[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll keep it short an simple but here the dilemma. We are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I'll keep it short an simple but here the dilemma.

We are both Christians but of other denominations, I'm not religious but it is apart of my identity, the girl I'm seeing is very religious and its a huge part of her culture.
I'm not comfortable with even talking about this but she shoved marriage into my face and thought I would be okay with becoming a part of her denomination and under her church. She doesn't understand how it all works so she thought she would do the same through mine, but I'm not okay with changing that factor or doing that.

Who is right or wrong? I'm not willing to give that away but I would never ask her to give it away. She says if we can't then she is giving it away and If I can't then I'm giving myself away.

The way I also see it, is I'm the man, she is marrying in to be a part of my life. Not only would this effect my family but if it was the case children blah blah blah. Now I genuinely like this girl, to me its real but I can't help but see it as why compromise, I'm not asking her to throw it away and I would never force any of my beliefs or anything onto her nor have I.

TL;DR

>Both same religion different denominations
>One has to change to the other in order for marriage
>Im not religious; she is
>I want to keep my identity
>She doesn't want to lose her community or culture

What happens at this point lol?
>>
I'm worried that by her going against that, that it becomes compromises and I vowed to never call something a compromise in a relationship. It should happen regardless yet this dilemma is like she created that.
>>
we wouldn't know we don't have girlfriends.
>>
>>18597026
Learn about being unequally yoked
>>
>>18597134
thanks for your zero input, next time learn that if it has nothing to do with whats being asked to shut your fucking dry mouth.
>>
>>18597175
Da fuck you talking about? Look it up you faggot
>>
>>18597223
I meant is right or wrong that I'm not willing to part from it despite not being religious. Not if the relationship is right or not unless someone has had a similar experience and can chime in.
>>
>>18597026
>denominations

Looking at it on the level of "who has to change" is a terrible idea, and grounds for lasting bitterness either way. Don't do that.

Instead, you may find it useful to look at the matter on the level of a theological discussion, though that's deeper than 4chan usually gets. Have a frank discussion on what you and her actually believe. The specific differences between your denominations exist somewhere within those details. Whatever you're 'giving up' (or asking her to give up) is potentially one of those details. If, on reflection, that particular point is not one that you feel particularly strongly about, why fight over it? Otherwise, if your differences are in fact, truly irreconcilable, reconsider the whole marriage thing.
>>
>>18597026
>thought I would be okay with becoming a part of her denomination and under her church

So.. is she asking you to become religious, or just join her church+denomination?

In any case, in the Biblical model of the family, the man leads - in all contexts, including spiritually. So where the family goes to church is your decision. And it sounds like your decision is to let each partner do their own thing.

If she doesn't like it, then she shouldn't marry you.

This doesn't mean that you should be an obstinate dick - i say hear her out; explore the option, etc. I'm not religious either, but I consider it to be a good thing. But yeah, end of the day, you've got rank on her/decision is yours.

>>18597134
>>18597175
>>18597223

Actually OP, >>18597134 is relevant. The principle of 'yoking' refers to attaching two oxen to a plow. If each ox has a different idea of what direction to go, the thing is not going to work. Applied to relationships, this is usually mentioned in reference to the disparity of worldview/objectives of a believer and a non-believer. But the principle still can still apply in lesser scenarios. In this case, religious and non-religious. Basically, the Bible is just saying that when it comes to relationships, make sure that both parties are on the same page and have the same objectives. In your scenario, it sounds like this may possibly not be the case (or at least as much as it could be).
>>
>>18597244
thanks, I deeply appreciate it and I will follow this.
>>
>>18597323
yeah thanks appreciate it as well, don't like hearing it but what can you do. Its a lot to ask and I'm uncomfortable just talking about marriage.
>>
>>18597026
You go to your church and she goes to hers. Problem solved.

(I personally know of two Jewish-Catholic marriages that are doing just fine with that plan.)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.