terms of finding a job I've had much better results going to college workshops and such. There are tons of resources for finding an Engineering internship and they will help you build connections and polish your resume.
>>
>>18602659

That's because to employers, the only people they want are people who are highly qualified and able to do everything they need without training - but then they want to pay them minimum wage to do it all. So they're overqualified and underpaid. Then there's the people who need jobs, who have no qualifications because they've never had a job before, who need the training and would be worth the minimum wage. But they won't hire them since they're risky, won't train them.

So you want people who are highly qualified to not get paid enough, and the people who would be worth the pay to go get experience somewhere else first. And it's because the job market is like this that we're all struggling out there.

>gotta have a car to get a job
>gotta have a job to get a car

Only now we've thrown in
>gotta have a job to have a job
>>
>>18602671

I'm the anon you're replying to, and I agree for the most part. I had to spend time homeless and fighting for experience outside of retail after graduating college, and now I'm finally flush with an amazing career, but it's too hard for people to get relevant experience anymore. Almost nothing I do in my current job came from college, so unless someone has an internship at minimum on their resume, I can't hire them, unfortunately.

But there's no one telling that to students.
>>
>>18602408
This, the economy is improving, it's not like the recession anymore -- not having a job is completely on you.

Even if it's literally impossible to find a job, it's no excuse to sit on your ass playing fucking video-games like some loser.
>>
File: angry pussy at hihg speeds.jpg (11KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
angry pussy at hihg speeds.jpg
11KB, 318x313px
>>18602695
>tfw my country is still in recession
>the dollar is an all-time high
I fucking hate this place.
>>
>>18602685

My best friend graduated with a Master's in business and a bachelor's in physics, and the best he's been able to do in our area is work as a manager for electrical stuff at a hardware store.

No one's hiring anyone of worth these days; I've watched three managers get promoted ahead of me, only to find out they're underqualified, assholes, or liars, or a mixture of the three.

>like that one who has been stealing from the company
>spent the night's bank deposit, had to pay it back from his check a few days later
>late nearly every day, usually around an 45-60 minutes
>no warnings, no penalties

Meanwhile I call up work to say I'll be a few minutes late because my car doors are frozen shut in the winter, and I get taken off of work for a week because I'm "unreliable."

>>18602695

Depends on where you live, what kinds of jobs are available, and if you have the resources to attain said job. Anyone saying "not having a job is completely on you" has never spent years trying to attain one only to be turned away at every doorstep, interview, or company you've ever applied to.
>>
Tons of jobs are available if you aren't a fucked-up druggie or drunk, there's actually many jobs if you put in the effort because -- surprise -- most low quality jobs are staffed by low quality people; if you retain a good work ethic you're la crème de la crème for that job.
>>
>>18602717

This unfortunately is also a lie; having a good work ethic means nothing to most employers. You can do great work and be a reliable, on-time, great employee - all that means is that more work is shifted to you while other people get paid the same amount you do to stand around.
>>
>>18602703
sounds like some of them managers were giving out the hanky panky. Maybe even some sucky sucky.
>>
>>18602745

If they were, it was to other male managers, so... lots of gay assholes in my workplace, I guess.
>>
>>18602319
Temp agencies are a blessing. Seriously, there's probably more than one in your city that does temp to hire
>>
>>18602729
This desu
>got job last month
>give 110% effort
>managers all rave
>one lady been there 5 years
>last shift they gave out employee of month
>when we head back to our spots she talks to me
>"shoulda been you"
>"you're sweating 5 minutes into your shift and others are texting the whole time"
>"you should really slow down, they're only gonna push you harder"

She's a cool old black lady but she's rite. She went on to say that it's always the same 3-5 people as employee of month, and people who deserve it never win. Sucks, cause I'm pushed to prove myself and hopefully get full time position, and that just left me thinking during the rest of my shift
>>
I've never had one problem finding a job. I graduated high school early and got a job at a grocery store. I only needed to apply once and got a call back right away, that job helped pay for my college. Only later to find out I don't even need a degree for what I plan on doing.

I'm now hired by the state and currently at the police academy.
>>
> start at the bottom making 7.50$
> eventually trade up for something better
> this is hard
Well , well mr.op I think I found your problem
>>
>>18602772
Yup, I feel you. If I'm going to put in work, I want to be paid for it. Otherwise, there's no reason to do much more than the bare minimum to not get fired.
>>
>>18602753
I doubt so. I'm from the literal third world, Mexico.
I studied marketing, and the job at a publicity and marketing office only offered me 240 dollars a month.
>>
The first one is the hardest. I remember being 16 and getting shuttled around by my parents to every grocery store in a 10 mile radius just to get told that they only do online applications. Do the applications, take the silly tests, get the job. Getting the second job is way easier.
>>
>>18602911
Yeah, I remember that I couldn't get hired at any grocery or retail stores when I was a teen. I got into a daycare and babysitting gig since my mom's friend own a daycare.
>>
Yeah I went through all that when I was younger except my father was a dick especial telling me that you've fucked up somewhere if you can't earn $400 a day and that anybody can get a job, you just have to be able to get up early enough and be prepared to walk door to door.

