[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My uncle passed away about a year ago. He was a very interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: P5190558.jpg (1MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
P5190558.jpg
1MB, 3200x2400px
My uncle passed away about a year ago. He was a very interesting tinkerer and was mechanically inclined. My aunt is going through and having an estate sale and is selling off his old Dodge that was his baby that he didn't get to finish before he died. I've offered to buy it and restore it. I have the money and resources, but everyone around me is telling me it's not a good idea (too expensive, no storage) and it's disheartening. I have this feeling that I want to finish it for him and prove to everyone I can. I always felt like the males in my family never truly respected me and this is my chance to grow up. Should I do what I want or listen to others?
>>
if you have the financial means, and it makes you happy, fuck em.

i'll warn you, its a deep rabbit hole restoring cars....

a satisfactory paint job on that is going to come in close to $10k if you want it to last.
>>
>>18589326
If the car means that much to you, get it. If not, then you wouldnt feel much if it were gone. You don't have to gain the respect of others if you have self respect. Trying to cater to mass appeal only discourages oneself. Just do what makes you happy really.

As for the car, get her in running condition i guess. Finding oem parts can be a hassle for older cars mate. /o/ can sometimes help, but don't count on it. If you can find an engine that can be placed in there with little work, little fabrication and more obtainable parts, then i would go that route.
>>
>>18589326

External respect aside, i would do it for the uncle. To honor him and for his memory.

This reason is so good and honorable on its own that it outweighs all else imo.
>>
Well anon if it means that much to you and you have the money go for it. What all is left to do on it? What model?
>>
>>18589404
This I really what I want. Other family aside I know he would have wanted me to finish what he started. It's a 1972 Dodge demon, he was a big Mopar guy. He had aquired all the parts needed to make it run. Just a matter of putting it together. Thanks for the advice
>>
>>18589859
Sounds like you got it set then. You can worry about paint and aesthetics and shit once you have it mechanically sound.

I don't know what to do about storage though if you have no garage for it. For parts at least you can rent a storage unit I guess.
>>
>>18589326
Get it, finish it, fuck a girl in it. Make your uncle proud op.
>>
>>18589859
Dude if you have the parts then go for it. If you cant afford paint right now spray paint it to keep it from rusting until you can. If you need help /diy/ is probably better than /o/ its got old fags a plenty that know these cars
>>
Go for it dude
They said you can't, so show em wrong
>>
File: 1478669250022.jpg (18KB, 600x319px) Image search: [Google]
1478669250022.jpg
18KB, 600x319px
Do what you want. Life is too short. Also Dodge Dusters are cool muscle cars.
>>
>>18590094
P.S. Sorry about your Uncle passing.
>>
>>18590011
Finish the car.
Finish in a girl in the car.
Get her pregnant in the car.
Name the kid after your uncle.
>>
Don't let emotions get in the way. If you don't have the skills to do half the work yourself, it can turn into a money pit. You've already said that you have the money and resources for the project, may as well go for it. Parts for the car in the photo are easily available. Just watch your budget and don't let costs get out of control. When you get done, you'll have a sweet ride, as well as a piece of family history. As far as gaining respect from other people, that's a whole other problem.
>>
>>18590285
THIS. True murrican way.
>>
>>18589326
As someone who owns a classic car.
Pros:
Unique
The sound
The smell
The feel
New cars can't compete in terms of classiness and old school feel
People will almost always come up and talk to you if you like that sort of thing

Cons:
Maintenance
Parts can sometimes be difficult to find
Hard to find parts can be expensive
Safety
Not having at least a basic mechanical skill

To inherit an old school family car is a noble cause.
>>
>>18590482
>>18590285
Dont forget, have her give birth in the car while you are on the way to the hospital
>>
>>18589326
That looks really expensive. I would try to get a realistic price estimate from a professional before deciding. It looks like you basically just have a shell of a car.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.