[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to become legitimately ***fucking good*** at the guitar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (192KB, 2374x1335px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
192KB, 2374x1335px
I want to become legitimately ***fucking good*** at the guitar in as structured and efficient a manner as possible. I've tried checking out local teachers but they all seem geared towards children and/or only teach a basic level.

Halp, /adv/
>>
>>18590421
Well, what level are you at, anon?

I'd say check /mu/ and /gg/. It's mostly full of fa/gg/ots, but usually anons there are helpful.

My advice - get a teacher. You don't know everyithing and a teacher can fix a lot of self-taught quirks you might have in your playing.

Also, practice every day. Don't hurt yourself. Keep good posture. Stretch before playing. Always have a goal in mind. And have fun!
>>
>>18590426
Look up a book called the Guitar Grimoire, practice scales, practice using all four fingers, and just practice fundamentals over and over and over again until you want to kill yourself, then practice them more.

The thing about guitar, like an activity that requires fine motor skills, is that you need to develop muscle memory for them. If you go too quickly you're going to lack the proper motor skills to have proper technique to actually do these things, and it's less about being "good" than it is about having your fundamentals down, no matter how easy they are.

Anyone can play a G major scale, but if you have only played a G major scale once, you'll never be able to move onto advanced technique where you really get to play the cool shit.

Everybody develops these motor skills at different paces just because people are naturally better or worse at guitar. If something is taking you a while, don't give up just because it's taking longer than you expect. It's not a sign of impossibility.
>>
https://www.justinguitar.com/
/mu/ always shares this guys stuff every time a guitar general pops up. I've been playing guitar half of my life so I can't vouch for the website since I've never felt a need to visit it but a lot of people swear by it.

Agreeing with the other anon as well. Practice every day. Don't practice until you're literally exhausted though. Play for an hour, maybe more or less depending on how you feel, and stop when you feel you've accomplished something before exhaustion sets in.
>>
>>18590435
I see like 10 books with that name, which one? And does it come with its own instructions?
>>
>>18590448
Get the black and red one (has a complete list of every scale and mode). It's not in itself a guide as it is a road map or a tool kit. You'll need to pick some beginner stuff from it, practice those, and later on when you start to get better you'll see how these scales are integrated into tasty guitar shit like what you might hear from Native Daughters or Leviathan.

Like I said, things you need to practice are scales, up and down picking (something I learned the importance of after playing years of violin), using your fingers properly (this is the least intuitive thing since nobody can really give you an in-depth guide on WHY or WHEN to do it, you'll just learn the more you play), and playing things that utilize all your strings and require you to shift your hand, if even just by a few frets.

These are bare-bones beginner things you need to do and these are things even the pros do. If you start thinking you're too good for fundamentals, you'll never be good at guitar. Don't rush anything.
>>
>>18590439
I like justin's program a lot but it's focused very heavily around chord-based rhythm playing. You need other sources if you wanna get some precision virtuoso type of stuff going on.
>>
>>18590421
because guitar is something you teach yourself. if you're really having trouble taking off, maybe learn the basics with a classical instructor and buy guitar pro (this would be more for fun, using tabs to learn your favorite songs) or something
>>
>>18590496
>Guitar is something you teach yourself

Very not true, sure some people can with success but that's the exception not the rule. As someone that works in this 95% of self taught guitarists that I see are a mess and have a lot of random ass holes in their knowledge
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.