[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How feasible is it for someone to learn programming and get a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1500258815525.jpg (19KB, 230x193px) Image search: [Google]
1500258815525.jpg
19KB, 230x193px
How feasible is it for someone to learn programming and get a decent job off of it with no prior training or schooling in it? I'd actually like to learn and I've started and got down some of the basics of Python, but would I need a degree to get a job? I don't really have the money right now to pay for classes and I'm not sure how much I'd qualify for in financial aid if I applied.
>>
>>18593890
You don't "need" one. Portfolio is more important. All the material they'd provide you with at some paid course is most likely ripped off from some free online source anyway. If you get a programming job, you'll spend most of your time teaching yourself anyway. It's a good idea to consider what you want to specialized in, since "programming" is such a broad field.

If you want to have a shot at getting a job, but can't be bothered with actually learning the subject, then you should probably focus on getting a degree.
>>
>>18593925
I actually am interested in learning, not sure if I should stick with python though.
>>
You need exp in a paid work env. People will tell you volunteer work will do but it will not (at least not that alone). You can teach yourself but be aware most places youll like apply will expect exp in the frameworks they use (usually 1 year or more). The problem becomes which framework to choose? Knowing the language is less important today than ever because, imo, anyone can learn basic syntax from a few dozen sites. The market is filled with code campers and reactor haxors... Point is places can be picky about who they want and hold out or be man bun fucktards who feel only people who were naturally attracted to their specific tooling config are worthy of thei non-gmo workplace. No one wants jr devs anymore either (at least not most of North America). With ALL of that said get the degree; not because you need it but because each year you can intern and hopefully by year 3 or 4 you get paid for your work and can put it on your resume as an actual job(ask the boss whrn the time comes). You could do all that without chasing the degree but you might as well since youll be living the lifestyle for a while. Good luck!
>>
>>18594054

this seems the same paradox of showing a girl interest without showing interest.

I have same issue of OP, and I'm studying hard. I want to be given the chance to make experience. Is it really that impossible? How to turn luck on your side?
>>
>>18593925

This is a great piece of advice, thanks
>>
>>18594073
There is a lot of myth surrounding the tech industry in the US outside of major cities; An even bigger myth around remote work. I think the best advice I can give you is get verifiable exp, that pays a paycheck. Seriously consider moving to a "tech" city (I.e. The valley, NYC, Dallas, etc) and start learning the ins and outs of devops. Develop a great github with only a few languages but a bunch of frameworks per language; if you are already coding in a number of languages make a different github per language and give the one pertaining to what language the job is wanting you for (programmers are ego maniacs who dont like people smarter than them; seeing that you are awesome in multiple languages will not go well for you ;) ). Most importantly, learn to solve problems in a multitude of different ways (I.e. Data patterns and data structures)
>>
>>18594039
Programming languages pretty much do the same shit, but are suited for different tasks. First mistake newbies do is being more concerned with the language than they are with actually doing stuff.

Good storytelling makes an author, not the language he writes the stories in.
>>
There are lots of cities who think they are the "future of tech" and their citizens think think a few months in a code camp will promise a future as a dev. Cities like Lincoln and Oklahoma City are starting to fall apart as all but their biggest tech companies crumble because the atartupa that moved there only wanted harvard caliber talent even though they were not themselves. It would be funny if it isnt so damn sad.
>>
>>18594097
That github advice is the dumbest shit I've heard in my life. Who told you that?
>>
Both extremely easy and extremely hard.
Here's both side of the story:

Pro:
-Programming isn't hard. Like my old mentor put it "Programming is 30 key words. The foreign legion uses 300."
It's litterally basic logic, applied to a problem. That means that if you have a logical mind and can plan ahead, it should come like breathing.

- Everyone sucks at programming. An MIT engineer will have on average 6 months of programming experience, most of it theorical, before being dropped into the shark pit.
That mean that getting "relatively" good only take you to power through it, focus on it, and most importantly, constantly re-assess yourself and improve your practice. Ask yourself what could have been done better.
The weakness of most "Software Engineers", is that they stopped learning after school, and don't want to keep learning.

-There is litterally more on a single good online tutorial than most college will be able to ever teach you. So go nuts.

Now the dark sides:
-First off: During the interview, the guy who needs you on his team won't take you on a good start, but if you actually learned and practiced, you should be able to prove him that you know your stuff and are a capable develloper quite easily.
But it's not him you will have to convince first, it's the HR slut that don't even knows what firefox is.So you will need to lie. Bullshit your resume. Throw buzzwords at it and sugarcoat your 2D alien invader as something that could have made E3, would you have had a team and more time and ressources. It's alright, the team leader will understand, even if he can't show it publicly.

-Motivation is hard to find. That I can't help you much. Simply remember that, everyone's code was once atrocious, and even a senior programmer look at his code unsatisfied. In fact I would even say that's what differentiate the good and the great. Always improve.
>>
>>18595076

HR are pure evil.

we need opportunities, just a chance to show up our qualities. Please don't throw our resumee into the toilet, don't send us on the streets begging for food. Be human, HR employee, if you are reading this.
>>
>>18593890
Get connections, make something slick to impress people.

Really, even if you went to school the important part would be socializing with other people going into the industry.
>>
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna try my hardest to learn and look for work.
>>
>>18593890
Simmilar boat. Use documentation and official stuff for learning. Also make projects. Others have said more desu.
>>
>>18596029
Did you find work in programming already?
>>
>>18593925
I have like three degrees and can't find a job to save my life. Fucking shithole of country.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.