[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been browsing /adv/ for months looking for the answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Van Gogh.jpg (258KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
Van Gogh.jpg
258KB, 800x609px
I've been browsing /adv/ for months looking for the answer of a question I don't know
>>
>>18591379
What are you feeling?
>>
>>18591379
What question
>>
File: 1490146256184.jpg (48KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490146256184.jpg
48KB, 960x960px
>>18591381
kinda empty. there's nothing wrong with my life, but there's nothing much exciting in it either. I have my hobbies and all, but maybe it's not enough.
since I started working and dropped uni, I also gave up the ilussion that life is a linear upward progress, and I feel trapped in my routine.
I can't help but being constantly aware of the transient nature of everything
>>
Distract yourself. Entertainment is a necessity in life regardless of what kind of entertainment you like. This means you'll have to try new things as well.
>>
>>18591402
no matter what you do, youll be dead one day
>>
>>18591402
talk to some people you trust and who know you irl. just tell them the issue as purely and honestly as you are telling us. they'll be able to read your body language, ask you the right probing questions, and maybe even give you advice that is specific to you (since they'll know you)

If you don't have anyone to do this with, maybe just meeting someone you're close to like that would solve the emptiness
>>
Explain further.

I know you're getting that depression hit because you dropped out of uni and don't know what to do with your life, but there must be something that does interest you, at least gets you curious.
>>
>>18591402
i'm sort of in your position OP. i dropped out of uni due to laziness, depression and financial strife, and started working instead. the day-to-day routine sucks the life from you. i became more depressed and even less sure of my direction in life.
i realised that i just have to appreciate things for what they are. enjoy the moment while you have it, because sooner or later, you won't have it any longer. savour the good times and the bad times by being entirely present and not letting your mind wander. you have to feel bad to know you can feel good.
the knowledge that there is no positive without negative - and vice versa - is incredibly freeing. life stops being a constant pursuit of good feelings and becomes so much simpler as a result. in a way, you revert back to your child-like peace of mind.
however you shouldn't fall into the trap of accepting everything that happens to you under the guise of having no control over it. you do have some agency, and you have to utilise it to carve some sort of path for yourself and more importantly, create your own personal meaning and purpose.
while it's fine to adopt the philosophy of other people, i feel that it doesn't address you personally. it's the philosophy of people who were born under different circumstances, have been raised differently and have experienced different things. while they may have ideas that resonate with you, the way they incorporate those ideas are almost always different, so it's important to take the core beliefs and structure them into a framework that makes sense for you.
to give a personal example, i take ideas from eastern philosophy like the idea of reality being ultimately non-dual and in constant change, and also the idea that our way of perceiving or describing reality is ultimately dualistic, as well as western ideas such as stoicism and greek cynicism and amalgamating them into an internally consistent and personally fulfilling belief system.
>>
>>18591619
cont.
i know that post read like a bit of a ramble but i hope i got the general ideas across.
the best way to wake yourself up a bit is to go for a walk in nature, completely away from any sort of man-made things. notice how all the trees, rodents, plants, birds etc each have their own struggles with which to deal. while it may not be as cerebral as your own, it's a noble struggle nonetheless. a tree has to compete with other trees for sunlight and water, a squirrel has to hoard as much nuts as it can for the winter, a bird has to find food for its young. notice how they go about their daily lives without a single moment of reluctance or hesitation. they don't stop to question their existence, or their place in the world. and here is where the self-awareness and intelligence of our species becomes a double-edged sword.
in my personal belief, it is not natural for a living thing to question its existence and try to find a deeper meaning in life, especially considering the fact that there is no meaning there. we build entire belief systems out of the struggle for meaning (absurdism, existentialism), not realising that our capacity for intellect was intended purely for survival and reproduction. once those needs are met, our capacity for intelligence becomes the tool for self-serving and egotistical ends. we build societies and technologies for the sole purpose of making life easier for ourselves, and in this pursuit we lose our connection to the natural world. we lose ourselves in abstract ideas with no connection to reality and eventually begin to take our mental picture of reality - the one formed through language, concepts and numbers - to be reality-in-and-of-itself. and while this conceptual version of reality is useful within the system we've created for ourselves, it's never an accurate representation, and should never be treated as such.
>>
You will never have all the answers, you will never be prepared for everything. You just need to act anyway
>>
>>18591619
>>18591636
God fucking damn it, anon.
The other anon won't read a damn thing of what you wrote.

But you just wrote some of the wisest words I have ever read on /adv/, probably you could even compete with the smarter boards with your own kind of philosophical system.

Worth the read, OP.
Don't be a lazy nigger and read his words.
>>
Thanks everyone itt.
>>18591619
>>18591636
I really appreciate it. We share the same views on philosophy, it was a very reassuring read... wouldn't it be nice to have a friend you can relate this much with? I'm currently saving all my money since I live with my parents and I lead a cheap lifestyle. I dream of moving to the countryside to live a slow paced life. But I also wonder if I'm not just escaping 'reality' and if that wouldn't create just another set of problems. I'm sorry I can't leave a longer reply, I'm on my phone on my way to work
>>
>>18591379
Hahaha that fucking picture, so perfect.
>>
>>18591636
Your begining is perfect, but the conclusion is not.
Questioning ourselves is the exclusive ability we the human beings have been given by the nature. You cannot say that it is unnatural, because it is simply the only thing that makes animal a human being.
Also it is wrong, that we live nothing but for reproduction and survival - saying that you simply deny any solely human phenomenons like love, empathy, sorrow.
The truth is that even if there was The Grand Absolute Meaning Of All Times, it would be way beyond your (our) comprehension. But. You still can, find meaning in your life.
Generally speaking, meanings are everywhere. You might ask, how do you find them.
Are you passionate about music? You can make it the meaning of your life. Are you pissed off because you cant find some important stuff around your local supermarket? Go ahead and open bakery or pharmacy, make it your meaning of life. Do you become angry when someone you care about cant afford sonething? You can go and get some job to make some money for that, it would be a perfect meaning of life.
You now when it is it with your guts, because you are human being, you know what is right and what is not. Use your conscience and listen to your heart.
To sum up, not only you "can" find meaning of life, but you should and must do it. It is our prerogative as human beings.
>>
>>18592388
In addition to everything i said, i suggest you (btw everybody itt) to read Victor Frankl, "Mans search for Meaning"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.