[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some urgent advice about how to take care of my father.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1499436918161.png (292KB, 401x616px) Image search: [Google]
1499436918161.png
292KB, 401x616px
I need some urgent advice about how to take care of my father.
I'm a 21 yo neet who's been living with my father for 3 years. It's been going as well as you'd expect but recently my dad's health has completely tanked; he can't walk, can barely sit up on his own, and is reliant on me for everything which is even harder because he's 300+ pounds and I can barely move him. And I think his mental state has been getting worse too. On top of that he's a heavy smoker and drinker and hasn't been able to get any in a while and the withdrawal is setting in so he's becoming really mean and persistent.
Hes even less responsible than I am so the house has gone to hell with no ac and no water. I can't drive and have no family or friends to help me. He's not going to die right this second or today or anything but I need to do something and feel completely lost.
>>
Slit his throat and be done with it
>>
Damnit. Well, does he have trustworthy family or friends? Do you have friends you can trust? This is gonna sound stupid but maybe go to a church and ask someone for advice on this situation. I say a church because I assume some people there will be willing to help or give their imput and might have contacts or know what to do in this situation (I say church but I mean whatever the equivalent of your religion is, otherwise if you are not religious I can only speak for a Catholic church because that's all I know).
>>
>>18595313
Your father kinda did it to himself with lots of irresponsible thing you mentioned.

Ask help from local volunteer organization like church or some kind of social people to take care of him, so you could be free from him without making yourself look too bad.
>>
>>18595329
No, no living family left at all and any friends he has he hasn't spoken to in years and live out of state.
There is a church we used to go to up until a few years ago.
I'm not really religious though, and not sure what to even say to them or to who.
>>
>>18595352
If he has no family left, what is he living for then?
You should give him back his smokes and booze to accelerate the process and make his homegoing faster.
>>
>>18595313
Talk to his doctor(s) for more expert advice than you can get here. Talk to social services or relevant charities (Doctor will point you) about aides, nurses or therapy for him. If he has insurance, see what it will cover.

Don't try to do it all yourself.
>>
>>18595352
Well I guess you could go there and if you see some group of people of any age I guess, but I guess preferably in their late 20s and above, you could ask them for advice on this situation and describe it the same way you posted on the OP. You can also mention that you used to go there but that you aren't religious. Of course not all Christians are guaranteed to be helpful but I assume a church should be a safe place for this. Hopefully they'll offer advice and be interested in helping. And maybe someone there has had a similar situation.
Idk what that church is like, in my particular case I found one where people in the community care a lot for each other most of the time. I hope you have good luck with this.
>>
>>18595313
Without drinking and smoking and without the ability to buy shitty food, he'll probably lose tons of weight and actually be able to help himself out more. Put him on a strict diet and fuck it if he tells at you for it, tell him his fat ass is losing weight so that he can care for himself.

If you can, get him to exercise in some way, just move his limbs and shit around so his muscles don't atrophy. Also make sure he eats a ton of protein, like protein bars, so his body doesn't cannibalize his muscle tissue as it slims down.

If you can get him back in acceptable shape, he will hopefully be motivated to stay that way and get even slimmer and take control of his life again.

Just make sure he stays away from smoke and booze.
>>
>>18595313
Also, get a damn driver's license. If your dad has a car, go practice driving it around the neighborhood. You HAVE to learn how to drive dude. It is completely irresponsible not knowing how to drive as an adult male.

Your dad gets benefits right? You should also apply for benefits. Use benefits to get water back. AC might take longer to get back, but water should be relatively not too hard to get back.

Your other option is to abandon him and let him get put in a care facility. Not a super great route, but might be ultimately good for him as they will get him back into shape enough to care for himself.

Of course, that means providing for yourself.
>>
>>18595363
I want to take him to a doctor but I can't even lift him so I'd need to have other people come over to help at the least.
What sort of relevant social services are there?

>>18595380
I definitely want to but my dad was pretty controlling and refused to teach me or let others. He really didn't want me to be able to leave I think because he's lonely after my mom died.
The water issue isn't directly from money but because we have a leak and would need to get the foundation redone to fix it all which would cost a bunch of money and leaving the water on would give us a $4k a month bill.
What kind of benefits would I even qualify for? I'm not savvy on any of this stuff.
>>
>>18595401
Step 1 here is for you to stop being timid. You are in control now. You are the dad now. You do whatever you want now. Take his car keys and drive his car. Is he says no, tell him that you're in charge now. Establish the new pecking order ASAP. This is essential to getting anything done. He will accept the new order because he's too incapable to fight it.

You should be able to get food stamps at the very least. Search for services in your county for low income people using Google, unemployment, food assistance, medical assistance, etc.
>>
>>18595401
Do you mean to say that he has not seen a doctor at all for his condition? Find a doctor who makes house calls - there are still a few - or phone a local hospital and explain that it is not an instant emergency but he needs either a doctor to come to him or an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

Once you have a diagnosis the doctor or hospital can point you toward social services.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.