[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone who knows about Meditation or Yoga tell me what is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Can someone who knows about Meditation or Yoga tell me what is the significance of focusing on your breathing is?
>>
it's an easy way to keep your thoughts clear
>>
*a wild guess*
Perhaps getting higher levels of oxygen than regular automatic breathing gets into your body.
>>
>>18593139
this. It doesnt have to be your breathing but you have to focus on something to stop your mind from wandering.

I hear some people focus on the tip of their nose.
>>
>>18593136
You can't stop thinking because "don't think of anything" is also a thought. So in order to stop your thoughts wandering you give your mind a simple task.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4PkrhH-bkpk
>>
>>18593148
Yeah, some also focus on "third eye", literally focusing thoughts and eye muscles on the general area on your forehead.
>>
>>18593163
Is that why I experience slight twitches on the forehead while I meditate?
>>
>>18593230
No, that's forehead cancer.
>>
Focusing on breathing is simple, can be done anywhere, and helps to quiet the mind. You can do it anyway you like, from simply being aware of the physical sensation, to picturing a white light filling and emptying you. The goal is to have something to anchor yourself to so you can step back. It's extremely difficult to completely still the mind, instead try allowing your thoughts to occur in whatever way they do and just observe them coming and going. If you're interested in meditation check out headspace. It's a neat little app for getting started.
>>
>>18593272
Thanks.
>>
>>18593303
Thank you so much for that.
>>
>>18593136
Slow belly breathing activates the nervus vagus which dominates in rest and relaxation, activates the organs of your digestive system and reliefs your heart
>>
>>18593136
a lot of things. It's really just a trick to get you into the right mindset of meditation.
I do an OMMMMMMMMM on the outbreath and let it trail off. Inhale and repeat.
>>
File: krishna.png (519KB, 602x452px) Image search: [Google]
krishna.png
519KB, 602x452px
>>18593136
Traditional meditative yoga doesn't include simply focusing on the breath, that's a Buddhist method for cultivating one-pointedness of mind. You can actually meditate on any single object as obtaining one-pointedness is the focus, the breath is simply the easiest for most. The philosophy behind this is that given enough time and concentration, the various disturbances of the mind will fall away. The traditional meditative system of yoga does not consist of this sole practice of following the breath, but is explained by Krishna to Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita:

"Shutting out all external sense objects, keeping the eyes and vision concentrated between the two eyebrows, suspending the inward and outward breaths within the nostrils—thus controlling the mind, senses and intelligence, the transcendentalist becomes free from desire, fear and anger. One who is always in this state is certainly liberated." (Bg 5.27)

However, one-pointed concentration and the meditative system of yoga is very difficult and ineffective in this age, and Arjuna even rejected it saying:

"O Madhusudana, the system of yoga which you have summarized appears impractical and unendurable to me, for the mind is restless and unsteady. For the mind is restless, turbulent, obstinate and very strong, O Krsna, and to subdue it is, it seems to me, more difficult than controlling the wind." (6.33-6.34)

The sum and substance of all yoga systems is to control the agitated mind and attain union with the divine. However, even an immensely qualified man such as Arjuna dismissed the system of meditative yoga as too difficult. Therefore, later in the Gita Krishna recommends other systems of yoga such as karma-yoga and jnana-yoga, but lays out bhakti-yoga to be the topmost system of yoga and the most effective.

"He whose mind is fixed on My personal form, always engaged in worshiping Me with great and transcendental faith, is considered by Me to be most perfect." (12.2)
>>
>>18594259
Therefore, the mind must always be fixed on Krishna. Insofar as the mind is absorbed in thoughts of God, we have attained the perfection of yoga. The practice of bhakti-yoga can be perfectly executed in this age by the chanting of the mahamantra: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. Because God is absolute, the names of God are nondifferent from him. It is through this transcendental sound vibration that the restless mind is gradually brought to peace under the control of the Self.
>>
>>18593136
Breathing is one technique of many, but it is commonly used in many different religious traditions, especially Buddhism, but also in secular mindfulness type training. Here's an audio pack of guided meditations including breath meditation which will be very useful to getting started: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9avnnk9e5180bon/Meditation.zip
and some light reading on meditation in general: http://www.meditationexpert.com/ebok/howtomeditate.pdf
>>
>>18594259
>>18594358
>>18594061
>>18593436
You all have no idea how much that helped me. Thank you lots. :D Good day!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.