That said every job I've gotten has come from a combination of networking and treating finding a job almost like an actual job. The problem is when you are in that situation it is incredibly demoralising and the well meaning, but often uncalled for and generic advice of others just makes it worse.

>Oh I can help you find a job because I think it is easy and so all you've got to do is adjust your attitude and if you disagree SEE WHAT I MEAN?!
What?
>SEE! You aren't even trying!
Uhh..
>Yo, this fool isn't trying! No wonder he can't get a job!
Uhh..

If you've got a good network then half of this work is getting done for you, but if not you've got to approach it in the same manner you would if performing business development for a particular region. Make a long list of places to contact, figure out the key individuals, email or write to them, follow it up with a phone call, assess interest, follow it up with appropriate response up to a personal visit if necessary. If it genuinely is a fucked situation such as nobody in the area then you've got to accept that, but you can at least back it up now or look at expanding your radius, upgrading your transportation options, skills or even be willing to relocate.

These things are all more proactive than just complaining about it which is why people try to offer half baked advice that just gets your back up.
>>
>>18602319
I'm 31, and have never been turned away from applying on the spot. Even fucking McDonalds will have a computer right there. So if your parents are pushing it, then just go with them and apply.

Boomers may be a little behind the times when it comes to applying online, but if you don't have a job, then you obviously aren't treating your job search like a job (applying for 25 hours per week if in school, applying for 40 hours per week if out of school - and it's summer vacation, meaning 40 hours per week).
>>
>>18602319

Ive gotten jobs walking in and talking to the manager and asking them for an application. There are a ton of shitty jobs you can do and if you dont have job experience then get some through volunteering or look into job placement agencies.

If everyone around you is working and you aren't dont naje excuses like nobody is hiring. Step up and take responsibility for yourself instead of being dead weight on your family. This isnt filling out 10 online applications a day, it's making connections with employees and employers you might end up working with, so ask yourself why they would consider working with you. If your town really has a job dry up then move somewhere or commute.

Sick of these lazy faggots saying they cant find jobs when every mexican i meet says he works two jobs. Want to know why? Because jose isnt crying on an inuit skiing website about how their parents expect them to work.
>>
File: handshakedadtakesyoutoapply.png (2MB, 716x649px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedadtakesyoutoapply.png
2MB, 716x649px
>>18603249
"Winners never quit, Champ. When I was your age, I got my first job at the factory by walking to the interview in the middle of a snowstorm after my Mustang wouldn't start. It was the worst snowstorm in state history, and the manager was so impressed that he looked me in the eye, shook my hand, and hired me right on the spot. It's all about taking the initiative, Champ. And it's as simple as walking into the place, speaking with the manager, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you're the right man for the job. Where there's a will, there's a way, Champ."
>>
>>18602745
It's called nepotism
>>
File: BOOMERS.png (307KB, 968x634px) Image search: [Google]
BOOMERS.png
307KB, 968x634px
>>18604067
>>
That's actually how I got most of my jobs, but I work in an unusual field.

I remember my aunt talking to my younger brother about college, though. He's 21, and he said he's saving up because he's unsure what he wants to do. She suggested that he do a 4 year course while he figures it out, and then go to school for his passion. He laughed in her face because he genuinely thought she was joking.
>>
>>18604146
fag
>>
>>18602319
It's pretty awful. I almost wasn't able to go to summer school because my dad wanted me to get a job in my college town (which was 5 hours away). I even got called back by a couple places but they said they couldn't guarantee me a job by the time I got there since they were campus jobs.
>>
>>18602365
So then what fucking advice do you want.
>>
>>18602512
Excuses will get you nowhere, that was good advice for a neet.
>>
File: 1382126229227.jpg (31KB, 325x475px) Image search: [Google]
1382126229227.jpg
31KB, 325x475px
>>18605699
>>
>>18602698
It's actually gone down the past month.
>>
>>18602772
You've only been with them a month and you're mad they aren't giving you awards?
>>
>>18602319
Depends heavily on the country you live in. It is easy as fuck in germany to get a job since everyone is going out to university and nobody goes for the lower to middleclass jobs (other then immigrants).
You really have to be a full blown retard or social outcast to not get any job.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.